The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Guest 2434

clarkson? good riddance (nasty creature).
Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Of course, I juast twigged, with the absence of Clarkson, Hammond and May, what the show now lacks is a truly British sense of humour, and ridiculousness. Their interaction was purely British, and that cannot be replaced.
This right here... ^^^^

Many other countries have tried to replicate British humor.. And it has never worked.... It always lacks the edge...

But there is another factor here... In this case - it's trying to replace the original Monty Python with a 3rd rate imitation of The Three Stooges...

No doubt what happened is that the program went HUGE... The writers and stars wanted a cut of the action.. The studio execs gave them the finger... Because Studio Execs are the talent - the actors and writers are just dirty, Noisy, and replaceable cogs in the wheel... And so it goes....

If they really wanted it to be a success with a truly American flavor - they would have shoved in David Freyburger, Mike Finnegan, and Tony DeAngelo...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
This right here... ^^^^

Many other countries have tried to replicate British humor.. And it has never worked.... It always lacks the edge...

But there is another factor here... In this case - it's trying to replace the original Monty Python with a 3rd rate imitation of The Three Stooges...

No doubt what happened is that the program went HUGE... The writers and stars wanted a cut of the action.. The studio execs gave them the finger... Because Studio Execs are the talent - the actors and writers are just dirty, Noisy, and replaceable cogs in the wheel... And so it goes....
Er..that's not what happened at all.

Top Gear was Clarkson and Andy Wilman ( Wilman was Executive Producer and and an old school friend of Clarkson's) They devised the format and wrote most of the material.

Clarkson had to go because he punched another of the show's producers. He had already been warned for a number of previous 'incidents'

The BBC didn't fire Clarkson, they just didn't renew his contract. They had no choice.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Er..that's not what happened at all.

Top Gear was Clarkson and Andy Wilman ( Wilman was Executive Producer and and an old school friend of Clarkson's) They devised the format and wrote most of the material.

Clarkson had to go because he punched another of the show's producers. He had already been warned for a number of previous 'incidents'

The BBC didn't fire Clarkson, they just didn't renew his contract. They had no choice.

That and his stunt with that license plate in the South America episode.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
That and his stunt with that license plate in the South America episode.
That was entirely coincidental.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 AM
Guest 1511

My eventual decline in watching TV was due to those three leaving the show (Clarkson being fired of course). I have seen every original episode at least twice, and some of my favorites more than that. Their 2-hour specials were some of the best TV ever (next to Breaking Bad and True Detective season 1). It was the chemistry between those three, led by the antics of Clarkson that made that show such epic entertainment.

I haven't seen their new attempt at reviving the magic, The Grand Tour, but I'll bet it is at least close to what they had over at TG and I'll eventually subscribe to Amazon and watch them all in some kind of binge indulgence. I haven't watched a single episode of the UK version since the original cast left. I watched a few episodes of the Australian and the USA versions and I felt it would just be more of that ho-hum kind of TV, which were attempts at mimicking the UK version, and never succeeding.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I felt it would just be more of that ho-hum kind of TV, which were attempts at mimicking the UK version, and never succeeding.
Yes... This.. Except not really "mimicking"... See my comments about replacing Monty Python with a third rate imitation of The Three Stooges..

Jeremy Clarkson was the whole entire reason the show worked in the first place... Difficult to work with or not - HE was the show...

There are other characters that would work as well or better.. I listed a group above which have great on-screen chemistry and are funny in their own rite.. But they are definately very much American - not British.. And it looks like they tried to pick a cast to broaden their appeal outside the US and UK....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 AM

I like watching the one with Tanner Faust, Rut, and the other guy.

I know it's all staged and whatnot, but it's entertaining.

I find the British version a little long-winded (just my opinion). I have difficulty listening to British accents for more than a few minutes.

I'm from the South, and I simply can't hear that fast.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm from the South, and I simply can't hear that fast.
So you are saying that replacing the current cast with the group from Jersey Shore or The Kardashians wouldn't be your optimum solution?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic