The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Carvin VT 50?

Anyone play one of these? I like that its built in the USA and has some nice features and looks cool. I finally got to try a Bugera V22 yesterday and was quite disappointed.

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 AM

What were you expecting...?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM

I was expecting great full tone with some meat but all i got was wimpy harsh grainy treble mush. The dirty channel was even worse--

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Surprising, since I played my first V22 Infinium at GC yesterday (I generally don't play anything I already own) and, while more "British" sounding than my mildly-modded "blue-light" original, was every bit its equal. I say try out a couple others - and with different types of guitars/pickups - before you write it off; you're probably just looking at a bad/loose tube or two (Infinium circuitry or not, those $1.29 POS tubes were/are/always will be the weak link - as they are in many if not most new factory-produced amps), and in these times of mass production, I've encountered other major-maker amps - at much higher prices - that were also far from what they should have been...

While I personally haven't played a Carvin tube amp in nearly 30 years (former bandmate had one of those '80s oak-cab/wicker-grille/EV-speaker X-100 Boogie-clones that came within inches of the real thing, at half the price), as the owner of an MB12 (the dedicated bass version of the AG300 acoustic amp) I can vouch for their quality and solid construction, and IME I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Carvin product; that said, unless you're specifically after the tweed-cab visuals of the VT I'd sooner be looking at the V3MC 1x12" combo, if for sheer versatility alone (three fully independent channels, and with the variable boost you've got quasi-six-channel operation). This one's been on my own radar for a while, and if I needed something with more power than my V22 and less weight/size than my '65 Super RI (hauling that sucker don't come so easy anymore at my age) the V3MC - and a set of bulletproof tubes - would be my first choice...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars