The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Default For those who don't know a lot of theory..

I came across this Youtube video series. This fella went to a lot of trouble to post these. I've been following it. Seems to be good so far for a guy like me who doesn't know a whole lot of theory.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xeqmKRKvZv0iu4
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing Wooly- I will check it out.

madhat.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:27 PM

Thanks!
Just might be what I need.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Thanks for posting this,was about to search for those myself. You made it easy Thanks once again!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Just checking out the PDF (free download). It's a ton of stuff and all pretty much excellent...

EXCEPT! Just found a significant (and potentially) confusing typo. In laying out the intervals in a dominant 7th chord, he has the 7th interval labelled as a "major 7th" (should be minor 7th)! (p.87 of the 117-pp PDF.)
I know he'll know this is wrong, so I've emailed him to warn him. Meantime, I've found no other errors.

It's all diagrams, btw (fret patterns and chord shapes), no text - other than the intervals and chord names, etc.. It works fine, because the diagrams are all self-explanatory. A highly visual resource, IOW.

Absence of text means no abstract theory discussion of course. No notation, not even any tab. The "theory" extends only to interval and chord terminology - otherwise this is all guitar technique (forming intervals and chords in various ways on the fretboard). The interval stuff is especially valuable, IMO, and I like that he starts with that, before looking at chords.

There's brief examples of common chord progressions in major keys, but nothing on minor keys (no harmonic or melodic minor). Yet, that is. Another follow-on part is promised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write