The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 AM

Default Hard tension strings

So just wanted to find out if all classical guitars can handle hard tension strings? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 AM

It will depend on the age of your guitar and how lightly it was constructed.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't use high tension on any classical guitar made before 1980. Only because I'd be worried about bowing of the old neck of the guitar.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM

It's a kremona Sofia sc that I bought about 4 years ago. Definitely made after 1980. Wanted to try them but I see that that guitar comes with normal tension strings so I'm a little nervous to mess the guitar up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Here's a trick that I've used when I was more into using Hard and Extra-Hard tension strings.... after every playing/practice session I would detune the tuners half a turn, or even a full turn. That's the way I'd leave the guitar in its case until the next time I played it. Then, when I was ready to play again... I'd just tune them up the 1/2 or full turn and then tune to pitch from there.

Even though I now use normal tension strings (Luthier 20 sets) on my guitars, I still do this on several of them. For the flamencos (two Cordoba GK Pros and an F10) I find that this helps keep that flamenco sizzle and snap. For my classicals, I usually end-up leaving those tuned to pitch all the time because I don't want sizzle and snap on those.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Something to keep in mind, there is no standard for tensions between brands. So high tebsion from one manufacturer may be anotger manufacturer's medium tension.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM

D'addario pro art strings in normal tension for a given scale is 85.8 pounds. The High tension are 89.9 pounds. The difference is minimal as far as the construction of the guitar goes but you will notice a difference in tone, volume and probably play-ability too.

I would not worry about the guitar from a structural point of view but any guitar needs to be fitted with the strings that work best for it and you. I like hard tension strings and that's what goes on my 1950's Contreras as well as my newer ones.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I'd take a minute and send an email to the manufacturer (if you can find them) and ask what they think.

Worst that can happen is they never answer you.
best that can happen is they give you information you had never even thought of thinking about!

good luck and let us know what you decide to do or learn.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=redir;5225502]D'addario pro art strings in normal tension for a given scale is 85.8 pounds. The High tension are 89.9 pounds. The difference is minimal as far as the construction of the guitar goes but you will notice a difference in tone, volume and probably play-ability too.

HI redir,

I just purchased a classical recently and I'm experimenting with strings.

I would appreciate anything you could add as to how the volume, tone, and especially the playability differs.

Thank you!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

This is one of those examples where a seemingly innocuous wording change becomes ubiquitous and then the meanings of the words change, creating lack of actual knowledge.

They may call them "hard tension" but there is no such thing. Hardness and Tension are two completely different things. It's like describing something as "heavy cold" It makes no sense.

It's not like the word "hard" takes more time to write than the word "high".

D'Addario seems to have mashed the words "hard" (meaning surface hardness and abrasion resistant) and "tension" meaning a measure of tensile (pull/stretch) strength into a phrase "hard tension" which is just misleading and creates ignorance.

sigh...../rant over

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=MikeB1;5225597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
D'addario pro art strings in normal tension for a given scale is 85.8 pounds. The High tension are 89.9 pounds. The difference is minimal as far as the construction of the guitar goes but you will notice a difference in tone, volume and probably play-ability too.

HI redir,

I just purchased a classical recently and I'm experimenting with strings.

I would appreciate anything you could add as to how the volume, tone, and especially the playability differs.

Thank you!
The higher tension strings will feel stiffer. So for the same action they might be a bit harder to play then normal tension. They tend to be louder. Not sure what the physics behind that is, perhaps being higher tension they have more mass. Tone is subjective though and here's where you have to be careful and why it's important for you to try various sets in various tensions to find out what is right. If you have a very responsive guitar for example the higher tension strings can choke out the top and actually hurt the tone. But in general the higher tension strings drive the top more.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Most production guitars will handle high tension strings just fine. Normally I don't recommend high tension strings for classical/finger style playing because they generally choke the dynamics somewhat vs medium tension strings. However, for strumming chords, I don't see why not. That said, if her fingers are soft, maybe medium tension would be easier on the hands.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh2674 View Post
So just wanted to find out if all classical guitars can handle hard tension strings? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.

I use D'Addario Hard Tension strings with mine. No problems so far.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 AM

High and Extra High Tension strings are a holdover from an age when volume, projection and 660mm to 664mm scale length guitars were the order of the day.

The obsession for volume and projection is still there with carbon-fibre-lattice-braced or double-topped-Nomex-cored watercolour Double Elephant rag paper thin topped guitars but increasingly, players, especially those who play to small groups or for themselves are finding out that medium and low tension strings and shorter scale length guitars sound tonally better with less stress on the hands. With modern mikes and clean neutral Class D amps such as the Acoustic Image Clarus, volume and projection is pretty much a non-issue. So, go for tone and playability.

Yes, one maker's High Tension is another maker's Normal. I'd go ahead to recommend Augustine Black Imperial or Red Imperial strings. Luthier 20 and 35 Dark Silver are good, too, as are the Normal Tension La Bellas. The La Bella Pepe Romero GLOW set has found favour amongst users. I like the Augustine strings. They are all I use at the moment.

Repetitive Strain Injury is a real concern. Take care of your hands and they will take care of you. Build up finger strength before you try High or Extra High Tension strings.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-14-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
...If you have a very responsive guitar for example the higher tension strings can choke out the top and actually hurt the tone...
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
...Normally I don't recommend high tension strings for classical/finger style playing because they generally choke the dynamics somewhat vs medium tension strings. However, for strumming chords, I don't see why not. That said, if her fingers are soft, maybe medium tension would be easier on the hands.
Totally agree.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This is one of those examples where a seemingly innocuous wording change becomes ubiquitous and then the meanings of the words change, creating lack of actual knowledge.

They may call them "hard tension" but there is no such thing. Hardness and Tension are two completely different things. It's like describing something as "heavy cold" It makes no sense.

It's not like the word "hard" takes more time to write than the word "high".

D'Addario seems to have mashed the words "hard" (meaning surface hardness and abrasion resistant) and "tension" meaning a measure of tensile (pull/stretch) strength into a phrase "hard tension" which is just misleading and creates ignorance.

sigh...../rant over
Well said.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical