The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Toby Walker - "One of the best roots acoustic guitarists." - Rootstime Review

Rootstime, a music publication in Belgium, has just reviewed my latest CD - 'Mileage.'

Much thanks to Eric Schuurmans for writing it and to my friend Carl Bludts for the translation to English.

Singer-songwriter Toby Walker is an American musician, who should be counted worldwide among the top of the acoustic blues guitar players. Quite young he ignores the Beatles, Rolling Stones and his electric guitar , because his love for the acoustic guitar is greater and a solo career offers more opportunities for personal development. His musical heroes are Albert King, "Blind" Blake, Mississippi Fred McDowell and (for the lyrics) Arlo Guthrie. Walker's main goal as a musician is being true to himself. He always wants to be one with his music. Therefore he often went to Mississippi, to hear the musicians (like Jack Owens, Eugene Powell, James "Son" Thomas and R. L. Burnside) , to speak and to learn from them what blues really is.

At school Toby always made his fellow students laugh and that's also his aim with his audiences. Entertaining with songs, stories of his travels and often hilarious anecdotes about his meetings with many old bluesmen is what he does best.

End 80s when he lived in Long Island NY, he played with local blues bands. When Louisiana Red was playing in Long Island, Walker was asked as backing guitarist.
In Manhattan he met Jorma Kaukonen, the founder of "Jefferson Airplane", inviting him to attend to the annual meeting and workshops by / for acoustic guitarists in his Fur Peace Ranch (200 places large concert hall) in Pomeroy in Ohio. Today, he teaches guitar, has its own website (with lesson packages) and puts out regularly instructional DVD's through Homespun Tapes such as "Blues Fingerpicking Freedom" Walker also works with Carnegie Hall supporting their "American Roots" program, which is meant to guide the higher education students musically.

Toby Walker never sits still and "Mileage" is his twelfth studio album since "Little Toby Walker," his first one in 2001, The album features traditional blues, country, bluegrass, swing and originals. Beside his originals there are songs by Thomas "Mookie" Brill ( "My Baby Owns A Whiskey Store"), Tim Wallace ( "You Do not Really Care"), Muddy Waters ( "She Moves Me") and a old classic jazz song by Fats Waller ( "Lulu's Back In Town"). Some of the songs like the opener "Seven Day Wonder" and the humorous "Shakin 'Her Bacon" he wrote with Tom Griffith. Ultimately eleven (out of seventeen) are original Toby Walker songs. There's a fastfingered instrumental "Daley's Reel / Stoney Lonesome", Irish tinged "Shady Grove", the traditional Delta song "My Time After A While" the country blues song "Jimmy Boy The Newsboy", "Angeline The Baker" and ending with "You're Gonna Look A Monkey When You Get Old" .

Toby Walker proves with "Mileage" again that he still has to be counted among the best acoustic roots guitarists. What's he doing here technically on his authentic Martin D-18 (1956), and his trusted National tri-cone resonator is simply outstanding. Take your time and enjoy "Mileage" another fine example of Toby Walker stories.
Eric Schuurmans

Last edited by Toby Walker; 07-08-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

That's awesome Toby (although I hope that it reads better in it's native language!)
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Toby - very cool to get such recognition!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitman View Post
That's awesome Toby (although I hope that it reads better in it's native language!)
Thanks. I just had my friend over in Belgium translate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases