The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Seagull Original S6 scale length

When did Seagull stop making the Original S6 in the 24.84" scale length? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM

I'm by no means a Godin/Seagull expert but I think I recall seeing a number of threads starting maybe a couple of years ago that mentioned the change. That's just based on my recollection; you may be able to find more info searching old threads here.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 AM

it was back in 2012
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=251056
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

This change to long scale still bothers me, years later...oh boy I get to share my Seagull scale length story again.

A few years ago I was caught in the middle of the change from short to long scale, literally. I had an S6 with the 24.84 scale, which I loved, because it was so much more comfortable to play. Once day I noticed that the bridge on the S6 was not evenly, e.g., it was closer to one edge of the lower bout than the other by few centimeters. So I took it to a local shop that was an authorized dealer and service center for Godin. Because the guitar was relatively new, they decided it warranted shipping back to Canada and have the Godin shop make the repair. So, off my S6 went.

When I got it back, the bridge had been fixed but there was a 1/2" across, 1/4" deep gouge on the side of the upper bout. Looked like somebody's hand had a tool in it and it slipped while working on it. Not sure how Godin missed that, but I complained and off the S6 went again back to Godin, it's second round trip from Los Angeles to Canada. (These multiple trips probably cost as much as I paid for the guitar).

After many weeks, I was told by Godin that they wanted to just replace it with a brand new S6. Unfortunately, the short scale versions were no longer available at the factory so I could only get one with a long scale. This was a deal breaker. My choice was to either locate a short scale S6 in the wild (which I tried unsuccessfully because most shops had no idea that there was a change and had no idea which ones they had in inventory) or opt to accept a Coastline cedar folk, which I did. Godin sent me the folk with a gig bag.

I've never read a good reason yet why Godin decided to make the change. Perhaps someone here might email Michel Belanger and ask that? Now I see that they are kind of phasing out some of the folk models in favor of a concert hall version that mostly has a long scale. If you look closely at the specs on the Godin and Seagull and Simon & Patrick websites, you will notice that there is at least one model or more that still has a short scale. I say, if you much prefer short scale like for comfort reasons, get 'em before they're gone for good.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I loved my short scale S6 slim spruce. Never should have sold it.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Yes, that short scale and roomy fretboard width is a big part of why I like my older Seagulls.

Maybe after a few years they'll produce a 1999 Authentic line or something built with the old specs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I have 2009 S6 Original coming soon, and am glad it is a short scale. I think the powers at Seagull thought a longer scale guitar would sell better. I would like to see sales records to see if that was the case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion