The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Default Voyage-Air Neck Reset

I've had a Voyage-Air VAOM-04 for about 7 years and it's become my go-everywhere, travel, campfire, super-dependable guitar. It plays like a dream, sounds far better than it's laminated back and sides suggest it should, and has some of the most beautiful 'hog that I've seen on either laminated or solid acoustics.

Sadly, the top has bellied enough that I needed a neck reset to keep the action where I like it while still having ample saddle height and string break.

I made the adjustment last weekend and was thrilled that the folding neck made the neck adjustment an absolute non-event. Shaving 1/32" from the heel of the joint (tapering to zero at the fretboard) brought the neck plane up by about 1/8" and only took about 15 minutes to do.

Granted, I have a well-equipped woodshop and have been a semi-professional woodworker for about 15 years, so I'm very comfortable making big pieces of wood smaller, but I think that anyone with a dead-flat sanding board, a marking knife, and some patience could reset a Voyage-Air neck.

Boy, I wish that all of my guitars had Voyage-Air neck joints ... unfortunately, all of the other acoustics are dovetailed necks.

Blueridge BR-160A
Blueridge BR-163A
VoyageAir VAOM-04
Fender FSR Standard Strat
Old 10-03-2022, 01:15 AM

Do you have any photos of how you did this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair