The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Any Celtic style players here?

Either finger picking or pick. Maybe give me some ideas for 'easy' Celtic songs jigs or reels. Explanation of altered tunings would be gratefully appreciated too.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:18 PM

About half of what I play are Irish/Scottish tunes. Generally with a pick and in standard or drop D tuning.

At a basic melodic level, none are too difficult to play. The complexity comes in getting the accents and ornamentation right.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM

i would recommend any of the DVDs by Tony McManus.
They are all fingerstyle and he uses drop D, DADGAD and other tunings.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Stephen Wake is exceptional. I'm working on a number of songs that he has recorded, and put his own stamp on. I like the third one on the set below, and will post more songs when I get a moment.

Stuart

http://www.modernfingerstyleguitar.c...-stephen-wake/
Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

I play almost entirely celtic arrangements on fingerpicked guitar. I use the CGDGCD or Orkney tuning, which Steve Baughman uses alot, as well as Martin Simpson, I think. DADGAD and Drop D work well too.

I have a handful of transcriptions on my website, www.celticfingerstyleguitar.com, which you might enjoy. I started off listening to the music in its traditional form, played on flute, pipes, fiddle etc. Steve Baughman's Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar method book taught me alot as far as how to render this music on guitar. There is a certain rhythm and flow that gets lost if you try to arrange this stuff using a standard travis picking or classical guitar approach.

Steve teaches some great right hand techniques in this dvd https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Guitar.../dp/B00133D41A

There is also tab for nice arrangements of Red Haired Boy, a Breton Tune, Loch Lomond, and a few others. I picked up alot of techniques that I use in my own playing.

I see Tony Mcmanus has an Introduction to Celtic Guitar DVD, that might provide a good source of a few tunes.

I don't have experience with any of the "Celtic Guitar Encyclopedia" type books out there. I am sure some of them have good arrangements.

Hope that helps some.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I play almost entirely celtic arrangements on fingerpicked guitar. I use the CGDGCD or Orkney tuning, which Steve Baughman uses alot, as well as Martin Simpson, I think. DADGAD and Drop D work well too.

I have a handful of transcriptions on my website, www.celticfingerstyleguitar.com, which you might enjoy. I started off listening to the music in its traditional form, played on flute, pipes, fiddle etc. Steve Baughman's Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar method book taught me alot as far as how to render this music on guitar. There is a certain rhythm and flow that gets lost if you try to arrange this stuff using a standard travis picking or classical guitar approach.

Steve teaches some great right hand techniques in this dvd https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Guitar.../dp/B00133D41A

There is also tab for nice arrangements of Red Haired Boy, a Breton Tune, Loch Lomond, and a few others. I picked up alot of techniques that I use in my own playing.

I see Tony Mcmanus has an Introduction to Celtic Guitar DVD, that might provide a good source of a few tunes.

I don't have experience with any of the "Celtic Guitar Encyclopedia" type books out there. I am sure some of them have good arrangements.

Hope that helps some.
Very helpful thanks. Just the sort of thing I'm after. I'm currently trying to get some teaching books/dvds of a feller called Rob Mackillop over the pond here....but I like your stuff too.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks a lot Anton!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Rob Mackillop is great player, I have watched his videos on youtube. I am sure his material and techniques are worth looking into.

I forgot Steve has a useful and funny series of videos on the Orkney tuning on youtube. Here is the first one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write