The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Recommend Someone To Renovate Vintage Klusons?

The Kluson tuners on my '51 Southern Jumbo have finally given up the ghost. The plastic buttons are crumbling and I'd like to get new ones put on that match originals as closely as possible (aged slightly?). Also, if tuners can be "tuned up" some as well, that would be good. I seem to remember reading of a guy who specializes in this sort of service, but can't remember where. Anyone have a tip?

Thanks much.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Love this topic.

I did a restoration on a 1956 Gibson with old Kluson tuners in the same condition and I wanted "real" replacements. What I learned is that employees bought the remnants of Kluson and reopened it with the original fixtures and tooling and design drawings and are re-making genuine 100% real and identical Kluson tuners.

I was able to buy brand new Klusons from Kluson taht were the exact replacements for my 1956 tuners. They cost about $110 iirc.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair