The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Default Twelve String Action

I got my first 12 string, a 355 ce ltd this Xmas and have been playing it since. I have noticed that the action seems fine down low but certain chords, ie a Bm or any barre type chord, up the neck, takes noticably more effort. Is this typical, and is it part of the transition to a 12 string or do I need to have it looked at by a tech? I am used to the low action on my 414 ce.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2002, 10:53 AM

I think it is just part of the transition. It takes a little more effort to hold down all 12 strings on a barre. I play my twelve a lot. Just got a new 455ce LTD at Christmas. Another thing that I have noticed is that my callouses hit just a little different on my 12 as opposed to a 6 string. You just have to work with that 12, but what a sound. Good luck.

By the way, what part of Missouri. I am just across the river from St. Louis in Illinois. We are having a jam session coming up in a couple of weeks in Edwardsville, IL at a great music store. Are you close enough to make it?

MJH
Old 01-18-2002, 02:10 AM

Iceman,

I have two xx14's and the 355CE.

Any 12 string is going to take a bit more grip. For this reason I play my 12 string on the first 3 to 4 frets.

The big deal with the Taylor 12 strings though is the action which, at least on my 12 string, is better than any other 12 string acoustic I played recently. I've got a friend who owns a Martin 12 string...great sound....needs a gorilla grip.

12 strings don't have that light touch IMHO. What they have is a big sound...well at least my 355 does....and the price for that bigger sound is a bit more work on the grip.

My $.02 worth.

RL
Old 01-18-2002, 08:53 AM
I know that one

Iceman -

If you are currently playing in standard tuning try tuning down a half-step or even a whole step. I play a LKSM and it is specially braced for a 1 and 1/2 step C# tuning but I typically keep it D. Then if you need to play with someone in standard you simply capo up. But playing by yourself, the lower tunings on the twelves really give you a big fat sound. I've tried standard tuning on my LKSM and it sure doesn't sing like it does in a lower tuning. And with the lower tuning there's less tension on the strings and they are easier to fret. I'm not sure but the x55's may need a tuning rod tweak if you plan to stay in a lower tuning full time and keep the action perfect.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM

The action on my 355 is better than any other guitar I've ever played.
It's very low, with no buzz, unless I'm pounding on it. (I know I shouldn't be pounding on a Taylor, but sometimes I just can't resist)
It does require more hand strength to do barre chords up and down the neck. It took me about a year, but I can play like that with no troubles now.
I've been playing mine four and a half years, and it just keeps getting better!
Sicko
PS-I'm at work, and my guitar is under my desk, ready for action!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 12-String Sicko
PS-I'm at work, and my guitar is under my desk, ready for ***action!***
pun intended, right? ba da, bump

Anyway...I have a 355 and have played it for quite some time. I've noticed that it has a slightly higher action than an 855 at GC. I probably could adjust it somewhat easily, but I find it to still be a wonderful* instrument.

-TheFool (#50)

*no pun intended
Old 01-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Iceman - I was noticing exactly the same thing on my recently acquired 455. Time to break out the truss rod adjustment tool! Go for it, go slow, but don't be scared to mess with it. Mine plays like butter now, maybe even easier than my 614 (not really, but it is darn close). Take a shot at it - I bet you'll be thrilled with the results.

Stixx had a similar experience recently as well with his W55.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion