The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-17-2016, 02:47 AM

Default How to Increase voice volume?

I recorded a song yesterday and found out that the guitar's sound was louder than my voice, I want them to be equal.

Is there anyway to increase the volume of my voice using any free softwares?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi Brixton, (is that you or your location?)

Playing guitar whilst singing is as an accompaniment to your voice. A n accompaniment louder than the vocals, as is so popular in pop music nowadays, is pointless.

I originally suffered similarly, as whilst Ihad taught myself guitar, I hadn't really learnt to use the other instrument - my voice.

By happy coincidence a young lady at a folk club that i frequented announced that she was going to become a singing teacher. I became her first client.

Some people can use their voice instinctively , and some not, but most can be taught.

It took a remarkably short time (a few weeks) for me to "find my voice" and how to understand how to control airflow, and sound levels.

It would be impossible for me to try to pass on the information I gained on this forum, but I recommend that you seek out a singing teacher, and I hope that it will benefit you as it did me.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Brixton, (is that you or your location?)

Playing guitar whilst singing is as an accompaniment to your voice. A n accompaniment louder than the vocals, as is so popular in pop music nowadays, is pointless.

I originally suffered similarly, as whilst Ihad taught myself guitar, I hadn't really learnt to use the other instrument - my voice.

By happy coincidence a young lady at a folk club that i frequented announced that she was going to become a singing teacher. I became her first client.

Some people can use their voice instinctively , and some not, but most can be taught.

It took a remarkably short time (a few weeks) for me to "find my voice" and how to understand how to control airflow, and sound levels.

It would be impossible for me to try to pass on the information I gained on this forum, but I recommend that you seek out a singing teacher, and I hope that it will benefit you as it did me.
It's my location, I think my mouth was too far from the microphone ( I thought it would be equal when It was far but it turns out the guitar was louder than my voice )

My question is, are there any editing ways to seperate the sound of my voice and guitar so I can increase my voice volume?
Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post
It's my location, I think my mouth was too far from the microphone ( I thought it would be equal when It was far but it turns out the guitar was louder than my voice )
Impossible to say accurately without knowing how you actually recorded it . You need to list exactly what you did.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM

Assuming you used one mic to record both vocal and guitar at the same time, there won't be any good editing techniques to get your voice louder. EQing might help a little, but not much.
Now you have learned that mic position is crucial. Or that you should record the two parts separately.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

My question is, are there any editing ways to separate the sound of my voice and guitar so I can increase my voice volume?
Well, why not record the guitar part first, on one channel, then the vocals with the guitar on playback in to enclosed headphones?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Guest4562

Buy another mic and a small mixer. Put one mic on your instrument and one for voice. Pan one hard left, one hard right. You now will have a stereo recording that you can balance and mix down to mono.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I recorded a song yesterday and found out that the guitar's sound was louder than my voice, I want them to be equal.

Is there anyway to increase the volume of my voice using any free softwares?

Thanks.
Aside from a freeware patch, what would you do if you were singing and playing without two microphones?

Play more softly and/or sing louder, right?

Do you know how to support your voice and breathe from the diaphragm?

George
Old 06-18-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Quote:
Impossible to say accurately without knowing how you actually recorded it . You need to list exactly what you did.

I recorded it by putting my phone ( using the earphone's microphone ) in front of my amplifier where the guitar and mic goes together.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Quote:

My question is, are there any editing ways to separate the sound of my voice and guitar so I can increase my voice volume?
Well, why not record the guitar part first, on one channel, then the vocals with the guitar on playback in to enclosed headphones?
I was using my loop pedal for a live performance so I couldn't.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I recorded a song yesterday

Thanks.
My apologies, what I meant was make a cover for a song live using a loop pedal. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Reading the title of this thread, I was about to suggest some ways for strengthening one's voice. It's a system of muscles and ligaments and cartilage, so there are ways to "work out" one's voice to gain strength, flexibility and control, but I see that's not the question here. Glad I checked first!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD