The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Finally doing some early "spring cleaning" over the holidays, so I thought I'd snap a quick photo of my current setup before I mess it all up again!

Mixing location:

Recording corrner:

Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Recording corrner:
2 Brauner VM1s? Jeez. Nice gear.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha

Aloha,

And two Barefoot MM27's!!!

Nice Pic's Doug.

alohachris
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Not to mention (looks like) a couple Scheops and a Bricasti M7

Doug do you like a particular M7 preset for Acou. GTR?
So Far I have been trying different spaces. Although I have settled On the "Sunset Chamber " with a bit longer pre-delay for my personal vocals. And I like the "Long Wood Room" for drums and percussion.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
N
Doug do you like a particular M7 preset for Acou. GTR?
So Far I have been trying different spaces. Although I have settled On the "Sunset Chamber " with a bit longer pre-delay for my personal vocals. And I like the "Long Wood Room" for drums and percussion.
I haven't had enough time to spend with it. My initial impression was that everything sounded good! Hard to choose. I have Studio A and Guitar Room on fast keys at the moment. Concert Wave is a fun one - a bit over the top. I'll check out the ones you're using.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Ok, I ain't afeared...

Well, somebody's gotta represent the white-trash, hillbilly-hack, slob contingency here, so might as well be me .

It's a very tight space, but also in fact a corner of our basement area, which is my "office" -- the recording stuff only comes out three or four times a year -- so the "room" opens at one end out into essentially the family room, which is where the band usually practices or, most nights, my wife and I sit by the woodstove.

Pics snapped a few minutes ago as I'm deep into a blissful couple weeks of recording newer songs. I seem to work best knee deep in controlled chaos. They call me "The Anti Doug"

Last edited by tdrake; 12-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
I seem to work best knee deep in controlled chaos. They call me "The Anti Doug"
Don't get the wrong idea. That nice clean desk in my photo is usually piled 2 feet deep with stuff, and a cat walking around over it all!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Don't get the wrong idea. That nice clean desk in my photo is usually piled 2 feet deep with stuff, and a cat walking around over it all!
Whew!

Oh, and one of our cats sits at my feet down here, but the other sits on the upstairs desk.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM

I have a very simple, low budget setup. Main purpose is recording work in progress and demos. If I take my time I can get decent demos out of it.

Usually go direct through ART DPS II preamp -> Behringer tube compressor -> BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer.

Sometimes I will mic as well using MXL 990s aimed at the sound hole and fingerboard.

Other times I will use my electric pedalboard for Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive -> Boss Chorus -> Boss RE-20 Space Echo to get an edgier sound.

And sometimes, I just plug into my Egnater Rebel 30 combo and see what happens.

I record on an old Korg D1600 mk II

Veillette Baritone 6
Veillette Baritone 12
Veillette Terz 6
Veillette Terz 12 (in progress)
Veillette Gryphon 12
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 654ce
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I just upgraded my setup (eBay for $185 with all three capsules...won't arrive til next week tho).

Someday, hopefully, maybe, I'll either get thru one of these recording binges without upgrading something OR I'll be be smart enough to upgrade BEFORE I start because, as usual, this mic won't arrive until my winter break is over and I'm busy again.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM

What's your studio/recording space like?
12 x 12 bedroom dedicated to studio

What are your goals for recording your acoustic music?
Have fun and share my stuff with others.

What kind of music do you like to play/record?
Americana style and some crossover country/pop

Is your studio space treated? How?
I have an sE acoustic filter that I like and some blankets and rugs strewn about the wall and floor

What's in your mic locker?
AT 2035
Neumann KMS 105
SM57
SM58
EV 767
EV 247
EV 367

Computer-based or standalone recorder?
I use Ableton Live, Ozone Izotope and a RME Babyface sound interface. My computer is a newly built I7 beast running Windows 8

New gear you have your eye on?
Enough gear for a while I want an Banjitar next, or a dobro.

How has home recording evolved for you?
Been doing it self taught for 4 years I am a tweaker so I love this stuff.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM

A corner of a small room in our basement.

All instrumental music - something along the lines of ambient/soundtrack music. I like to mix acoustic instruments with electronic/ambient sounds.

Not treated at all. I tend to close mic my acoustic guitar and add reverb etc.

a pair of Naiant X-Q mics
a Behringer B-5 condensor

Computer based.

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc. Whatever you use.
Using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface. Using reaper. Sill using hi-fi speakers as monitors. I use an Oxygen MIDI keyboard for recording keyboards or sounds. Use a bunch of various (free) VSTs.

Favorite mic pattern/placement for recording acoustic guitar?
Usually just the condensor mic pointed at the 12th-14th fret.

The most recent shot I have of my recording space:

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Just one end of my bedroom, since it's the only space available. Carpeted, 8'6" high, 11' wide, 13' 6" long.

What are your goals for recording your acoustic music?

I mostly enjoyed recording for myself, but I plan on releasing an album shortly.

For years I played rock/metal, but lately I've been playing all acoustic, and it's all instrumental since I don't sing.

I've got homemade bass traps, and other acoustic panels to tame reverb and other reflections.

Shure SM57, AKG D5, Samson C01, Samson C03

Computer based

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc. Whatever you use.

Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Mackie 1202-VLZ3 mixer, Delta 1010 interface, Ashly LM308 line mixer, Yamaha HS80M monitors, mostly plugins that come with PT.

Favorite mic pattern/placement for recording acoustic guitar?

I've been using mid-side quite a bit, but I've started using XY.

New gear you have your eye on?

Two CAD E70 microphones(which I'll be getting soon).

How has home recording evolved for you?

Started out with a 4-track deck, moved up to digital 8-track, 12-track, then Pro Tools. Learned a lot at school for audio engineering, and do a lot of reading, experimenting. I just keep trying to learn new things.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Default my setup

Folk, Americana, Country (Singer/songwriter and rough demo recording)
Pro Tools 10
MBox 3 Pro interface
Martin D-35
LR Baggs Venue DI , Anthem Tru mic pickup
Genz Benz Shen Pro
Shure PG42 and SM 58 mic's
Shure Shr440 Headphones
ACER touchscreen laptop for editing in Pro Tools
Ipad2 on mic stand with Songwrited HD for lyrics and chords scrolling

Last edited by Magic Mike; 02-02-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Images upside down
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Default Is there anything more basic than "Barebones"?

Interesting thread......glad it got brought back up to the top. I probably shouldn't even be reading this subforum, let alone posting on it, as i am only a small step or two beyond feeding a kid's cassette recorder's mic into my guitar's soundhole...

I have a Blue "Snowball" USB mic, which i've set on the top surface of a small wooden cd rack turned on its end to get the correct height. I sit in a squeaky vinyl office chair with intrusive arms.

Since the mic is tethered to the desktop computer, and the computer is in the basement, that's my recording room. Carpet, with paneling and sort of a spongy drywallesque walling......and a huge double sliding-glass door separating me from the back yard. No sound treatment, to say the last.

That's it. Point and shoot, plug and play. I have an acoustic guitar, a usb mic and a computer with one speaker, so i 'mix' with a pair of throwaway walkman headphones. DAW is Reaper, which for a newbie can be unfriendly at times but we're getting along better over time.

I've only had the mic for less than two years, and have taken up fingerstyle in that time, so much of what i record is played that way. Very infrequent covers, mostly all original creations. Don't know how to describe it musically, as it's not bluegrass or celtic or weepy folk or newagey Windham Hill-y, nor ambient nor hard rocking.......it's just me playing around on my guitar. Never furiously fast, nor coma-inducingly slow.....usually just kinda.....moderately paced.

Here is my most-recent one: https://soundcloud.com/atljs/wondrous-world-raw-take

Typically it's just one track of solo guitar, but one of my favorite things about being able to record is learning about layering and multitracking. It's been a bunch of fun and a real learning experience, and it's certainly enhanced my creativity and expanded how i think about composing/creating.

At this point it's just for me and a handful of patient, understanding listeners. But somehow one day i would love to share what i write with others. I come up with something new almost daily, and if nothing else, just being able to record and document these musical thoughts is a real blessing.

Thanks for the thread, and for reading.

Cheers,
-js

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD