The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Jorma Kaukonen's Fur Peace Ranch Guitar Workshop

Sweet Home Chicago - Hot, Chicago style blues for acoustic, fingerpicking guitar with ALL the trimmings.

Workshop taught by Toby Walker. Seating is limited

I’ll be showing you very unique shuffles, turnarounds, endings, intros, chords, double stops, improvisational techniques and even cool, accompanying bass lines. We’ll put every one of these to use while learning songs by Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy, Hubert Sumlin, Willie Dixon and many more. I’ll even throw in some fingerpicking, solo arrangements of classic, Chicago blues tunes while showing you how to arrange your own. By the end of this course you’ll have all the groundwork you’ll need to either play solo or stand out in a jam.

Extra, Extra, Extra: instructional videos and tab included!!! All of the materials covered in my class will also be available to you on a hidden page on my web site which you can download and study in your spare time at your own pace. Plus, each student will have their own, private one-on-one lesson with me during the weekend.

Here's the link to find out more.
https://www.furpeaceranch.com/instru...by_walker.html

Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Where's the "like" button to press?

Sounds great, Toby... and well-needed, too!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Where's the "like" button to press?

Sounds great, Toby... and well-needed, too!
Thanks. Tell all your friends!
Old 03-04-2016, 03:00 AM

That's awesome, hope I can attend some day. That reminds me, I have a Jorma Kaukonen story (sort of).

30 years ago, I took a guitar course at Frederick Community College, the instructor was a fine musician with a masters degree in music from Yale, I don't recall his name. So one day, he calls me at work, says the lesson will be at his house not the college that day. I go over to his messy house, booze bottles all over, there's a Steinway with songbooks and dead soldiers piled on it. He had this Ramirez Classical with cigarette burns on the headstock, he'd tuck his smokes in it as he played.

So he says, "Excuse the mess, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassady came by for a visit, Hot Tuna was in Washington, we're old friends." Then he says, "I was going to call you and that kid who plays the dobro, thought you might enjoy hanging out and jamming, but it was early in the morning and didn't want to wake you."

Oh man, I lived only a few blocks away, I'd have been there in a minute, I was that close to jamming with those cats.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
That's awesome, hope I can attend some day. That reminds me, I have a Jorma Kaukonen story (sort of).

30 years ago, I took a guitar course at Frederick Community College, the instructor was a fine musician with a masters degree in music from Yale, I don't recall his name. So one day, he calls me at work, says the lesson will be at his house not the college that day. I go over to his messy house, booze bottles all over, there's a Steinway with songbooks and dead soldiers piled on it. He had this Ramirez Classical with cigarette burns on the headstock, he'd tuck his smokes in it as he played.

So he says, "Excuse the mess, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassady came by for a visit, Hot Tuna was in Washington, we're old friends." Then he says, "I was going to call you and that kid who plays the dobro, thought you might enjoy hanging out and jamming, but it was early in the morning and didn't want to wake you."

Oh man, I lived only a few blocks away, I'd have been there in a minute, I was that close to jamming with those cats.

Great story indeed. Of course, once you do make it to FPR you actually can jam with Jorma.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Guest 33123

I'll be at FPR on October with Woody. Best of luck on your course! Wonderful place.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Woody's a great guy and teacher. You'll have a great time for sure.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

There are still a couple of openings for this class. It'll be a LOT of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write