The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

My god. It sounds like an orchestra of guitars. Great playing and great tone! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=JoeCharter;5119018]Thank you, Dennis. My previous attempt was terrible so I needed to "fix" that. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I know many folks would rather hear me play well known pieces but I try to be careful when choosing my covers. At the risk of being ignored, I'd rather post my obscure originals...

In any case, my guitar is tuned in EBD#F#BD# if you want to give it a shot.

Thanks for listening, Tom.

The only reason I say that, is understanding the piece better allows me to anticipate the melody and therefore gives me an appreciation of what you do with the song. It allows me to focus more on your playing then the melody as the melody is naturally in my head. I don't know if this makes any sense or not. Nonetheless I thought it was beautiful and thanks for the tips on the tuning would not have figured that out!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Beautiful arrangement, I love the way you allow the song to breathe
Thank you for your supportive words -- much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Cool Mau, keep in touch... and man, what an Olson... Of course, the way you play yours seems to help too...😜
I'm glad I ordered the blingy one first as I couldn't afford it nowadays with the awful exchange rate and Jim's price increase.

If you ever make it north of the border you are welcome to take it for a spin...

Talk soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
My god. It sounds like an orchestra of guitars. Great playing and great tone! Thanks for sharing.
It's the effects, Juston...

Thanks for listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The only reason I say that, is understanding the piece better allows me to anticipate the melody and therefore gives me an appreciation of what you do with the song. It allows me to focus more on your playing then the melody as the melody is naturally in my head. I don't know if this makes any sense or not. Nonetheless I thought it was beautiful and thanks for the tips on the tuning would not have figured that out!!!
Makes sense, Tom.

The idea of "arranging" a piece was totally foreign to me until I started fingerstyle guitar. Previously I would either play a cover note for note -- or write my own material.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mau,
I'm late to this tune, but a fan of the rendition nonetheless!
The breathing room affords the arrangement a lovely depth and atmosphere.
Best,
D
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Hey Mau,
I'm late to this tune, but a fan of the rendition nonetheless!
The breathing room affords the arrangement a lovely depth and atmosphere.
Best,
D
Thanks so much, Diogo.

I'd been noodling around with this arrangement for a while and decided to post a recording since I wasn't working on an original at the time.

In retrospect there's always something I would've done differently -- but now it's done so I'll live with it...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:52 AM

I spent the last couple of weeks with my Tree SJ and came up with a new instrumental, which I've called "Loulou contre la montre" (or "Louise Against The Clock").

It's a progressive piece that features quiet conversations that turn into an energetic run as the clock ticks away.

Not the most conventional structure but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

This recording was a first take. Imperfect in many ways but still a first take, so I decided to keep it.

Thank you for listening.

https://youtu.be/jxZakTTOV2E

Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 AM

Thumbs up Loulou contre la montre

What a beautiful, haunting song. Bravo!!!

Thank you for sharing your musical journey with us.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 02-27-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: removed confusing question
Old 02-26-2017, 05:39 AM
Music soothes the soul!

My gosh Mau! A masterpiece in the making. You take me to another place with you songs. Beautiful!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Excellent! Thanks for sharing…definitely another one for the CD.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Good morning, Mau!
Well, my heart rate is coming down now! Love the intensity this built to......I don't know if I've heard a piece of yours that ramped up in this way. Beautiful.
The choices of passing notes and tones in this piece really stands out.....as in they might be a questionable fit, but they do! It's really brilliant and so interesting to the ear. Your training and knowledge are on full display.
Certainly one for the upcoming CD.....uh, when was that due to arrive? I may have missed the arrival date! By the way....first take? Sheeesh!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
What a beautiful, haunting song. Bravo!!!

I was struck by the sense of reverb in the interludes of the melody. You're not using a pedal (right?)...is that a response of your SJ, or of your string technique? I'm really taken by it.

Thank you for sharing your musical journey with us.
Thanks so much for listening. I'm not sure what you mean by "sense of reverb", "response of your SJ" and "string technique" (sound is difficult to describe indeed). I'm not using a "pedal" but I do use digital effects on all of my recordings for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
My gosh Mau! A masterpiece in the making. You take me to another place with you songs. Beautiful!
Thank you, Dennis. I don't sing or write lyrics so it's important for me to tell a story through the melody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
Excellent! Thanks for sharing…definitely another one for the CD.
It's always a challenge to catch people's attention with obscure instrumentals -- so thank you for taking the time to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Good morning, Mau!
Well, my heart rate is coming down now! Love the intensity this built to......I don't know if I've heard a piece of yours that ramped up in this way. Beautiful.
The choices of passing notes and tones in this piece really stands out.....as in they might be a questionable fit, but they do! It's really brilliant and so interesting to the ear. Your training and knowledge are on full display.
Certainly one for the upcoming CD.....uh, when was that due to arrive? I may have missed the arrival date! By the way....first take? Sheeesh!!!
I've been promising a new album for at least 3-4 years. By the time I actually do it the CD might be gone...

I'm not about to become a jazz player (although I would love to have that skill) but I've been trying to add more colours to this piece indeed.

Thanks for your kind words, Fred.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Thanks so much for listening. I'm not sure what you mean by "sense of reverb", "response of your SJ" and "string technique" (sound is difficult to describe indeed). I'm not using a "pedal" but I do use digital effects on all of my recordings for sure.
Mau, sorry to be confusing. May I rephrase my question. Between 10 and 20 seconds into the recording, I think I hear a very pleasing, haunting delay. Would you be willing to share how you created your sound? Thanks in advance! -Andy
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Mau, sorry to be confusing. May I rephrase my question. Between 10 and 20 seconds into the recording, I think I hear a very pleasing, haunting delay. Would you be willing to share how you created your sound? Thanks in advance! -Andy
Thanks for clarifying, Andy.

I didn't do anything special at the 10s mark. Same effects all along (in fact same effects in all of my recordings) -- just the basic digital reverb and delay.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Awesome, Mau--Louise is my wife's middle name. Gonna have to share this with her!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I didn't do anything special at the 10s mark. Same effects all along (in fact same effects in all of my recordings) -- just the basic digital reverb and delay.
Thanks Mau. Just beautiful...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop