The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Recording King Bridge Re-glue

Although I have built one guitar, it ended up in the wood stove, so I'm far from an expert. But, my RK, which is a nice sounding guitar, had a bridge which was pulling up from the back. Doing some reading, I found this is not unusual for them. Also watched repair videos, and read blogs. Figured, hey, if I can build a table or jewelry box, I can do this.

I used a heat gun to heat up the glue under the bridge, didn't take long, nor did it damage anything - finish, etc. There was a lot of "varnish" where there should have been bare wood, and the glue was not spread evenly in the old joint. I used the bridge to mark it's location before I removed it, and used those marks to remove the excess finish from under the bridge. Sanded the bottom of the bridge using 100 grit paper, and cleaned up the guitar top where the bridge is glued. Titebond as glue.

Dry fit, cleaned up some areas I didn't think were good enough yet, then dry fit again. Used a "Fox" clamp to glue the bridge down, with wood/cork cawls.

We'll see how I did tomorrow...

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Sounds to me like you did everything right. Best of luck with the repair!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:53 AM

How did it turn out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair