The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM
BanGuest23456

Default Securing a Hygrometer inside guitar case

Hi all. Have a question about placing a hygrometer inside my GS Mini case; the largest space is behind the neck but I am at a bit of a loss how to construct a mechanism to secure it.

I read somewhere that some people use some a velcro strap and I know that Home Depot sells these items, but wasn't sure how to best secure the device using one so that it does not move around in the case, hitting the guitar.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BanGuest23456; 10-25-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 PM

I let mine roam free. The case doesn't get banged around so where ever it sits, the hygrometer is at the lowest level of the headstock space. If traveling I remove it.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-26-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:19 AM

My hygrometers have all come with a clip they can be mounted on and then clipped to the lid of the interior compartment, where it sits parallel to the neck of the guitar.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:27 AM

The Caliber IV hygrometer I bought came with a magnet mount. Easy to stick one side of magnet mount to the case or where ever you want to mount it.. The other side sticks to the hygrometer ...Works great.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:34 AM

I put a strip of the hook side of self-adhesive Velcro on the bottom of the hygrometer. The Velcro clings to the plush lining of cases pretty well. Make sure you use the hook side. The loops won't work at all.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
Hi all. Have a question about placing a hygrometer inside my GS Mini case; the largest space is behind the neck but I am at a bit of a loss how to construct a mechanism to secure it.

I read somewhere that some people use some a velcro strap and I know that Home Depot sells these items, but wasn't sure how to best secure the device using one so that it does not move around in the case, hitting the guitar.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Hi CA

I use only external hygrometers in the environments my guitars are in (in case or not). If the guitar is in a case in a room, it's not going to be long before the internal humidity will match the room humidity (even my Calton cases don't seal watertight).

When we travel with guitars and will be gone more than a day or two, a hygrometer goes with us.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi CA

I use only external hygrometers in the environments my guitars are in (in case or not). If the guitar is in a case in a room, it's not going to be long before the internal humidity will match the room humidity (even my Calton cases don't seal watertight).

When we travel with guitars and will be gone more than a day or two, a hygrometer goes with us.

Maybe it depends on whether its high or low humidity. Been having great temps and high humidity so it's been getting 60+% RH inside house, but humidity in my Martin and Gibson cases has stayed under 55%RH (Gibson case doesn't latch as tight as Martin case).... In any event, I just started using Boveda two-way humidity control in cases out of caution and curiosity. And some Damprid products for certain rooms and running AC more than I otherwise would right now. Heat will be on soon enough so will consider large dehumidifier next year.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM

On a similar note, what's the best way to get the closest to accurate reading for the guitar inside the case with a standard small hygrometer like Oasis/Caliber IV? Most of the moisture inside the case is absorbed by the case itself so RH in the space behind the headstock for me is materially different than inside the guitar. Keeping it by the neck seems close enough to accuracy right now. Maybe a silly thing to consider, but if the hygrometer reading behind the neck is materially and variably different than in the sound hole, seems to defeat the purpose of using the hygrometer at all
Old 10-26-2016, 03:46 PM

My hygrometers all have fairly long leads between the sensor and display unit so I can get actual humidity readings from inside the guitar without having to open the case which will allow dry outside air to mix with humidified case air. For transportation I just put the display in the compartment or near the headstock wherever there's some space. The sensor always dangles inside the sound hole.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:52 PM

I no longer have a GS Mini, but the gig bag it comes with (while quite nice) is far from being airtight. I would use Velcro coins to attach the hygrometer to the internal padded neck support, or some place on the inside where the guitar won't touch it and knock it loose. Considerable amounts of moisture will be lost via the zipper, so be prepared to re-wet the sponges about twice as often as in a hard case.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
My hygrometers all have fairly long leads between the sensor and display unit so I can get actual humidity readings from inside the guitar without having to open the case which will allow dry outside air to mix with humidified case air. For transportation I just put the display in the compartment or near the headstock wherever there's some space. The sensor always dangles inside the sound hole.
Thanks, do you mind linking what you have (with a lead) or something similar?
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM
BanGuest23456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper ones, including on Taylor's web site and amazon, but not all have a reading tool on the outside with a long wire like the one I got that allows you to place the device in the case and reader in the sound hole.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
I have a bunch of these sitting in the living room and they are all within 1 to 2% of each other so precision is quite reasonable :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361155586212
Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper ones, including on Taylor's web site and amazon, but not all have a reading tool on the outside with a long wire like the one I got that allows you to place the device in the case and reader in the sound hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have a bunch of these sitting in the living room and they are all within 1 to 2% of each other so precision is quite reasonable :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361155586212
Thanks..........
Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 AM

No love for the Humiditrak? Unless it's grossly inaccurate I find it's really cool. Set mine up with my phone and I don't even have to open the case to take a reading.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion