The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 AM

The elementary school music teacher called my parents to school and told them that my younger brother had perfect pitch. My parents thought it was nice, but weren't compelled to get him any further musical training, and he didn't get any further evaluation. At age 12 or 13 he started playing guitar and was one of those guys who could hear a song once on the radio and then play it. I have no idea if he really had perfect pitch, or just a good ear, which several of my paternal family members seem to have. I don't remember him ever complaining about anyone's instrument being out of tune. My brother died unexpectedly at age 29, over 30 years ago, so I'll never know.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Where do I find one of these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I know two. One I have played with a number of times. The other is the wife of a banjo-playing friend. She play violin and not guitar. We have tried her out. I would play say an A and bend it a little and she'd answer without hesitation, "A, but it's a little sharp." Uncanny.

Years ago at a music camp, I was at a class for terrible singers.There was this sweet young thing, a music major (violin), in there as well. The instructor would be playing guitar, and I'd tell her what key he was in. It's easy if you aren't blind. She thought I had perfect pitch and couldn't figure out what I was doing in the class.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:44 PM

I have what you call perfect pitch. I can tell you if any instruments are out of tune. Can tune any instrument by ear. I can play you any instrument you hand me by ear. Can you if someone is singing out of tune.

Here's the thing...... I'm blind.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Backcountry;5280629]Then there's Dylan Beato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkx64H0F9Rk

Dylan says (in another video) music/instruments out of tune doesn't bother him at all.[/QUOTE

This kid is amazing!!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM

For a while I worked at a used record store (remember those?) in the Westport district of Kansas City. Naturally, there was always music playing, and one day a song came on that I hadn't heard before but liked enough to want to learn it.

"I'm going to have to track down the chords on this song," I told one of my co-workers. "I like it." He said: "Oh, that's easy," and then he proceeded to name all the chords as they played. I grabbed a piece of paper and started writing them down. "So you already play this song yourself?" I asked him. "No, I've never heard it before. But I can hear the changes."

And he could. For him hearing a piece of music and knowing exactly what chords were being played was as easy as reading a newspaper is for you and me.

He had perfect pitch, and unlike all of the other people with perfect pitch that I've known, for him it wasn't a curse or a burden.

So after that when we were both on the schedule I'd often put on some music that I wanted to learn and he'd call out the chords, and not just "G," "C" and "D," but right down to 6th chords and sus chords and all, because he always heard EVERYTHING. He wasn't tormented about it, either, but just very matter of fact about the whole thing.

As opposed to some of the other perfect pitch victims I've known, who sometimes really did act as though they were carrying the world on their narrow little shoulders. Like many of the examples cited in this thread so far, they didn't enjoy having perfect pitch - they suffered, and they wanted the rest of us to suffer with them!

There was a bluegrass band up in in Alaska that shall remain nameless, but the lead guitarist married a female fiddle player who was like that. She was such a bother that she almost destroyed the band, because none of the rest of the guys could stand her.

Once I played some sort of corporate event where I was the opening act for them, and all of us rode together in an elevator to the floor where the banquet hall was. "This elevator's in Bb, and it's 20 cents flat!" she scowled. "Omigosh, we'd better alert building maintenance and have them get a tuning fork and come out here!" I said. "Do you think they might have a capo that'll fit it, too?"

She glared at me, which wasn't surprising, but all the guys in the band, including her husband, laughed. They had to put up with her crap all the time.

It was her utter humorlessness about it that made her such a drag to be around. If something wasn't at concert pitch she had to point it out, whether it was musically relevant (like an instrument) or not (like the elevator.)

So those are the two types of perfect pitch people that I've been around. Unfortunately, the amiable guy at the record store is the more uncommon of the two.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I think what Wade is describing about the wife of the band member is really a negative sort of bragging - look at me and what I have to put up with...that you musicians don't.

Anyway, I am surprised that nobody in a thread like this has not doe it, and the thread is certainly not complete with out it...

What is the definition of perfect pitch?

...when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and just miss the accordion.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Well, somebody had to do it!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I think what Wade is describing about the wife of the band member is really a negative sort of bragging - look at me and what I have to put up with...that you musicians don't.

Anyway, I am surprised that nobody in a thread like this has not doe it, and the thread is certainly not complete with out it...

What is the definition of perfect pitch?

...when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and just miss the accordion.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Well, somebody had to do it!

Tony

Look again... somebody beat you to it a few posts back.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Supposedly Art Garfunkel has/had perfect pitch...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Of all the people I've ever played with, I only heard of two said to have perfect pitch. One I wasn't sure about, but the other was a superb symphonic band/orchestra director and I believed it about him.

I've always heard that Ella Fitzgerald had perfect pitch. There are stories that her band used to tune to her voice. Just from listening for years, I believe it.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
Look again... somebody beat you to it a few posts back.
OK, I see it now. Post #11. I skimmed through all the messages in this thread before posting, and must have missed it. It was a one liner at the end of the post.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM

We just had a bit of a similar discussion over at Guitars Canada. If you do some searches on Google, there has been quite a bit of research on how we all hear sound differently. So, what sounds perfect to me, may sound a bit differently to someone else. Even bone density and skull size makes a difference in the sound getting to the ears.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:58 AM

When I was a kid the Museum of Science in Boston had a display where you wore headphones and turned a dial to match one tone to another and got a ranking. I was please to get "concert master" but I have far from perfect pitch. I couldn't have named the notes I was matching for the life of me.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Oh, sure, no question. She was just an all-around pain in the butt, not solely about that particular issue. The marriage between her and the guitarist was stormy and short-lived, as was her tenure in the band. Maybe two years tops for the marriage, and and year and a half as a band member.

They weren't sorry to see her go....

whm
Old 03-26-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Then there's Dylan Beato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkx64H0F9Rk

Dylan says (in another video) music/instruments out of tune doesn't bother him at all.
Holy Cow!

I have good relative pitch and it drives me nuts sometime to hear something being played or sung slightly out of tune. (Like the bass who sits beside me in church choir. )
Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
A lot of people say that, but to me that is like a color blind person saying they would find seeing all those individual colors a curse.

I don't think it's the same at all. A color blind person is missing information. Someone with good relative pitch but lacking perfect pitch isn't missing a thing, except the experience of hearing a great deal of otherwise beautiful music being out of tune. Red and green aren't the same and experiencing them as such is definitely a loss (albeit not the worst thing in the world). But hearing all the intervals and harmonies correctly and enjoying them just as much whether the reference frequency is A=440 or A=442 seems like more of a gain than a loss to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion