The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Default NUD 1925 Martin 2K

Just got this - all original in excellent condition (no cracks, repairs, and very little wear - this one must have been babied) with original hardshell case.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Very, very cool. Congratulations on a great find!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Chris. I really have not seen any other vintage ukuleles, but from what I have read, finding one in this condition is not an everyday occurrence. I am definitely fired about this one. I have read again and again about "the sound" of these old Martins, especially from the 1920s. It seemed to me that this could be at least a bit of hype, but I can now say it isn't.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Wow very nice!
Gotta love new instrument days.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Guest 1928

Very nice! Would love to see a photo of the original case too.

Getting the correct period case is probably more rare than finding a high condition prewar Martin ukulele. Many more have survived in good condition, compared to guitars of the same age. The fact that their popularity died down a bit probably contributed to that. In the postwar years, many ukes just sat around, where most of the guitars have been played almost continually.

Dating Martin ukuleles has been difficult due to the absence of serial numbers. If haven't already, you ought to grab yourself a copy of The Martin Ukulele by Tom Walsh and John King. It tells the story of Martin ukuleles and has the most detailed explanation of features and dates yet published.

Here's a quick cell phone shot of my Style 1. It's from '35/'36 based on the features.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Todd Yates;4500892]Very nice! Would love to see a photo of the original case too.

Getting the correct period case is probably more rare than finding a high condition prewar Martin ukulele. Many more have survived in good condition, compared to guitars of the same age. The fact that their popularity died down a bit probably contributed to that. In the postwar years, many ukes just sat around, where most of the guitars have been played almost continually.

Dating Martin ukuleles has been difficult due to the absence of serial numbers. If haven't already, you ought to grab yourself a copy of The Martin Ukulele by Tom Walsh and John King. It tells the story of Martin ukuleles and has the most detailed explanation of features and dates yet published.

Yours is a very nice vintage uke too.

I bought mine at Willie's American Guitars in St. Paul. Here is the picture of my ukulele in its case:

Here is what they had to say about it on their site:

An early example with the most desirable features! These mid 20’s Martins are known for having the choicest koa with crazy crazy figure and flame that unfolds more every time you see it. Has the early logo on the back of the headstock, bar frets and Ivoroid button Grover no. 76 tuning pegs. Also has White/Black/White ivoroid top binding and lovely single layer ivoroid binding on back. We suggest getting the "Martin Ukulele" book by Tom Walsh and John King. They refer to letters of desperation from Martin to the wood suppliers in Hawaii saying: We urgently need more figured Koa. The supplier replying: plain koa no problem but figured koa is extremely scarce. Only one in 100 logs is curly. By the 1930’s figured koa was so rare that only some style 3 or 5 ukes had it. This uke is of the golden uke era from 1923 to 1927, none better.

Nate, the owner, is an excellent ukulele player, playing all manner of instrumental solos by ear - standards, pop tunes, etc. He has quite a collection from what I understand, and is quite knowledgeable about vintage instruments (guitars and ukuleles) and guitar amplifiers. They specialize in vintage guitars and amplifiers and have a really decent selection of high and lower end ukuleles, and a number of vintage ukuleles when they can get them. I doubt that I will see something like this any time soon.

From what I understand, using the Martin ukulele book you mentioned, a person can get reasonably accurate as to when the ukulele was made. I know Nate and he does know this market really well. I just wish he gave lessons, but he is more interested in playing music than teaching it (which is quite understandable).

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
Wow very nice!
Gotta love new instrument days.
Yes, they don't happen around my place very often. But, then, I would rather buy one expensive instrument than 10 lower cost (though probably still quite good) instruments on the way to the high end one. It is cheaper in the long run.

So I have one tenor, one concert, and one soprano ukulele. All are "high end" and I don't foresee getting more. As for the soprano, this one had a sound that I really like. It took longer to find a soprano I liked than it did the others. I did not care as much for the sound of any of the newer, even high end, soprano ukuleles compared to this one.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Congratulations!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:34 AM
Guest 1928

Thanks for the photo in the case. That is just beautiful!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Thanks for the photo in the case. That is just beautiful!
Thanks Todd. Though I have not encountered many "vintage" ukuleles, based on what I have seen and read on the net, a ukulele this old in this condition and with "the sound" that is all original with case is not an everyday occurrence. So I will be hanging on to this one.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments