The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2016, 01:48 PM

OK so I'm normally very nervous/apprehensive about doing anything 'in public' that could potentially embarrass me (I even get nervous speaking at meetings with people I've known for years!) but I realised that other people's constructive input is going to be a vital part of my learning process.

To that end, I decided to get over my inhibitions and I made a couple of recordings of myself on a couple of songs I've been messing about learning, just to form part of my 'blog', so that I can look back on them over the coming months and get a progress check.

So here we are, very unpolished, not great recording quality but it was just the iPad built in mic!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:35 PM

Well, it's been just over a week since my first lesson and I can't believe how much progress I've made in terms of my fretting hand finger agility in such a short time.

A month or so ago it would take me an hour to memorise the 'muscle mechanics' of even a very simple riff/lick, I'd be trying to lift the wrong fingers, etc. but today I looked up the tab for the 'More than a Feeling' Intro, and within 2 minutes was able to record it and be pleased with how it sounds.

Obviously for most people this probably seems like a ridiculous 'accomplishment' but it feels great to me, to be able to do something in a couple of minutes that would have taken me an hour only a short time ago!

Thanks for reading

Old 01-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Started messing around in GarageBand today and recorded a brief section of one of my favourite songs, 'Parade' by Matchbox Twenty.

I'm playing both the strumming and melody parts and just messed around adding a simple drum beat, was good fun!

Also had my second lesson today and started working on barre chords. A long way to go but already feel better about them than I did when I woke up this morning!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Good news, managed to convince an old friend of mine to dust off his old electric guitar, so now I have someone to jam with!

I gather he was a reasonably good player many years ago, so hopefully can learn and have fun at the same time!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Hi
Just wanted to say great progress and I enjoyed the read and the music. I'm 32 and have been playing for just under a year so I can relate. The difference is I was always a talk radio guy with no music inclination whatsoever but for some reason once I started ( because my daughter wanted to learn so I figured I'd learn with her ) it's been non stop for me and it's been an awsome ride. So great idea for a thread and keep it up. One small suggestion don't deprive yourself of singing I have the worst voice ever but it's a lot of fun.

Benny
Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks Benny, appreciate your kind words! That's nice that you and your daughter area learning together! I do sing if I'm at home playing to be fair, just fair to say that I won't be doing so on stage anytime soon haha.

Here is a little lick that I learned this morning from JamPlay, it's a lot more intricate than most of what I'm used to playing so is challenging my co-ordination!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Anyone here a fan of the TV series 'True Blood' ?

I thought it made a good example for learning a bit of rhythm and also some mini bends, hopefully it came out OK, sorry for the bad recording quality!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write