The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-24-2017, 04:55 PM

In Texas, I would have issued a citation for "Fail To Control Speed". If you decide to take it to court, hire an Attorney .
Old 03-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
In Texas, I would have issued a citation for "Fail To Control Speed". If you decide to take it to court, hire an Attorney .
In New South Wales, Australia, I'd of issued a Traffic Infringement notice for 'Negligent Driving'.

Last edited by Alex6strings; 03-24-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:14 PM

That statute refers to driving a motor vehicle. Which is exactly what you're doing when stopped at a set of lights. Driving a vehicle includes everything not just moving. If you were 'intoxicated' but stopped, stationary at a set of traffic lights, are you infact still DUI , or DWI ? of course. Leaving a safe distance in front of you to the car ahead means at all times. Basically it means you should be prepared and at a safe distance should something happen as it did in your case. If you were back another few meters, chances are the collision never happens.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
§ 46.2-816. Following too closely.
The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard to the speed of both vehicles and the traffic on, and conditions of, the highway at the time.
Judge: Do you think a reasonable distance to stay behind a vehicle at a light is a distance that means you can give yourself time to keep from hitting them if you mistake the gas for the brake?
Driver: Well, yeah...
Judge: Did you hit the vehicle?
Driver: Well, yeah....
Judge: Guilty

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-25-2017, 03:33 AM

Whilst we can spend the next millennia discussing the merits, or otherwise, of the fine. The fact is, you did not maintain adequate control of your vehicle. I've seen too many cases of "my foot slipped" reported on our local media to think that it is a minor issue. The number of fatalities and injuries is enough to make me cry "I bet the driver was a pensioner" So far I've not been wrong except for one or two members of a particular sex and ethnic group which also does not surprise me either. I have no Idea how old you are, but I could guess that you are not young! The argument should be made for more stringent testing of aged drivers, and pulling their license to drive if they become a hazard to other road users. I would go so far as to say that all drivers should be forced to re-sit their license on a regular basis. FYI I am almost 60, so I will soon be in the category to which I refer.

Sorry if sound severe, I was written off by a bloke who thought he was "safe", too, despite being so far over the B.A.C. that he was almost coming down the other side!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
You could have been charged with "Failure to maintain control" or "reckless driving". Higher fines.

Pay it and forget it. Be happy no one was injured.
Careless would be more like it. Reckless would indicate " complete disregard of life and property". Heavy fine and lots of point for that one.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

The cop probably should have given you a ticket for failure to have control. Maybe that would have been better for you. Maybe not.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Will you get points on your license?

If not, pay it and move on.

On your way home from paying the ticket, stop by the store and get some shoes with better grip.

All in all, glad everyone's ok.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic