The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Clapton Disappointment

Was supposed to go see Eric Clapton tonight at the Forum in Los Angeles. My wife had surprised me with 8th row, center stage tickets for Christmas this year. I've been getting geared up for this concert for weeks...

Received an email from Ticketmaster last night- Clapton is down with bronchitis and his doctor advised to punt the show.

New rescheduled date: September 13th. A WEDNESDAY night, 6 months from now. I understand (and somewhat appreciate) him not putting on a show where he doesn't sound his best- especially since the money's already in hand- but replacing a Saturday night concert with a mid-week event seems a litttle underwhelming.

Seriously disappointed. Will most likely ask for a refund on the tickets (and maybe use the money to pick up a 000-28EC)!

Last edited by sandspike15; 03-25-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo on model number
Old 03-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Are you aware that EC has been suffering from some serious neurological problems, and that there is serious talk of him not touring in the future?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Are you aware that EC has been suffering from some serious neurological problems, and that there is serious talk of him not touring in the future?

I read about that...he said it was peripheral neuropathy...not sure if I spelled that right..

He described it as his nerves sending electric shocks thru his body...very painful, debilitating as it progresses, and takes longer and longer to recover from a bad episode...

Shame...
Old 03-25-2017, 11:36 AM

I feel your pain! In 2014 my husband and I went to Prague, Czech Republic, to see Lenny Kravitz. We were so excited to attend a rock concert in another country, the hotel arranged limo service for us and all. And then he called in sick the morning of the show. So disappointing! It was eventually rescheduled, for a month later. The hotel offered to discount our room if we wanted to stay for the month, but no, we couldn't do that. Two days later Lenny was tearing up the stage in Stuttgart, Germany. Annoying! It was still a lovely vacation and we enjoyed it. But still...

I am sorry that happened to you, and hope EC can overcome his neurological issues.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Yes- That was actually the reason I told my wife about the concert. We haven't been big "concert goers" over the years (and I certainly have never paid over a grand per ticket to see anyone!), but I felt like this may have been one of the last tours he put himself through.

Hope he pulls through and finds some remedy for the neuropathy. It's hard to watch a legend struggle to keep physical pace with his genius as youth/health disappears.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 AM

I had tickets to see the Eagles in 2015. Due to an unforeseen surgery I had to sell the tickets and miss the show. Then Glenn Frey passed away.

Your show getting postponed is disappointing for sure but I'd see Clapton while I could. I saw him with Steve Winwood 7 or 8 years ago and he put on a heck of a show. May never had another chance.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50

Last edited by Deadduck; 03-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Imagine jus thow much you will enjoy with all that extra anticipation.

Im sure you will get an extra encore as reward.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

A lot goes in to scheduling- the artist, the venue, all kinds of stuff.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:17 PM

His days are certainly numbered. He just sold a bunch of his guitars through Gruhn last year. I almost bought his National Steel but had better thoughts and decided against it. It was only 25K!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspike15 View Post
Was supposed to go see Eric Clapton tonight at the Forum in Los Angeles. My wife had surprised me with 8th row, center stage tickets for Christmas this year. I've been getting geared up for this concert for weeks...

Received an email from Ticketmaster last night- Clapton is down with bronchitis and his doctor advised to punt the show.

New rescheduled date: September 13th. A WEDNESDAY night, 6 months from now. I understand (and somewhat appreciate) him not putting on a show where he doesn't sound his best- especially since the money's already in hand- but replacing a Saturday night concert with a mid-week event seems a litttle underwhelming.

Seriously disappointed. Will most likely ask for a refund on the tickets (and maybe use the money to pick up a 000-28EC)!
Are the tickets really THAT expensive? I read somewhere that baby boomers are routinely paying $400 - $600 for tickets to see their favorite rock stars in concert. I didn't believe it, but maybe it is true and some are fortunate enough to have that kind of easily disposable money. I am please for those who can.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM

I talked my wife into seeing Gov't Mule with Warren Haynes. We paid for decent seats on the main floor of a vintage theater in Ann Arbor, MI.

5 minutes before the show started a group of drunks took their seats about 5 rows ahead of us; but instead of sitting down, they remained standing throughout the show. That, of course caused everyone behind them to stand to see the show, which left my wife and I staring at the backs of the rather large folks in the seats in front of us.

It was a total waste of our time and money. We'd have been better off staying home and watching clips of the band on Youtube.

I empathize with the OP, but it could have been worse.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

If it were me, I'd be disappointed too initially, but then would get over it, suck it up, and go. Mid-week concerts are rough if you have a day job; but, one day of being exhausted at work is a small price to pay to see a legend you may never get a chance to see again. Just my 2-cents...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM

These tix were $1250/seat, and weren't the most pricey available. I saw some when we bought them that were pushing $2500/ticket. From what I've heard, the shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC were even spendier!

Like I said before, I really never would have thought I'd pay even close to what we did for the tickets. It really came down to answering the question "do I want to see the guy that got me interested in playing guitar in the first place before it's no longer possible?"
Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
These tix were $1250/seat, and weren't the most pricey available. I saw some when we bought them that were pushing $2500/ticket. From what I've heard, the shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC were even spendier!

Like I said before, I really never would have thought I'd pay even close to what we did for the tickets. It really came down to answering the question "do I want to see the guy that got me interested in playing guitar in the first place before it's no longer possible?"
That's a lot of money for a couple of hours entertainment, vs getting a guitar. I'd go with the guitar.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I was VERY fortunate to see the guy who got me really interested in guitar - Leo Kottke, for only a couple pf bucks way back when.

I can certainly understand wanting to see your biggest influences, or (for other folks in my age bracket) wanting to relive the "good times". I just get easily stunned at what things cost these days. I am not trying to criticize, I am just easily stunned.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion