The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Looking for a Tele

Hi,

I'm looking for a tele. The budget says I'm looking for a made in Mexico or a tele clone. Wouldn't mind having a humbucker in the bridge, but this is not mandatory. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevos View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a tele. The budget says I'm looking for a made in Mexico or a tele clone. Wouldn't mind having a humbucker in the bridge, but this is not mandatory. Any suggestions?
I am biased but I really like the MIM Deluxe Blackout Tele ... 3 pickups, 5-way switch (and with a simple mod, bridge pup on demand) ... classic Tele sounds that can move into "Strat-Territory" while still keeping the Tele character ...

The price is just a little more than a standard MIM Tele ... it also has a better feel to me than the standard MIM's ....

I've played and owned Tele's and Strats but this Deluxe Blackout has become one of my favorites ... check it out if you can ... Sam Ash may carry them in the store (at least our local one seems to keep them in stock).

Happy Hunting!

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM

After geeking out for a couple of months, the one that kept "floating to the top" of the list was the Baja Telecaster. I got one for $400 (kind of a steal) and I love it. U can get one on Craigslist used for b/w $500-600.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Here's my MIM '72 Thinline, I got it used here in the classifieds for 4 beans. highly recommended

Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 AM

If I was going to do it again, I would buy a Squire Classic Vibe Custom.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0303030500

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVC3SB/

Can be purchased for under $400 and are really top notch. I almost wish I would have purchased one instead of the MIM I currently own.
2004 Fender Classic 50's Telecaster
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
If I was going to do it again, I would buy a Squire Classic Vibe Custom.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0303030500

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVC3SB/

Can be purchased for under $400 and are really top notch. I almost wish I would have purchased one instead of the MIM I currently own.
That whole CV line is great. You gotta get past it saying "Squier" on the headstock, but these are nicer than the MIM Fenders.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM

I picked up gently used MIM Standard Tele on craigslist for $250 that I absolutely adore, and probably won't ever get rid of, even though I subsequently bought a "better" (read: more expensive) American made model.

I don't think that deal is a fluke, since I've seen other used MIMs on craigslist for similar money.

No humbucker, but with the money you save, you can easily swap one in.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM

My recommendation....Go with a MIM Standard Tele and when you can, swap out the pickups and electronics. The MIM Standard pickups and electronics are not "bad", but they are also not "good". You can't beat that classic Tele sound but you aren't going to get that with a Humbucker on the bridge.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevos View Post
Hi,

Hi kenos...
My main electric is an American Strat Plus (1993).

But I wanted a Tele, and settled on a Squire Tele - with the Duncan Inspired pickups...and it's quite good. Much better than the $100 Squire models, and the action is good, neck fine, electronics great sounding...

This one - Click

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Not sure what you're budget is, but many of the major e-tailers are having sales this week of 15% off. I picked up a Deluxe Nashville Power Tele and am waiting for delivery. I had gotten one, but it had a horrible hum (not the usual, but more like a grounding issue). That Tele has three pickups (as weill as a Piezo for acoustic tones) so you can probably swap one out with a single-coil sized humbucker at some point and you'll still have the other two pickups for more traditional Tele tones. You can add/change electronics and get all kinds of different sounds. My plan is to turn this into what would moer or less be the offspring of a Tele and Les Paul. We'll see how it turns out, but this configuration could give you more options, which is why I brought it up.

Have fun,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Tele chat forum. http://www.tdpri.com/

Here is the main Tele chat forum. http://www.tdpri.com/

Search for the Baja Tele. Tons of positive feedback.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Some of us old Telecaster players are just Tele-snobs. Keith Richards notwithstanding, like the late Roy Buchanan, we wouldn't dream of switching out the Tele neck pickup for a humbucker. For us, the "Telecaster sound" is determined by those tightly-wound, narrow single-coil pickups. I agree with Terrapin. Get yourself a MIM Tele and then substitute the original pickups for some Fender Texas Tele Specials. They will give you all the mid-range depth you could ever want, and not deprive you of any high-end sweetness or Telecaster twang.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
That whole CV line is great. You gotta get past it saying "Squier" on the headstock, but these are nicer than the MIM Fenders.
And what's wrong with it saying "Squier" on the headstock?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Get a G&L ASat. A Tele designed by some guy named Fender.

TW
Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 AM

I have read on other forums that the SX and Xaviere strat and tele copies are highly regarded for their price. I have never played one personally, and would be a poor judge if I did as I prefer flat fingerboards. It may be worth looking into though.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars