The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLover View Post
Thanks...going from a G chord to a C chord or the other way around is hard.. But I will keep at it..
Don't start taking shortcuts right from the beginning. It's like building a house and leaving some concrete blocks out of the foundation because it's easier. Now if you make G with fingers 2,3,4, the G chord will fall right into and out of C or F.

I have to ask; did your handle come over from the Toyota forum? When I found this forum, I noticed that I was already signed in with my handle from a Nissan forum.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLover View Post
My sticking point is transitioning between chords.
Put your fretting hand on your lap, then reach up to grab the chord shape, strum it to make sure you have it right. Then put your hand on your lap and wait a second, then repeat this with a different chord. You want to form in your mind where your fingers will go. Try not to hover over the fretboard looking for the positions. The goal is to have all fingers plant at the same time in the right spot.

When you can do this cleanly with no hovering, you'll be on your way.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM

There is a lot of good research on practice under the search phrase "deliberate practice". The articles I found changed the way I practice and have helped me progress much faster.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clallam View Post
There is a lot of good research on practice under the search phrase "deliberate practice". The articles I found changed the way I practice and have helped me progress much faster.
Yes, a handful of years ago I read a book titled "Talent is Overrated". It was a really good book and it talked a lot about deliberate practice. I have tried to incorporate some of the concepts into my practicing but I am sure I have also forgotten some of things in the book. A good book if you are looking to improve any aspect of your life.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:28 PM

It's beginning to dawn on me that my poor guitar progress might be down to holding the pick wrong over the last 5 years! I can either unlearn it....or go for broke on fingerstyle picking. No problem.....playing guitar badly is still better than not playing guitar at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write