The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Guest 928

Default Balor question

Can the Balor be played like a cello? Same position, with a bow??
Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 PM

It's got steel strings Evan
Old 08-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
It's got steel strings Evan
Think Jimmy Page, Jon! I wonder if John Paul Jones ever tried a bow on an electric bass.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Don't upright basses have steel strings? Or at least wound strings?
I've seen doghouse bass bowed many times. Should work, but never tried it.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Aren't the strings on a pronounced arch, so that a bow doesn't press on all the strings at once. I think this is probably the biggest problem.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Guest 928

Humm, no clear answers here. We need a Balor person with a bow. Wonder if Sean has a bow?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Ok, I honestly had no idea what cello strings are made of ... so I just googled 'em, sure enough they ARE mostly metal these days.
Whadda I know ?

However, that doesn't alter the fact that you are just plain WEIRD Evan !
Get a cello if you want one, don't abuse the Balor !
Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Aren't the strings on a pronounced arch, so that a bow doesn't press on all the strings at once. I think this is probably the biggest problem.
Maybe you could add an arched nut, like the slide players do.
https://www.elderly.com/guitar-extension-nut.htm
Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

I ask the question because a very good village bass player is lusting after a Balor. He was brought to his knees by the Balor headstock in the August series. And he loves the way it fits into the human body. And the woodies have him on the tips of his toes. And so, he wonders about all the possible ways of utilizing the Balor.

I do not know jack about cellos (other than that I love the sound). I do know I made a one-string steel string violin that I play with a handmade horsehair bow. And it works. So I think his question is worthy.

I wonder if Sean has a bow?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Dear Evan,

Unfortunately I don't have a bow and while I have seen videos of musicians using/experimenting with a bow on their basses, both acoustic and electric, I don't believe it's very common.

What I can say is that several professional bass players have told me the Balor Bass could act as a great replacement for a double bass for anyone touring.

Coincidentally, one of those players, James Blennerhassett, who is a highly-regarded session musician with over three decades experience, sent us a video review of the Balor he has now been playing for a year. Here is the link to the video we posted on Facebook this morning. https://business.facebook.com/Emeral...4957015936647/

We hope this information assists you further.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Guest 928

Thank you Sean. I'll refer my friend to the demonstration.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

So, reported back to my bass friend. He doesn't much care whether a bunch of people have tried a bow. Today he suggested that the sound hole position would be perfect for cello-like play--the player would get first dibs. He also really liked the idea of being able to both bow and pluck.

I think he'd need a spike to hold the instrument a bit higher, but we haven't talked about that.

The truth is, my friend is besotted with lust for a balor, woody, 5 string, slot-headed guitar.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:43 PM

The fretboard radius on a cello is much smaller. The bridge is also much more curved, to match the fretboard. It would be quite challenging to bow on that without hitting other strings. Also, the strings are much closer to the body and the waist is wider. This would also make bowing harder.

There's a very easy test. He could grab any 5 string bass and see if he can bow on it.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Guest 928

Carbonius;

Good thinking. He's got about 6 or 7 bass guitars and I have a bow--between us we'll get it figured out.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Guest 928

Carbonius;

So, I presented my friend with the difficulty of a bow with a guitar radius. I will be giving him a bow, but his new question is: Could you do a cello nut and saddle on a bass guitar? Darned if I know. But it would be cool if you could make such a multi-tool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber