The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-30-2024, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks and a "Shoutout" to Michel Pellerin

A year ago I acquired a wonderful pre-owned Pellerin SJ (Swiss Alpine Spruce over Cocobolo). The instrument was about 18 months old at that time and it took all of 5 minutes to know it was coming home with me. In addition to its playability and incredible tone, the fit & finish is exquisite.

At Artisan last week I introduced myself to Michel and explained my SJ purchase . His interest and sincerity in hearing about my experience with the instrument was quite amazing given that I had purchased it pre-owned and not directly from him. A nearby observer might have thought I was one of Michel's best customers. We chatted for 10-15 minutes and after getting to briefly know the luthier behind the guitar (along with a photo together) I left with an even greater appreciation for both the fine instrument I enjoy and the luthier who crafted it. Thank you Michel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9224.jpg (24.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by gmel555; 04-30-2024 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

That sounds just like Michel, although I would add that most if not all of the luthiers I have met are genuinely interested to connect with owners of their guitars, whether the owner originally commissioned their guitar(s) or purchased it(them) secondhand.

Not sure if you were aware that Michel was traveling to the show from Canada with a fellow Canadian luthier, and the guitars they were bringing to the show were detained by US customs. So Michel and his compatriot arrived at the show with no guitars to exhibit. Fortunately for Michel, two owners of his guitars happened to bring their guitars to the show, so he had some examples of his work to display. When I spoke to Michel, he was his usual warm, upbeat self, which to me was a testament to how positive a person Michel is.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

Great story. You sound like me, in that meeting the builder and enjoying their company makes a special guitar even more special.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Great story. You sound like me, in that meeting the builder and enjoying their company makes a special guitar even more special.
Yep, same for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
That sounds just like Michel….Not sure if you were aware that Michel was traveling to the show from Canada with a fellow Canadian luthier, and the guitars they were bringing to the show were detained by US customs….When I spoke to Michel, he was his usual warm, upbeat self, which to me was a testament to how positive a person Michel is.
Yes he told me the same. I wished I had brought the SJ.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
A year ago I acquired a wonderful pre-owned Pellerin SJ (Swiss Alpine Spruce over Cocobolo). The instrument was about 18 months old at that time and it took all of 5 minutes to know it was coming home with me. In addition to its playability and incredible tone, the fit & finish is exquisite.

At Artisan last week I introduced myself to Michel and explained my SJ purchase . His interest and sincerity in hearing about my experience with the instrument was quite amazing given that I had purchased it pre-owned and not directly from him. A nearby observer might have thought I was one of Michel's best customers. We chatted for 10-15 minutes and after getting to briefly know the luthier behind the guitar (along with a photo together) I left with an even greater appreciation for both the fine instrument I enjoy and the luthier who crafted it. Thank you Michel.
Where's the photo??????????
Old 05-01-2024, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Where's the photo??????????
Didn't happen if there's no pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9151.jpg (55.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Great pict!!! Thanks!
Old 05-02-2024, 11:07 AM

I’ve interacted with Michel a number of times the last 5 years and I like him a lot. Ended up buying one of his OM guitars I don’t think it’s well known but he’s also been teaching and mentoring other luthiers, which is nice to see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop