The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Was your intent to be entertained or did you really want informed opinions? In your original post you asked "...is it possible..." Many people who answered are more than "online experts". They genuinely hoped to help and have the skills and experience to offer useful assistance. I know that was my intent, but your reaction now makes me wonder if my effort was wasted.

Maybe you're not talking about me, but since I did post photos with arrows, it sure feels like you are. It also feels like you're down on anyone who offered an opinion alternate to what you believed.
I wanted opinions. What I received mostly were absolute statements of fact, many of which contradicted each other. That's what I found entertaining. You can't all be so right. On the interwebs people often state their opinions as absolute fact and are quick to consider that there are other possibilities. All of the posts saying it absolutely took a huge hit or fell, could never happen on its own etc... despite my saying it didn't were entertaining as well. Like I was lying about it. However, the only one that ticked me off was the one suggesting I was trying to get a free repair or free guitar from Taylor.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM

I was aware of the problems Taylor had with some of their Cocobolo guitars cracking. Bob's quote was from around 2002 or 2003. Taylor wasn't curing the wood properly at that time and some of it cracked, none of it exploded. Cocobolo doesn't hold stored kinetic energy. I am still convinced that your guitar, from your pictures, took a mechanical hit on the side near the end block, that does not look like a crack to me. Tension from that damage could have caused the top to let go and split, causing damage to the binding. That is just my opinion and I'm sticking with it. I hope all goes well with your repair.

.........Mike
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I wanted opinions. What I received mostly were absolute statements of fact, many of which contradicted each other. That's what I found entertaining. You can't all be so right. On the interwebs people often state their opinions as absolute fact and are quick to consider that there are other possibilities. All of the posts saying it absolutely took a huge hit or fell, could never happen on its own etc... despite my saying it didn't were entertaining as well. Like I was lying about it. However, the only one that ticked me off was the one suggesting I was trying to get a free repair or free guitar from Taylor.
You wanted opinions and you got em...just ones you didn't like stating the obvious.

Your guitar is the only spontaneously exploding guitar in the universe.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-26-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 AM

I'm most interested to see what Taylor says when they receive the guitar.

This guitar did not take the major hit or fall that many of you opine absolutely happened. It did not.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I was aware of the problems Taylor had with some of their Cocobolo guitars cracking. Bob's quote was from around 2002 or 2003. Taylor wasn't curing the wood properly at that time and some of it cracked, none of it exploded. Cocobolo doesn't hold stored kinetic energy. I am still convinced that your guitar, from your pictures, took a mechanical hit on the side near the end block, that does not look like a crack to me. Tension from that damage could have caused the top to let go and split, causing damage to the binding. That is just my opinion and I'm sticking with it. I hope all goes well with your repair.

.........Mike
Weren't you the guy who accused me of trying to get a free repair or a free guitar from Taylor?

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-26-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Mod action
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonOdom View Post
You wanted opinions and you got em...just ones you didn't like stating the obvious.

You missed the party about information I received from Taylor dealers who told me about similar experiences with new guitars hanging in their shops.

But nice use of snark.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Please keep this thread polite. It's OK to disagree, but we need to refrain from accusations and rudeness.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I'm most interested to see what Taylor says when they receive the guitar.

This guitar did not take the major hit or fall that many of you opine absolutely happened. It did not.

After doing some forensic viewing of the photos you provided I agree 100% with you,
and besides all that I just simply believe you.

Using image segmentation, histograms, and luminosity/RGB transfer map curves; my well trained inspector eyes see zero evidence of impact damage.

The top has split (which they are wont to do since glue seams are the weakest nexus)
and all of the other damage is incidental and was caused by the top split.
The cocobolo has absolutely nothing to do with causing this failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if the split propagates beneath the bridge as well.

I hope Taylor can make it well again.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

It is possible it was damaged by a bump or it is possible it had something from the factory inside that was missed and it took it a while to worsen. Wood is strong but it also has it's weaknesses. Could be a million things that happened to that guitar, or it could be nothing happened to it. It also could be someone had their hands on it when you weren't aware of it.

Sorry that you have to go through this. I once put a crack in a D16 just by grabbing it with my elbow as it was falling out of my lap when I was distracted. And I didn't strong arm it either but crack it did.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What I received mostly were absolute statements of fact, many of which contradicted each other.
"My mind is made up: don't confuse me with the facts."

An interesting article on the subject of what people believe vs. facts: Why Facts Don't Change Our Minds.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ange-our-minds

Me? I have no idea what happened to your guitar.

I have a gorgeous piece of 3"x3" cocobolo that I use for turning. Looks just like the classic Brazilian rosewood, spiderwebbing 'n' all. When I bought it, it was entirely encased in wax since it wasn't fully dried. I kept it that way for about 6 months at which time I wanted a better look at it. I scrapped off the wax on its sides. After about 5 minutes, I could literally watch it crack. I immediately recoated it with wax, how it has been for the last 5 years since.

That probably has nothing to do with your story, but it is a story about cocobolo and it cracking when not dry and at equilibrium. One the other hand, I have a number of well-dried cocobolo guitar backs and sides that I've had since the late 90's. They remain flat and crack free, even though they are flat sawn.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 02-26-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You missed the party about information I received from Taylor dealers who told me about similar experiences with new guitars hanging in their shops.

But nice use of snark.
With respect, you received info about Cocobolo cracking, not cracking and taking binding and the top with it.

I don't know what happened to your guitar (other than some pretty substantial damage) but you made the proper decision to send it to Taylor. They will fix it up pronto.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonOdom View Post

Welcome to the forum, Blue Moon. I still think you should never have tried tagging up on that foul ball to the left side. Never bet on a major league fielder napping in a World Series! Sheesh!

Sherlock Holmes used to say to Watson, "When the only explanations are the improbable and the impossible, then the improbable has become likely." That seems relevant, but I'm not sure which way it cuts here.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 02-26-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I did play the guitar at an open mic the week before and I suppose something could have happened there, but I doubt it.

(1) Is it possible for this severe damage to appear a week after an impact (if one even occurred)?

(2) ..... Thoughts on sending it to Taylor for repairs?

(3) Are they reasonable at all?
Back to the beginning, and IMHO,

1. Yes - might have had a bump on the bottom that you did not notice and with time, temperature and humidity change, it later spread quickly
2. Taylor CS is probably your best options for repairs and information on how they think it may have occurred -
3. Yes -

My best to you on your repair - please let us know how it goes, the thoughts from Taylor on the cause of damage and pics of the finished work
Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post

Sherlock Holmes used to say to Watson, "When the only explanations are the improbable and the impossible, then the improbable has become likely." That seems relevant, but I'm not sure which way it cuts here.
I love that quote...
Old 02-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Please keep this thread polite. It's OK to disagree, but we need to refrain from accusations and rudeness.
That would be nice for a change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion