The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Tips for your next Open Mic

You’ve rehearsed your songs, have them down pat but yet you’re petrified of performing in an open mic.

I've got some great news for you. You absolutely ARE ready for an open mic. Surprised? Hear me out.

No, you may not be ready to actually play one yet. But that's coming soon. Let's look at an open mic differently… more like a classroom. Also, leave your guitar at home.

The next time you attend an open mic I'd like to you to be more aware of everything that is going on in the room. Instead of just watching the performer, keep a close eye on the audience. Get to know what moves them by how the performer is connecting with them. Watch the audience’s reaction after the song. Did the performer move them or was the audience’s reaction luke warm? What was the reason?

Did the performer have a interesting thing to say about the song they're about to play? Sometimes it helps to warm up an audience by doing that, or even saying a little something about yourself. If it’s your very first open mic, then you may want to mention something about that. Doing so really helps that connection with the audience and in turn helps you feel more secure. Watch how other performers do that and conversely, watch what may happen if they don’t.

Another suggestion is watching how the performer greets the audience. An experienced performer will start to greet the audience BEFORE they actually stand in front of the mic. In other words, when you’re announce start making eye contact, smile and perhaps wave to the audience on the way up to that mic. You’d be surprised how well this works. The audience will smile back at you and you’ll immediately will have made a connection before you even uttered a word in the mic.

Also, start up some conversations with the folks in the room before and after the open mic. It may be difficult at first but you’re bound to make some new friends among audience members and fellow performers. The more folks you know the more comfortable you’ll feel when you’re ready to step up to that mic. You’ll also quickly see how supportive everyone is with each other, especially to the newbies. Ask the more experienced open mic players for some advise as well. If they’re like me, they’ll love to help you out as much as they can.

Back to rehearsing. After you’ve done your observations at the open mics think about what you’ll do when you step up to the mic. Remember to greet the folks on the way up. What will you say about the song, or about yourself?

During your rehearsals it will help tremendously to record yourself. Just turning on that ‘Play’ button will bring out the jitters and that’s good... you need to experience those and get used to them. They never go away... even the most experienced performers still get them. I know I do. But you need to get used to them and make them work for you. So record yourself over and over again and listen back with a careful... but not TOO critical ear. Sometimes that inner judge can kill you. Give yourself some leeway and keep at it until you’re satisfied.

Next... try playing your song or songs for some of your friends or family members and don’t forget to use your ‘opening line.’ You can also make a YouTube video. You don’t have to invite the whole world to see it, just invite some of your friends to watch.

Now that you’ve put in all this work you truly are ready to perform at your first open mic. When you show up make sure to greet your friends. I can assure you that they’ll thrilled that you’re going to strut your stuff and will be encouraging you all the way.

Finally, keep this in mind. You just may make a mistake or two. Yes, it happens... even to the pros. Trust me... if you’ve done your homework and connected with the audience and perhaps told them that you’re new at this they will be 100% behind you. You won’t find a more forgiving bunch of folks.. because the performers have all been there before and the audience knows that. Just carry on with your song to the completion. Did you see the Olympics? When a skater fell on the ice they got right back up again and continued with their performance. What’s more... the spectators cheered.

Good luck and the best of success. You’re going to be great and this is such a wonderful journey.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Toby,
Where were you with all this great advice the first time I stepped up to the mic? I'm pretty sure I left a telltale trail of bricks behind me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Excellent advice Toby, and great to see you back.

I run an Acoustic Music Club, and have observed how both experienced and novice players cope, and of course in the past made every error possible, so perhaps I could contribute some other observations :

1. Timing : Some organisers give you a number of songs/pieces, some (like me) give you a time slot. Time not only each number but the introduction too. (and thank the organiser).

2. Have a pee two spots before yours, and have a large drink of still water before you go on. Water helps concentration and muscles, in just the way that booze doesn't.

3. Be tuned up, capoed as necessary, picks, and stuff a to hand BEFORE you are called up. Don't waste time!

4. As Toby says, eye contact (connection) with the audience as you approach the performing area, and a brief but definite and positive greeting. (I always look up,smile and say "'allo!" - as if I'm surprised at meeting an old friend - they usually respond.

5. Don't mumble and don't talk too fast. Speak clearly so that you can be understood.

6. Make everything you say concise. Don't be a bore. Be funny IF you know how to time/deliver wisecracks.

7. Don't Talk Politics. You will alienate 50% of the audience.

8. Remember that you have a limited time-slot! The organiser is working to manage "acts" and time, others are nervously waiting to follow you. Don't antagonise either.

9. Don't do "experimental" numbers until you are really confident - Make the first one up-beat, and easy to do - something with a nice hook (and shortish).

10. Thank the audience for every applause (again, making eye contact).

11. Don't ramble, faff about or over run, but also don't rush. Take a deep breath, and play at the speed you rehearsed your stuff.

12. Embrace and enjoy the experience! Remember we all attempt perfection - it rarely exists - everyone flubs! - the art is to not let the audience know (unless you can use it to make them laugh with you).

Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 AM

All very good advice here.

I played my first open mic in 20+ years last Friday, and it was great fun. It was also the first time I've played one without any "liquid courage" first (I gave that up not long after I did the last open mic in the state where I used to live), and I didn't miss it at all.
There was one guy there from my town, who I met at a talent show last year, and there were a couple of people who remembered me from other interests years ago (ham radio and emergency services). I made some new contacts and reconnected with some old ones all in about three hours.

There's another o.m. at the same venue in mid-February, and I'm working on two new songs for that.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 AM

You have gotten some great advice and from someone who has only done 2 open mics (me) I stongly suggest that (as Silly Moustache points out) you do simple songs and not "experimental" or complex songs your first time out. It is much better to do something simple and do it well rather than attempt something difficult and mess it up. The other thing I would like to add is to NOT apologize prior to playing. It is fine and I found comforting, to let the audience know I hadn't played in front of an audience before but I have seen several people get up and say things like "I just started learning this song last night" or even say "I am probably going to mess this up". Practice until you really know the song and do the very best you can, it will show and come across to the audience. Best of luck and remember, have fun!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
I stongly suggest that (as Silly Moustache points out) you do simple songs and not "experimental" or complex songs your first time out. It is much better to do something simple and do it well rather than attempt something difficult and mess it up.
Reading that reminded me of something I used to do: the cheat sheet. If I was planning on playing a song and there was some part of the song that was proving difficult to remember, I'd make a cheat sheet and tape it to the side of the guitar in a place where I could just give it a glance while I was playing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM

This is my 2cents FWIW. Look for a acoustic jam, round robin type gathering in your area. I find them a lot more at ease , and everyone there will enjoy your songs and appreciate your trying to play.
The main thing I like about them is everyone will listen, and you don't have to play above the crowd noise you have to deal with in a bar open mic.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 AM

I've only done a handful of open mics but I also HIGHLY recommend the approach to just do it. Yes, you will be nervous. Yes, you may mess up. But getting up there will show you that it's not as bad as we fear. Each time I go up, I feel like I'm getting more relaxed and do a better job.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? You still get to go back to your beer when you're done. As a friend used to say: "They can't take away your birthday!"
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 AM

All solid advice from Toby here.

FWIW, I took this pic of my audience about halfway through my 12 minute original song at our local O/M:

If you are going to do originals, keep them short. Or at least not too long.

Bill
Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
All solid advice from Toby here.

FWIW, I took this pic of my audience about halfway through my 12 minute original song at our local O/M:

Bill
That is too funny!!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

Bill
I wonder how many times I've heard a kid get up on stage and say, "I don't know what to play ... uh ... er ... here's an original I wrote on my way here tonight (or last night, last weekend, etc) ". No kiddin'. Time to catch some fresh air ...
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 AM

I did my first solo gig a few nights ago. I had played on stage years ago in various electric bands, but solo, acoustic, is a different beast. I played four songs - once for each member of the audience. Who were waiting to go on after me....
The first few tunes I played were relatively simple ones. I got through them but my friend later told me he could tell I was "tight". I only planned three but I was asked to play one more so I went with a pretty complex one (but knew well) nailed it, and it was the one that went down the best.
Not sure what my point is but I enjoyed it and glad I got my first one out of the way.
One point about playing for friends and family - I find I get more nervous and self conscious "performing" in front of them than in front of strangers, for some reason, although they've been hearing me play for years.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-14-2016, 07:33 AM

Ironically, I watched some old videos of post-Beatles Paul McCartney doing some live soloing in front of a large audience recently. He explained how extremely nervous he was not having the benefit of a full band. So if McCartney is nervous...
Lots of good advice here. Open Mics should be fun. Relax and enjoy the opportunity to show your stuff.
I play in a duet now so having the support of even one more singer/ musician is enormous, but I have performed solo extensively as well.
I'm always nervous, that never goes away completely. I found that most audiences are not as critical as you would think. And even if they are, so what. Playing songs you are totally comfortable with is a great suggestion. If you have an original, play it. It's an open mic, not a paying gig.
Playing something simple, uptempo and fun to open your can relax you and the audience.
One song I have done and we still do is "Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio"
It's fun, has humor in it and definitely gets the audience on your side right away.
I have also learned how to immerse myself in the performance of each song and tune out the audience until the song is over. Like the Nike Ad says "Just Do It."

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-14-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Nerves - We ALL get 'em to varying degrees - I would even say that if you don't you might be over confident!

However, hereto and wherefore - nerves can be viewed in two ways:

1. Oh heck, my knees are knocking I'm cold sweating and I might mess up - and they'll hate me and I'll have to leave town and oh dear, panic!

OR

2. Wow, I feel a bit nervous....am I scared? ....or excited?
My body is showing me all these symptoms - sweaty, shaky, scary, but maybe it just because I'm pumping Adrenalin because I'm ....excited!
After all this is what the human body is designed to do if confronted by a sabre toothed tiger or something - but out there are just a bunch of nice folk that I'm going to sing and play too - they won't eat me ....al;though that pretty girl on the left ...well maybe I'll just sing a nice song to her, and to that nice looking couple over at the right, and, maybe it'll be alright ..yes it'll be alright, - wow - Its me now, deep breath, walk out and smile!!!

=============================

It's true you know nerves are just your bodies response to some sort of confrontation. We sweat to make it easier to run, and more difficult to get grabbed. You breathe faster and your heart beats faster to give you more energy to run or fight.

Audiences aren't aggressive - they want you to succeed and to entertain them. If it isn't perfect - most won't know anyway.

Remind your body of the noticeable absence of sabre toothed tigers and go out and sing/play.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
One point about playing for friends and family - I find I get more nervous and self conscious "performing" in front of them than in front of strangers, for some reason, although they've been hearing me play for years.
Me too, I've been playing for a long (very long) time and find an audience of strangers easier than a few friends and family (actually it's only the singing I find hard, playing guitar isn't a problem).

Anyway, lots of good advice here.......
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write