The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
David, I don't own any Taylor guitars, but your repair guy is correct about the finish: poly UV finishes are not as easy to work with as the nitrocellulose finishes that Martin and Gibson use. If you want the guitar fixed and the repair as invisible as possible, sending it back to Taylor is really your only option. Even they might not be able to make it look like it did when it was brand new, but they'll get you the closest.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I spoke with Chris Bearden at Taylor and sent him some photos. Waiting for a call back. This guitar is far from new. It's a well played 2002 with the electronics updated to an Aura system. I just love this guitar. If I go with my local guy, the structural repairs are cheap. If I want it as good as possible visually, I'll probably file an insurance claim with Heritage.

Let's see what Taylor says.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I would absolutely send it in to Taylor, ESPECIALLY if you are the original owner... give them all the details (how you humidify it, treat it, etc.) and let them do the work... I have heard nothing but stellar things about the Taylor repair and service department...

As for how you may have cracked the guitar? Could be as easy as the case falling over or knocking against something sharply, particularly when the guitar might be colder than normal - you do live in Ohio and it is still winter - did the guitar get cold when you went to that open mic?

Some woods are more susceptible to cracking than others; rosewood varieties, in particular, don't seem to be as "hardy" as mahogany or maple, in my experience...

If you decide to send it in to Taylor, I'm sure they will advise you as to how to pack it and ship it, so I wouldn't be too concerned that the damage will get worse in shipping. People ship guitars all the time without issues, certainly the high percentage of shipped guitars make it to the intended destination unscathed or folks would not ship any sort of expensive guitar at all...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I would absolutely send it in to Taylor, ESPECIALLY if you are the original owner... give them all the details (how you humidify it, treat it, etc.) and let them do the work... I have heard nothing but stellar things about the Taylor repair and service department...

As for how you may have cracked the guitar? Could be as easy as the case falling over or knocking against something sharply, particularly when the guitar might be colder than normal - you do live in Ohio and it is still winter - did the guitar get cold when you went to that open mic?

Some woods are more susceptible to cracking than others; rosewood varieties, in particular, don't seem to be as "hardy" as mahogany or maple, in my experience...

If you decide to send it in to Taylor, I'm sure they will advise you as to how to pack it and ship it, so I wouldn't be too concerned that the damage will get worse in shipping. People ship guitars all the time without issues, certainly the high percentage of shipped guitars make it to the intended destination unscathed or folks would not ship any sort of expensive guitar at all...
It's been in the 60s here in Columbus, Ohio. So cold was never an issue. I am not the original owner, though I believe I bought it from him. But I won't go that route. I'll pay what I have to pay.

They are at 8 weeks turnaround, but I have plenty of other guitars to play so not an issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM

You don't live alone, do you? Or if you do, someone comes in to clean?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM

My guess is that the crack was there (and not noticeable) from your last gig, and then when you hung it on the wall the temperature changes caused the wood to expand again and the crack opened up with it. Sorry for the loss, but should be fixable.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

My forensic guess is that is from an impact. It looks "clearly" like it was impacted on the bottom edge. It looks like it fell straight down and landed on the bottom near the edge.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

That's worse than I was imagining when I wrote my first post in this thread. I hope Taylor comes through with an estimate that works for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM

In my opinion, this is not a slight bump that got worse after a week. This is impact damage from a drop or hit from something else. Like Howard suggested, someone else's oops who had access to your guitars? That is mechanical damage, climate is not the culprit.

.......Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 02-23-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 PM

There was a thread a month or so ago with a Taylor with much worse damage than the OP's, when he got it back, it literally looked like it never happened. I would definitely send it to them.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

See the way the wood is exposed along the crack? And how it can't go back? That wood is from underneath the crack - meaning it broke out and the wood (on the other half of the crack) was forced past it - now it doesn't align.

Look in the red circle. The green area should be above the purple marked area. Also the blue area is a blown out piece.

That's a major impact break on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8190_zpsyawshhke.jpg (32.0 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by fazool; 02-23-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post

In my opinion, this is not a slight bump that got worse after a week. This is impact damage from a drop or hit from something else. Like Howard suggested, someone else's oops who had access to your guitars? That is mechanical damage, climate is not the culprit.

.......Mike
Nope. The guitar was hanging. Nobody touched it. Note the lack of damage around the end pin.

Last edited by DavidE; 02-25-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 PM

I do Taylor warranty work and finishing, from the photos I would say that has taken a whack from somewhere / something or someone.

If you look to the left of your photo, you can see the lacquer on the binding area has circular shaped cracks to it, they appear to be compression fractures.

Taylor main repair centre will make that practically invisible, I suspect they may re-bind the guitar as well.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 PM

A kid knocked it off the wall! Of course they are denying it! Get rid of the kids before you repair it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Nope. The guitar was hanging. Nobody touched it. Now the lack of damage around the end pin.
Lemme get this straight--are you saying no one else has been in your home in the past few days?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Nope. The guitar was hanging. Nobody touched it. Now the lack of damage around the end pin.
I think the guitar was impacted where this red circle is targeted.

Fell, tipped, smacked the floor. Hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8188_zpszrdp5gqi.jpg (34.0 KB, 176 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion