The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Default Martin, Washburn, or Guild?

Hello all. I am currently in the market for a new acoustic and the three choices I am considering are Martin DRS2, Washburn WD250SW, and Guild D-140. I have played the Martin DRS2 and I really liked it. I can't find anyone in my area that carries the Washburn or Guild so I haven't been able to play either of those. I'm wondering if anyone has played these models and can give me any comparisons or suggestions on these three models.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM

My choice would be the Guild if you can find one to play. I have a GAD50 that sounds excellent. My buddy who is a die hard Martin fan says it sounds as good as his ooo0-18
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Choices

Guilds are getting a lot of love here lately. You might update your signature to show your location. It would help people suggest someplace close to you that might carry them.

And, BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM

I'd go for the Washburn... Solid roswood would be preferable to me over the mahogany of the others. The Martins of that ilk just don't do it for me. The GAD Guilds are really nice, but I'd go for the rosewood in the Washburn.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Another vote for Washburn. I have a WG15S Deluxe that I really like. It has a very nice natural gloss finish with a satin neck. Solid Alaskan Sitka Spruce top with laminate Mahogany B/S. It has great sustenance. Not sure if the one you are looking at has this but mine has a three piece neck. The headstock down the neck about three inches, the length of the neck to the body, then the heal. It is pieced flawlessly, but I was not expecting this when I received the guitar.

Last edited by owen006; 01-17-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 AM

Take another look at Guilds...I think you will find them to be very smooth sounding...lot of resonance...

But I would look for a used Guild...D50 dread, F30 is a 000 size...many models...
And, I would check out Guitar Center...do a country wide search on GC...they usually have about 6-8 pages of used Guild gear from all the stores...

Choose one and buy it...they will ship it to your local GC store...and you have 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't like it...for any reason...I've bought 2 guitars this way and found it a very nice way to go...

Guilds are tough to find...Here in St Louis, I doubt there is a used Guild in any of the guitar stores...Christmas I was in Chicago...hit about 5-6 guitar stores and think I saw 2 Guilds, total....

Good luck on your "quest"...
'98 Guild F30R
'01 Guild F4ce
'10 Guild F412
'90 Martin DM12
'04 National Estralita
'02 National Electro Resonator
'04 Alvarez Acoustic Bass
'68 Alvarez Classical
'20's era Sears Roebuck
catalog guitar
'06 Fender Strat
Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen006 View Post
Another vote for Washburn. I have a WG15S Deluxe that I really like. It has a very nice natural gloss finish with a satin neck. Solid Alaskan Sitka Spruce top with laminate Mahogany B/S. It has great sustenance. Not sure if the one you are looking at has this but mine has a three piece neck. The headstock down the neck about three inches, the length of the neck to the body, then the heal. It is pieced flawlessly, but I was not expecting this when I received the guitar.

That is a nice looking guitar. I still have WF10s kicking around some where that has a nice tone to it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion