The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Sponsors for Songwriters?

Some recent threads about singer/songwriters spurred these questions.

Do you think singer/songwriters could work with sponsorships like classical musicians? Do you know of any singer/songwriters that have this type of sponsor?
Do you think that there are people who would be willing to sponsor singer/songwriters?
How would it affect the writer's creativity?
If you are a singer/songwriter, could you work under a sponsorship?
Is it possible to create an organization that would seek and solicit sponsors?

I learned about, on a recent post, some great songs written by some songwriters who should not be lost in obscurity. I don't see much hope for the dinosaur (recording industry) to present fresh, creative, material like so many of us have shared.
Do you think this might be an avenue to circulate some good music?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Those are some good questions about sponsorship which in my view is an important aspect of the survival of the arts. Used to be (and there might still be some) publishers who would act as de facto sponsors for songwriters. Providing a working wage for their writing and providing facilities to accommodate the process. In return the publisher would receive royalties for songs written by their songwriters that were placed with recording artists.

A songwriter friend of mine got his start with a major publishing company in Nashville many years ago. He's mentioned to me that being hired by this publishing company allowed him to finally quit his manual labor day job and start working on songwriting full time. Through this company he was introduced to other in-house songwriters as mentors and collaborators which he credits with helping him to develop his craft and thrive as a musician. As a result of that fairly brief nurturing start he's had a very successful songwriting/performing/recording career for more than 35 years.

I don't know how or even if the above scenario might work in today's music industry environment. I know that in the age of the internet and social media there are a variety of self-sponsoring methods being used for funding but I don't see any nurturing there which is unfortunate. I personally don't know of any individuals who are sponsoring songwriters although there are certainly enough wealthy patrons of the arts around. Maybe it's already happening and I'm just an old guy who's out of the loop.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 AM

'Sponsors' are only going to do it to make money, not for their love of music (or the particular songwriter's abilities) - so you end up with 'paid to write formula songs' songwriters .....

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele