The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Found it update see new post: one pedal to use with acoustic amp for electric guitar

I play acoustic and sometimes bass, but bought a used electric for the challenge and maybe to play some at church. I love acoustic guitar, but there is a dearth of electric players and I feel like I could add something if I learn it.

So I don't really want to buy another amp. I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini and also an Ashdown Tourbus 15 for bass. I am thinking I would like a pedal to play into one of these that I can then take to church and use directly into the PA system. There is an amp there, but it is large and confusing to me. We use in ear monitors so don't need it for the monitor.

Having an XLR output on the pedal would allow it to go directly to the PA (which is high quality by the way) but I could use a DI box too if it didn't have the XLR.

Some choices I see are Line 6 Firehawk, several from Zoom, and appreciate input on these or any others you like. I want to keep it simple so I can carry it easily. I may be a purist on the acoustic setup but not interested in going crazy on electric, just functional. I suppose that could change if I get really interested!

Thanks ahead for any advice.

Last edited by Psfam; 03-25-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:20 PM

You might have good luck with any of the amp modeler boxes out there. Preferences and prices will vary as to which one, but your acoustic amp should be similar to a full-range PA type response, and to sound like electric guitar with an electric guitar amp you need to re-jigger the full range amp's EQ and response to sound like a guitar amp.

Most of them will also have a range of effects too, so they can supply a variety of stomp box sounds. Beware that that all of them feature very effects laden, over-gainey patches. Be sure to trim those back.

Alas I have little experience with the current lines of these amp models in stand-alone boxes. I'm sure other can chime in there.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-25-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
...I want to keep it simple so I can carry it easily...not interested in going crazy on electric, just functional. I suppose that could change if I get really interested!
Tech 21 FlyRig (original version) for now - fits in a Fender-style oblong HSC, should give you what you need...

Plan on a decent - not necessarily expensive - straight-ahead analog electric-guitar amp (tube or solid-state) in the near future, something you wouldn't worry about leaving at church...
Old 02-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Default original version

is the tech 21 fly rig 5 what you call the original? Looks like two pieces are common to the different models and the third part (in the case of the 5) is called plexi. Or is there another that I haven't found?

Thanks. I had not seen that.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 PM

That's the one...
Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 PM

I run an electric guitar into a Palmer Pocket Amp MK2 into the the effects loop return of a Schertler Jam 150 along with a few other effects pedals.

The Palmer is small, fits on a pedal board, and has an XLR out and 1/4" out.

Bob
Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity what exactly is the "large amp" that is "already there" if it is in fact an electric guitar amp, no doubt with expertise on this forum someone (not me) may be able to give you a quick working rundown how to use it and you might be able to just plug into it .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
is the tech 21 fly rig 5 what you call the original? Looks like two pieces are common to the different models and the third part (in the case of the 5) is called plexi. Or is there another that I haven't found?

Thanks. I had not seen that.
OP, slightly different perspective. First, I suggest considering the other Flyrig models before settling in the original, I've read quite a few reviews that were pretty lukewarm on the distortion section. Second, plenty of people these days are skipping an amp altogether and going direct, so I would not agree that it's a foregone conclusion that you need an amp, especially playing in church.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Going direct live without something in the chain to emulate a guitar amp can be problematic timbre/response-wise.

I'd assumed when you asked about using a acoustic amp with electric guitar that you needed it for monitoring. But if your church's monitor mix and setup is good, I'd guess you could go without the amp. But you might need something still. Ideally, something that does some "amp" emulation, perhaps effects (if needed and you don't already have) and then converts at the end to XLR for feeding a longer cable run to the mixer.

It doesn't look like the Tech21 Fly Rig has XLR out, but a direct box in addition to it will make that connection. You house sound may 1/4 to XLR direct boxes available too.

While recording, I'll go direct often for bass; for electric guitar, almost never. You can do it, I've done it. You get an interesting sound sometimes, particular in some rhythm guitar situations. It's true that back in the Sixties, plugging electric guitar into the mixing board and then overdriving the analog pre-amp stages or compressor stages in the classic mixing boards of the day was part of the recorded sound of many classic records. Now-a-days when so much is digital we often emulate to make those "direct" sounds with extra boxes.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Thank you and answers

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

The "big box" at church is a Line 6. I didn't think to check the model but am guessing it might be something like the current spider 5 240 watt amp I can see online. It is a combo amp with enough settings to confuse almost anyone and they are constantly getting messed with. Sounds pretty terrible to me. It might be nice for use as a stand alone but overkill when heading into the PA system. There is a point at which "less is more" if you understand it and use it well.

To clarify, I am thinking of one multifunction pedal/modeler I can use into a little amp at home but carry with me to church to use there. So at home my amp replaces the PA system for practice purposes, but I can still work with the same settings and get comfortable. I would not be opposed to eventually buying a small amp and just leaving it at the church if that would improve the signal from the pedal I cart back and forth.

An XLR output would be nice but there are direct boxes available that I can use if there isn't one.

I am making my list based on the input you all have given and need to do some shopping. I really appreciate your help!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I work with the Line6 POD HD500X. More HERE in my review of the beastie.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Going direct live without something in the chain to emulate a guitar amp can be problematic timbre/response-wise.

I'd assumed when you asked about using a acoustic amp with electric guitar that you needed it for monitoring. But if your church's monitor mix and setup is good, I'd guess you could go without the amp. But you might need something still. Ideally, something that does some "amp" emulation, perhaps effects (if needed and you don't already have) and then converts at the end to XLR for feeding a longer cable run to the mixer.

It doesn't look like the Tech21 Fly Rig has XLR out, but a direct box in addition to it will make that connection. You house sound may 1/4 to XLR direct boxes available too.

While recording, I'll go direct often for bass; for electric guitar, almost never. You can do it, I've done it. You get an interesting sound sometimes, particular in some rhythm guitar situations. It's true that back in the Sixties, plugging electric guitar into the mixing board and then overdriving the analog pre-amp stages or compressor stages in the classic mixing boards of the day was part of the recorded sound of many classic records. Now-a-days when so much is digital we often emulate to make those "direct" sounds with extra boxes.
Guys, the Tech 21 stuff we're discussing is meant to go straight to the board. The sansamp section IS an amp emulator. There is no need for a DI box between it and the board.

Also, keep in mind that not having an XLR output is not at all related to this question. That's a matter of balanced vs unbalanced signal, not an issue of being able to go directly to the board or not. Personally, I've never had a problem with picking up noise from using an unbalanced instrument cable, but of course that is possible.

Here is a quote from the guys who owns Tech21 from a similar discussion on their Character pedals (which is equally applicable to the Flyrig discussion):

We are not quite sure why everyone feels they need an XLR connection for our Character Series pedals. There is no sonic difference in tone. The pedals are capable of producing line level so you should really be using a line input on your board not the XLR microphone input. The only time an XLR input may prove beneficial in a guitar application would be if you were using the pedal to the board while using your amp at the same time in which case a ground loop may occur. Any basic direct box can be used if this is the case. In a normal application where you are using the Character Pedal into your amp you would probably not run another output to the board since your pedal would be tweaked to sound good into an amp versus direct.

OP, I hope you are taking all our comments as a starting point, including mine; I think you'll find all these questions addressed on the Tech21 website.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Taking it all in.

I am taking it all in and learning. Most of all want to make good decision which requires wise counsel.

It looks like most modelerd don't have XLR outputs (like the flyrig.) not a problem, just a small convenience that's all. But any of the mentioned products eliminate many pedals so still are remarkably simple for setup compared to a pedal board. Then it is just learning to use them.

Thanks for the nice review on the Line 6 HD....wow!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM

XLR vs. unbalanced 1/4" --yes both can work, and particular with short runs in a studio or home studio, not a big deal. I suggested being prepared for connecting XLR as that's what I see on most stages, but that's my sample and it may not be as common as I think.

I actually have a Line 6 HD500x too. I got it used at a good price and thought I'd use it with a Varix guitar I have. But I've almost never used it as I haven't taken the time to learn it. Unlike the original POD kidney bean or something like the Fender Mustang modeling amp, it's not it's not a "plug in, turn a couple of knobs to taste and go" device in my experience. When I read the manual I can see it can do a lot, but not a lot, to my taste, easily. Still a lot power is there. Maybe someday.

I have not used the current Tech 21 stuff personally, but in concept they look more like a simple solution that may do what you need. Not as many effects, not as many options, not as much to learn. Also smaller and more portable.

As you practice (presumably solo, presumably lower volume) and then move the same device to your church/stage and are perhaps playing with other instruments be prepared to adjust your settings.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Update

Thank you for all the ideas. I took them into account, listened to what I could online, and talked with a couple of representatives at Sweetwater who have helped me in the past. I ended up buying the Sansamp Flyrig 5 Brit model, and it is truly just what I wanted.

It doesn't have all the digital samples that many of these have, but it is divided into three sections with four foot pedals to turn sections or boost on/off. Here is how I understand it: One section has delay and a way to do chorus. The second basically simulates a tube amp with reverb, high, mid, and low EQ knobs. The third provides effects of a British type amp to go from clean to dirty and anywhere in between. It is very light weight, well built in the US I think, and beautifully packaged in a metal box with the AC adaptor included.

I even plugged an acoustic in to see how the delay and amp sections would work with it. I had tried this before with a Firehawk and thought it sounded kind of dumb (like an acoustic pretending to be an electric?), but In this case, I think it might be useful.

I look forward to trying it out through the PA at church soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars