The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 PM

I totally agree with everyone here it was from a fall or something similar. There's almost no way that damage can occur on its own. Look at the surface checks on the left side on the binding. It seems to indicate that wood underneath was flexed or pushed in somehow.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dave,
Geez, man! Sorry to see this! I hope it gets fixed correctly for you. I know nothing about Taylor guitars. But if they fix it I'm going to guess that they will want to replace a lot of (if not all of) the binding to repair that piece that is missing to make it look right. I doubt they would replace just a small section.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
A kid knocked it off the wall! Of course they are denying it! Get rid of the kids before you repair it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kids in the house.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 AM

Thanks for all the theories. I have more on my FB post.

I can tell you that the top crack wasn't there at 5pm and it was there at 8pm. Guitar still hanging on the wall. Nobody knocked it down and it didn't fall.

There is no evidence of an external hit such as a dent on the wood at the butt of the guitar. Certainly no damage around the end pin which one would expect to hit first.

To me it looks like the top cracked and that pushed out the binding and the bit of the side. That side is pushed OUT, not in, suggesting that the forces were from the inside of the guitar out. When I first saw it, half the top was forced up. I pushed it down and loosened the strings.

I heard from Taylor: "those repairs would run $300-400, with some noticeability- but it would look good. " I've asked him to clarify what work they would be doing. My local guy would fix it structurally for $150. I'm hoping Taylor would address the cosmetics somewhat as well, but I want to be sure. If they are, I'll send it to Taylor.

I love this particular guitar (I have, um, a few.....) so I'd like to get it as good as possible.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
There is no evidence of an external hit such as a dent on the wood at the butt of the guitar. Certainly no damage around the end pin which one would expect to hit first.

To me it looks like the top cracked and that pushed out the binding and the bit of the side. That side is pushed OUT, not in, suggesting that the forces were from the inside of the guitar out. When I first saw it, half the top was forced up. I pushed it down and loosened the strings.
Actually there is a great deal of evidence of an external blow, and given no other context, I would have bet good money that's exactly what happened. And until some builder or repairman can explain how this kind of damage could happen spontaneously and without impact of any kind, that's still where my money sits.

I'm not disputing your account of what you observed, but based on the photos, here's what I perceive. Impact occurred near the point of the red arrow. When the side is pushed inward at that point, it broke the binding and glue joint at the end block, allowing the wood to spring outward as if it were at the opposite end of a seesaw. Impact at that point also accounts for the curved breaks in the finish over the binding and top cracks. (Pretty sure there are two?)

Strange things sometimes happen and maybe it has here, but I can't imagine a non-impact scenario that would result in the damage shown.

Are there two top cracks? A long one and shorter one at the red lines?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Outside of this post I've had two Taylor dealers tell me stories of Taylor guitars hanging on their walls spontaneously breaking apart like this. A couple of people heard creaking noises and witnessed a Taylor explosion. Taylor replaced those guitars for the dealers. So despite whatever happened to my guitar, it has happened spontaneously to others without an external force applied. So yes, it does happen.

I would expect there to be a dent inward if an external force hit the guitar from the outside hard enough to cause this damage. PLUS, if it was hit so hard, I would have expected the damage to occur immediately. At the very least, the top cracked while the guitar was hanging on my wall.

Ultimately it doesn't matter to me how this happened to my guitar because it will cost me the same to fix it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:08 AM

find and show us that little piece of binding that is missing - - -
where you find it, chances are that is where this 'event' happened
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
find and show us that little piece of binding that is missing - - -
where you find it, chances are that is where this 'event' happened
It was in the hole. It's now in a baggie in the case compartment.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Outside of this post I've had two Taylor dealers tell me stories of Taylor guitars hanging on their walls spontaneously breaking apart like this. A couple of people heard creaking noises and witnessed a Taylor explosion. Taylor replaced those guitars for the dealers. So despite whatever happened to my guitar, it has happened spontaneously to others without an external force applied. So yes, it does happen.
I freely admit to not being a Taylor expert, so this information is completely new to me. Do you know if this is a recent thing? Maybe some production method or glue change that led to this?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I freely admit to not being a Taylor expert, so this information is completely new to me. Do you know if this is a recent thing? Maybe some production method or glue change that led to this?
That's a good question. My guitar is a 2002. I don't know what years those dealers experienced the issues. I'll ask.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM

I've heard of spontaneous combustion but never spontaneous destruction - especially on a Taylor guitar.
Their quality control is pretty much second to none on instruments - I have several friends that work there and know the guys in the CS department.
Never heard of anything like this ever - that thing took a hit.

I see that, what appears to be a second split in the pic above, seems to be in the same area as the apparent impact.
Slightly visible in the angled pic as well - - -
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Outside of this post I've had two Taylor dealers tell me stories of Taylor guitars hanging on their walls spontaneously breaking apart like this. A couple of people heard creaking
noises and witnessed a Taylor explosion. ....
You might just be at the center of the exploding guitar universe.

I've played hundreds of Taylors and been in more Taylor dealers than I could count. I've surrounded myself with things Taylor. I've been to multiple road shows. My consultant buddy revamped their repair department. I've repaired numerous Taylors. I'm surrounded by Taylor-ness.

I've never once ever heard of such a thing. Ever. It sounds physically plausible but incredibly low probability.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 02-24-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM

ahh man, you got the one from when they were experimenting with the exploding charges. Either that or as several learned posters have noted, your guitar has been struck with a hard object! You are fortunate to have an honest luthier who suggested you send it to Taylor. That sounds like a good idea. They can fix it better, faster and cheaper than anyone.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Guitar playing ghosts enjoying your instruments while you are away? Who knows? Good luck in getting it fixed to your satisfaction. You mentioned Heritage insurance and that is what insurance is for - to handle those unexpected situations that can arise. And whether it exploded or was mysteriously damaged by outside forces, this sure seems to fall in the unexpected category.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Sent you a PM...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion