The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Godin Multiac Nylon Spec Action?

I love my Multiac Nylon SA but I'm thinking the action may be a little high in the upper frets. I measure 5/32" from fret top to 6th string bottom at the 12the fret.

I would love to lower the action a bit but realize Nylon strings need a little more relief than higher tension steel strings. Plus, I often use a flatpick for lead guitar work in addition to fingerstyle playing. I get absolutely no fret buzz anywhere now.

Can you tell me the 12th fret action on your Multiac Nylon, or do you know what Godin recommends?

The only adjustment on these is to remove the neck and shim it so I want to get an idea of what is achievable before I go through that exercise. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't waste too much energy asking what others prefer - you're the player, so set it where it works best for YOU.

That said, with action that high, I suspect you'e want to reduce the clearance at the 12th by something on the order of 3/64".

Frank Ford
Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 PM

5/32 on the low E-String is how I set up my concert classical guitars down to 3/32 on the low e-String. But that Godin is a different animal. And yes action is 100% player preference.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 AM
I know that one

This link seems to have a good explanation for setting the action on the Multiac

http://www.upfrontguitars.com/blog/2...ltiac-guitars/
Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 PM

I saw the "upfront" article previously and the procedures he discusses would lend themselves to any Godin guitar.

However, the photos are of a Godin steel string. And his 12th fret action recommendations (0.07" to 0.08") are much too low for a nylon string guitar.
A typical steel string action for the low E string is 3/32" or 0.094".

I think a standard nylon string action is closer to what redir suggested. I was just hoping to get more specific info for the Godin Multiac.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair