The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-27-2016, 03:00 PM

Default slide size

I'm going to make a go at learning slide and need some advise on size. I'll be using my ring finger and my ring size is 13. I'm ordering one online so I'd like to be pretty sure of which size to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 AM

The slide doesn't need to be a snug fit, so err on the side of bigger than your ring size.
13 is big, right? - so I suspect you'll need to go for the biggest available.

I checked, and 13 ring size is 22.3 mm inner diameter. Most slides I've seen are narrower than that, even externally.

This one is classed as "large", but the inner diameter is only 21.5. However, remember the slide doesn't need to go as far on your finger as a ring does - doesn't need to go past the last big joint.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Waves...ar+slide+large

The dimensions of this one are confusing - it gives 3 measurements when there should only be 2! But I'm guessing 2.5 cm is the external diameter - probably much the same as the above, allowing for thickness:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Waves...ar+brass+slide

But if you want a comfortable loose(ish) fit any distance up your finger it looks like these are the ones for you - 25 mm internal:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chrome-Guita...ar+slide+large
If a slide feels too loose, you can always curl your finger a little to grip it inside - at least that will work for the longer of this pair. Or of course you can pad out the inside with something - comfy!

Last edited by JonPR; 01-28-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 AM

Hey JonPR thank you very much! very informative and exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 AM

I spotted the guitarist out of rival sons using an interesting device called a slide ring on this: http://youtu.be/w5SIjyCtT0Y

It looks brilliant but I'm buggered if I can find one anywhere in the uk. Anybody point me in the right direction? Happy to get one shipped from the US.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 01-29-2016, 03:38 AM

I used to make my own ring slides. I had some half round brass or bronze strip which I would cut to about 2 1/4" lengths. I cut strips from nickel plated copper ash trays to a loose fitting ring. I put the bronze strip on an electric stove element flat side up, and melted some solder on to it. Then I placed the ring on top and turned the heat off and let it cool down.'

Later I found some galvanised steel pipe, maybe an inch in diameter and cut an L shaped section out of that. That made an excellent ring slide.

The ring has to be quite loose. I used to wear it on my little finger. If I held my hand flat, palm down the slide would fall into place. Bending the little finger would keep it in place. A little flick of the hand and it would swing to the back of my finger and normal playing would keep it there.

The only problem was I used to keep loosing them. I've made loads over the years, only got one now.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebobby View Post
I spotted the guitarist out of rival sons using an interesting device called a slide ring on this: http://youtu.be/w5SIjyCtT0Y

It looks brilliant but I'm buggered if I can find one anywhere in the uk. Anybody point me in the right direction? Happy to get one shipped from the US.
I've not seen those before either, and I can't find a uk source. Try these sites:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/metal...e-guitar-slide
http://www.jetslide.com/#!shop/cz9h

Good demo of one in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJVHbMCXs4
Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I've not seen those before either, and I can't find a uk source. Try these sites:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/metal...e-guitar-slide
http://www.jetslide.com/#!shop/cz9h

Good demo of one in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJVHbMCXs4
S'ok. I phoned the dude who runs the guitar shop in my home town of Newcastle and he's got one.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 01-29-2016, 03:38 PM

You may find that some slides simply feel better than other ones, and it may have little to do with the actual sizing. For instance, I messed with brass, glass, clay and all kinds of stuff until I encountered a very heavy chrome plated brass slide. It would not have been my first choice at all. It fits loose on my finger and is heavy enough so if I'm not playing slide, I need a steady place to put it. In every way it would seem like the wrong slide. But the way it handles with my fingers and sounds with my guitar is exactly right.

So order online if you want, but I expect reading specs won't give you what you need here. I think you will need to try out the slides individually. The wand picks the wizard.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebobby View Post
S'ok. I phoned the dude who runs the guitar shop in my home town of Newcastle and he's got one.

My daughter did a semester at Newcastle last spring. My wife and I visited. Neat town, with, as I remember, a nice guitar store that had a lot of Gibsons, Martins, some guitars from a UK builder that I really liked, and a bunch of PRS (I live a few miles from the PRS factory here in Maryland). I'm guessing that you've been to that guitar place, but they seemed like they had a lot of stuff and could help you out on the slide. I went to GC here and just tried a few until I found one that I thought fit well for me. Good luck. Newcastle--very cool.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
My daughter did a semester at Newcastle last spring. My wife and I visited. Neat town, with, as I remember, a nice guitar store that had a lot of Gibsons, Martins, some guitars from a UK builder that I really liked, and a bunch of PRS (I live a few miles from the PRS factory here in Maryland). I'm guessing that you've been to that guitar place, but they seemed like they had a lot of stuff and could help you out on the slide. I went to GC here and just tried a few until I found one that I thought fit well for me. Good luck. Newcastle--very cool.
That sounds like the very place I am referring to. Run by a bald chap called Bryan. I've know him for thirty years. I bought a tokai start from him when I was 17 and enamoured of Eddie Van Halen. I am 47 and I have only lived in my home town for 21 or so of those years but yes. It is a lovely place. There were about 7 guitar shops there when I was a kid. My Saturday afternoons were spent visiting them and the local comic shop and second hand book shops. Strangely, I never had a girlfriend. Strange that.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 02-02-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
That sounds like the very place I am referring to. Run by a bald chap called Bryan. I've know him for thirty years. I bought a tokai start from him when I was 17 and enamoured of Eddie Van Halen. I am 47 and I have only lived in my home town for 21 or so of those years but yes. It is a lovely place. There were about 7 guitar shops there when I was a kid. My Saturday afternoons were spent visiting them and the local comic shop and second hand book shops. Strangely, I never had a girlfriend. Strange that.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomanjh View Post
I'm going to make a go at learning slide and need some advise on size. I'll be using my ring finger and my ring size is 13. I'm ordering one online so I'd like to be pretty sure of which size to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The slide is supposed to stop at your knuckle so your ring size might not be that important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write