The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Question Newb player who has no idea what they're doing...E string troubles

I just started two weeks ago and am very new to the world of making music, so I could use some pointers. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

The guitar I'm using is a fairly old one but it's in tune. I've tested it many times. The problem atm is that I can't seem to play most chords decently. The high E string sounds horrible, like I'm just snapping on a rubber band or something. I'm not pressing down on it hard, keeping fingers away from the frets, etc, and it sounds perfect when it's open. The string is brand new too. I don't know what could be wrong and have tried to look this up to no avail.

Any words of wisdom at all would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF.

If you are just two weeks in to playing guitar, I'd recommend a bucket or two of patience while you build up callouses and muscle memory.

YouTube has a lot of great video tutorials - search "beginner guitar lessons".
There is an app called Yousician that you might find useful also. There are many resources for you to call on, including us here!

If the problem persists, post a video so we can see what you are doing and maybe we'll have some useful suggestions.

good luck!
Amyfb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM

A video would help.

There's a lot of possibilities, and the culprit in many of them is the guitar, not you!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 PM

I'm afraid they are right. A LOT of things won't sound good in the beginning. Lots of people quit (not just the guitar) because of the early troubles. More specifics like which chords you are playing that present problems would help. Bar chords? Just take a breath and focus on the things that do sound good and enjoy the small accomplishments in the beginning. Good sound will come.
2007 Kelday OM Brz/Adi
2012 Thomas Childers Classical
Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Hi brokenwings and welcome to AGF. Would you mind telling us which guitar you're playing and what instruction are you using to guide you?

Be prepared. This is a looooong road with many peaks and valleys along the way. But those peaks are worth all the valleys.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:01 PM

Thanks so much for the encouragement/suggestions! I'm using a First Act (not sure of the exact model) and mainly using justinguitar.com and the GuitarTuna app for lessons. Although any instructor who knows what they're talking about is helpful at this point. I'm just learning the basic chords, D I'm having trouble with now. Watching demonstrations hasn't really helped. Is there a very specific way you're supposed to strum or place your fingers?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Yep, you gotta practice it until is sounds good. There is no shortcut...that being said if after a couple months you are still interested you need to dump the first act guitar and buy a real guitar but not until you are sure you want to continue.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Will do, thanks so much!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Make sure you are fretting (left hand) at the right point. See the picture below. If you press down towards the back of each fret, it takes less pressure and you'll get a better sound.

2007 Kelday OM Brz/Adi
2012 Thomas Childers Classical
Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 PM

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure that your fingernails on you fretting hand have been trimmed down enough? Long nails can sometime introduce problems with clean fretting.

Apart from that, paitence, grasshopper, and practice. It will come.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwings View Post
The high E string sounds horrible, like I'm just snapping on a rubber band or something. I'm not pressing down on it hard, keeping fingers away from the frets, etc, and it sounds perfect when it's open. The string is brand new too. I don't know what could be wrong and have tried to look this up to no avail.
Is it possible you're accidentally touching and muting the string with your palm or one of your other fingers?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Have you had your guitar set-up at all?

One few other possibilities for your noise is that the slot in the nut for the high E string is too shallow or there is a high fret someplace and the string is ringing against a fret.

A good set-up will take care of correcting any action issues, leveling frets, correct any issues with nut or saddle, etc...
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Frankly, I'd dump the First Act.

Get a cheap Fender or Yamaha, or similar, used off Craigslist, and have the guy meet you at whoever is the good set-up person in your area. Have him look at it and tell you if he can make it right.

I'd do lot's of finger exercises up and down the neck and up and down the fretboard, practice the few chords you know. Learn one song with 3 or 4 chords all the way through perfectly. Pick every chord you know until every string is clean. If you're muting or buzzing a string in that chord, you don't have it yet.

If you get really frustrated and no matter what you do you just can't get it down right, that's completely normal, welcome to the club.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM

No matter what guitar you choose to play

I highly recommend the book, PUMPING NYLON by Scott Tennant.. It has great left and right hand exercises that will improve your playing, tone, etc...
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Just as an FYI, there are a few very high quality (and high priced) First Act custom shop guitars out there. Seems a rather microscopic chance the OP has one of those, but they weren't all sold through Toys 'r Us.

And OP, welcome to being a Guitarist! For most guys it's right up there with "being a Dad" as far as best things to be goes Lots of good advice here, just keep at it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical