The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 AM

A review of their new album by Alec Wilkinson:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...rd-mount-royal
Julian Lage is compared to Abraham Lincoln in looks
Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

A fantastic show in MN last night. They are two very accomplished players and the way the weave their solo lines together is great. Played off of each other in a very playful manner , and Chris' voice was strong. It is a better live experience that listening to the CD because of that animated interplay, and being able to better understand each's parts.

Their set-up was minimalist: A stool to put things on, a common mic, one capo each, Julian's Collings (he said it was a new one) and Chris' Martin dred. No pick-ups, pedals, effects, nor a myriad of guitars.

The came out to the lobby after the show and chatted with those of us left. Very nice gentlemen, and very awesome players. Go see them. You will be impressed and have a great time.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Take that!

Old 02-26-2017, 09:23 AM

"Bone Collector" and some of the Punch Brothers' stuff is not my cup of tea, but Chris & Julian blew my hair back pretty good at Wintergrass a couple of years ago.

We had lunch with Ben that year, and he was smiling and talking about Chris' ability to take acoustic guitar music into new places, "....half of which I don't understand"
Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Ditto

I saw them last night at the Ark in Ann Arbor, MI. Two guitars, one microphone, one amazed audience. Stunning show.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 PM

I'm glad folks are enjoying their tour -- glad but definitely not surprised.

I had tickets to see them in Northern Virginia a couple of weeks ago. I was really looking forward to it -- then got slammed by bronchitis. I couldn't inflict my cough on the musicians or the audience so I stayed home. With more advance warning I could have given the tickets away to friends or strangers, but the couple of likely suspect friends I tried at the last minute were busy, and I wasn't doing that well -- just let it slide, which was a shame.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I'm glad folks are enjoying their tour -- glad but definitely not surprised.

I had tickets to see them in Northern Virginia a couple of weeks ago. I was really looking forward to it -- then got slammed by bronchitis. I couldn't inflict my cough on the musicians or the audience so I stayed home. With more advance warning I could have given the tickets away to friends or strangers, but the couple of likely suspect friends I tried at the last minute were busy, and I wasn't doing that well -- just let it slide, which was a shame.
Jammin' Java? Man, I tried to get tickets for that show that weekend but they were sold out. This is indeed a sad tale.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Matt, I knew Julian had a "customized" Collings with a Waterloo type finish and light build but I didn't realize it was a short scale. Wow! There goes all the arguments that a SS can't hang with its longer counterpart. Guess Collings has it figured out.
Froggy Bottom: P-12
Martin CS 000-28 VTS
Walkabout Dulcimer
Fender: Select HH Tele
Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

I saw them in Massachusetts a few days ago, fantastic show, acoustic lovers heaven: just the 2 men, 2 guitars, and one mic. Lage is incredible

They came out and joined the tail end of Aoife O'Donavan in the 2nd set. Very sweet.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmiller View Post
Matt, I knew Julian had a "customized" Collings with a Waterloo type finish and light build but I didn't realize it was a short scale. Wow! There goes all the arguments that a SS can't hang with its longer counterpart. Guess Collings has it figured out.
Nonsensical arguments to begin with, especially when you're dealing with players who innately understand that it's the chemistry between the listeners on stage that makes the notes speak loudly.

A quiet audience is always helpful, of course.

Howad Emerson
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Cool interview on Reverb about improvisation:

https://reverb.com/au/news/julian-la...ents-of-guitar

Would love to see them live, their new album is fantastic.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Saw them at a little theater in Turner's Falls, MA last Thursday night. Outstanding show! Three sets, first with Julian and Critter, then Aoife solo, then all three together. Brilliant, what a fine evening. Do NOT miss these three if you can possibly help it...
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmiller View Post
When I saw them Julian was actually quite a bit louder than Chris. I know that volume level has many variables and Chris is really good at giving Julian space. That being said, Julian pulls a ton of mids out of his guitars that really allow him to cut through. With two musicians like that guitar size is much less important in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 PM

I saw them in New York City - very fine show in a small venue.

Before the encore Julian Lage said that lately he's felt like he and Chris were traveling advocates for the acoustic guitar, which he said were beautiful instruments. Then he encouraged the audience to go out and buy a guitar, take lessons, and as he said, "...before you know it you'll be doing exactly what we're doing up on this stage."

Well, after having watching the two of them unleash pure guitar magic for over an hour, the audience had to laugh at that, like, "yeah right, just like you."

But as you all probably know, Julian is totally guileless and humble so the audience also knew what he actually meant -- you can be playing with friends for friends and having a great time - exactly like us. It was a really lovely sentiment.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeboma View Post
I saw them in Massachusetts a few days ago, fantastic show, acoustic lovers heaven: just the 2 men, 2 guitars, and one mic. Lage is incredible

They came out and joined the tail end of Aoife O'Donavan in the 2nd set. Very sweet.
Same here. I was at that show too. Excellent performance, nice venue, perfect acoustics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion