The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 PM

For more context, compare cannabis to alcohol. Alcohol use is socially acceptable (as it should be IMO), but Americans are drinking more than they used to, and this has potentially dire implications for the country’s future health-care costs. Drinking causes more than 88,000 deaths in the U.S. each year, more than twice the number of deaths from prescription opioids and heroin. The total includes drunk-driving deaths and alcohol-linked violence, as well as liver disease, strokes and other medical conditions. The CDC says drinking too much is responsible for one in 10 deaths among working-age Americans.

For more -- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-this-century
Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Very easy if you don't mind having motion sickness and dizziness every day of your life when you use b.p. meds.

...I,ve been taking bp meds for 10 years with no dizziness or motion sickness...there are a lot of options when it comes to lowering blood pressure
Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
"For the record"....your statement is incomplete, it is an opinion. There are forms of hypertension that are beyond the reach of modern pharma....that is a FACT
...oh geez I'm sorry...I should have said that "in most cases"...hypertension is easily treated...is it a fact now?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:00 AM

OK, so I have read the study. It looks pretty good. Marijuana use probably produces some negative effects on the human circulatory system.

The investigators have not convinced me that they successfully corrected for prior diagnosis, though. Hypertension frequently goes undiagnosed. The subjects self reported prior diagnosis. Self reporting has been shown to be unreliable. I suspect this study included many subjects with prior undiagnosed hypertension.

So I think that I can propose this conclusion:

People with some predisposition for hypertension are more likely to become chronic users of marijuana.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

For more context, consider the info in this article...
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl..._hsmi=55248746

Clearly more research is needed.
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
For more context, consider the info in this article...
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl..._hsmi=55248746

Clearly more research is needed.
I agree, but it has to be taken off of Schedule 1 to free up the research. Will likely take the proverbial "Act of Congress." Good luck with that!

If music be the food of love, play on!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
For more context, compare cannabis to alcohol. Alcohol use is socially acceptable (as it should be IMO),
What most baby-boomers and now Millennial's don't realize is that Marijuana/Cannabis was legal until 1937. Until 1933 there was no demonization of Cannabis because alcohol was illegal (prohibition). Once the alcohol lobby began to grow, distillers wanted marijuana illegal as it was easily grown and cheap. Marijuana was cutting into alcohol sales. So with thousands of years of documented use for recreational and medicinal use, I think people should "study" something else. Just leave people alone. There are, of course, many many articles on this but here's one that discusses it very minimally.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-d...al-first-place

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Livin' in 4/4 time

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...oh geez I'm sorry...I should have said that "in most cases"...hypertension is easily treated...is it a fact now?
there ya go
Old 08-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
But if the most direct treatment is "stop smoking pot", are you suggesting that a med with three pages of warnings and side effects is the answer?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
But if the most direct treatment is "stop smoking pot", are you suggesting that a med with three pages of warnings and side effects is the answer?
...for someone who is unwilling to stop using cannabis...(and there may be many reasons for that)....blood pressure meds could be the answer....for someone like me who has hereditary high blood pressure it doesn't matter if i use cannabis or not...i still need to control my blood pressure...i get more than halfway there with diet and exercise...and could get even closer if i gave up some more of my "bad" habits like coffee and barbecue ....still meds are needed for many....my grandparents died in their fifties from heart problems....with todays meds they may have lived decades longer....my father made it to 86 after taking bp meds for 30 years....like everything in life you make your own choices...
Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
...for someone who is unwilling to stop using cannabis...(and there may be many reasons for that)....blood pressure meds could be the answer....for someone like me who has hereditary high blood pressure it doesn't matter if i use cannabis or not...i still need to control my blood pressure...i get more than halfway there with diet and exercise...and could get even closer if i gave up some more of my "bad" habits like coffee and barbecue ....still meds are needed for many....my grandparents died in their fifties from heart problems....with todays meds they may have lived decades longer....my father made it to 86 after taking bp meds for 30 years....like everything in life you make your own choices...
indeed. Meds are a last resort. I hate to think how much of a minority you are, addressing as much as you do wiht diet.

I know I don't want to give up coffee. I did give up meat though. That tells you something of how much a drug caffeine is
Old 08-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Exclamation Positive Thinking !

The overwhelming positive expression thussly posted warm this man's heart to see such a majority
consensus towards this the most maligned herb .

Common sense is truly abounding this time around these days towards the normalization of it's use in society .

It's taken time to get here to this point in societal norms , but never the less it has arrived to stay to be sure .

The next hurdle to over come is the manner in which this issue is fairly tended to .

Peace Bro's & Sis's , we are all doing well despite the confusion on the other side .

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM

I found some of the humorous comments to be very cute, not that I understood any of them of course.
On a serious note, my daughter is the HR director for a her company that has a branch in Oregon. You could ask her how the pot-smoking employees have affected productivity in the workplace.
Company policy says no pot. It's diametrically opposed to the prevailing culture and it's a very sad state of affairs. (Pun intended)

Martin OMC-15 ME
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
Eastman E 6 OM Limited Edition
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Was there a control group that wasn't eating Doritos by the bag at 2 a.m.? I think there's a munchie confounding variable here but I'm sure you can still find many volunteers for further research.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 PM

For good reason it is being marketed for it's medicinal benefits. In the long run it may lower health insurance expenses and lower peoples pill count.

Santa Cruz 1929 00
Santa Cruz Custom HHG Sitka/Hog 12 Fret 00
Martin D-18VSCS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic