The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Two guitars I'd like to know more about, A Yairi and ???

Hello everyone.. It seemed like this would be a good place to look for information about guitars...
The first is a CBS Masterworks made by Kazuo Yairi, Model Y1100

The second, I'm told might be a Washburn.. but that's shaky... My dad found it in a cabin with no roof, in 1967.. the top was peeled off it and the neck was badly warped.. It's not really a playable instrument anymore, though it does sound very nice, the action is just too high and would take too much to fix

I have more pics of both of them here
https://postimg.org/gallery/2eu8tezt6/

I'd love to hear about any information on these.. Google hasn't helped me at all
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I like to think that I know something about Yairi guitars, but am puzzled by that first photo.

I've never known Yairi to use an adjustable bridge, or put the pin holes on an arc like that.

Is it signed by K. Yairi? Just curious, not saying you're wrong about it. Can't read the label in the photo.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 AM

Go to www.alvarezguitars.com and send all info on your Yairi. Tom can tell you everything you need to know about your guitar. Helped me out on my DY-71.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Look inside the "Washburn" on the back strip. If it is a Washburn it will have Washburn imprinted on the strip.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 AM

No markings whatsoever on the supposed Washburn.

The Yairi, when I got it, it had no bridge, the adjustable piece is from a garbage guitar that just happened to fit the slot..
Here are some closer pics

Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 AM

The CBS Masterworks guitar is probably from around 1970, before K Yairi hooked up with St. Louis Music for American distribution.

This is certainly an odd duck of a guitar, with a (tonally regrettable) adjustable bridge, which was common on Gibsons of the era. And the WAY over the top headstock and binding bling was toned down to the less garish and more straight-up D-41 look of the DY-85 of the mid '70s.

A very historically interesting guitar, nevertheless, from one of the greatest luthiers of the past 50 years.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM

I suppose a determined person could make a solid bridge, depending on the desire of keeping it original vs best sounding.. thanks for the info

On the supposed Washburn, I think it had nylon or perhaps even catgut strings, the frets are straight, the backside of the neck is V shaped.. Taking a really wild guess I'd think from around the 1930 or earlier.. You don't wear out the fretboard without playing it a few years, and the cabin it was found in in 1967 didn't have the roof rot out and collapse overnight.. that thing was in there for a decade or more I'd think

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion