The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 01:07 AM

Default 8 string baritone guild, anyone own one?

thinking about buying one
Old 04-23-2024, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

I don’t own one, but I’ve played one and it was really cool. The bass was amazing. I ended up finding a great deal on a Taylor equivalent, and that is very cool as well. I’m playing mine finger style, usually in open tunings.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:52 AM

I own a Guild 8 string baritone.
I sold an Alvarez 6 string baritone and got the Guild.

The 6 string baritone was muddy and floppy when tuned B to B.
The Guild was a bit better but still somewhat muddy sounding.

I experimented with string gauges and tunings and found that for me, the best sound on the Guild 8 string baritone is tuning the guitar D to D with medium gauge phosphor bronze strings.

This tuning is also great for my vocals.
With the addition of a capo, I can find keys that work for a lot of songs that never sounded good on my 6 string guitars.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I own a Guild 8 string baritone.
I sold an Alvarez 6 string baritone and got the Guild.

The 6 string baritone was muddy and floppy when tuned B to B.
The Guild was a bit better but still somewhat muddy sounding.

I experimented with string gauges and tunings and found that for me, the best sound on the Guild 8 string baritone is tuning the guitar D to D with medium gauge phosphor bronze strings.

This tuning is also great for my vocals.
With the addition of a capo, I can find keys that work for a lot of songs that never sounded good on my 6 string guitars.
I just purchased one and it has a plastic bowl or cup floating loose around inside the body. I got it from the Guitar Center but I really like this guitar, the action and way it sounds. Having a bass voice, I think I can adapt it to my singing real well. And given that guitars, even of the same models, are not the same I dont want to return this guitar! I have contacted Guild by phone leaving a message and an email but havent heard anything from them. I dont know if this cup is a necessary part of the guitar or if somebody left it in the guitar during the manufacturing process. If you look inside your guitar body, can you see a semi opaque plastic bowl like cup glued inside somewhere?
Old 04-23-2024, 06:43 PM

There is nothing like a cup inside my guitar.
Get that out asap.

If your baritone is new, be prepared for trouble removing the Bass B string bridge pin.
They are wedged in there and don't want to come out.

Most everyone that I know of that has a Guild Baritone has had to replace at least one bridge pin on the first string change.

I replaced all of the pins with brass pins at first but a year later, I went with bone pins.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
There is nothing like a cup inside my guitar.
Get that out asap.

If your baritone is new, be prepared for trouble removing the Bass B string bridge pin.
They are wedged in there and don't want to come out.

Most everyone that I know of that has a Guild Baritone has had to replace at least one bridge pin on the first string change.

I replaced all of the pins with brass pins at first but a year later, I went with bone pins.
Yes, I am going to have to remove all the strings to get the cup out so I will anticipate the pin problem. And with the little bag that had all the goodies in it, it had extra pins, so I assume guild knows about the problem. I contacted my luthier and he said the cup probably held a wet sponge. The guitar may have had a cracking problem that was re glued and they forgot to take the plastic bowl out when the drying process was done. I called and emailed Guild about this and have not heard anything back from them. He also said it would be a good idea to look inside the guitar body with a flexible mirror to inspect what might be an issue. So I bought a telescopic mechanics mirror and flexible light from Harbor Frieignt and when I take the strings off I will inspect the inside to see if anything is going on there. I never thought of doing that when I buy a guitar but is probably a good way to inspect an older guitar for problems before they become a major issue. Now I wouldn't be doing this at all since I bought the guitar from guitar center and can return it, but I really like the sound and action on it, just the way it is.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:36 PM

I agree. Return and replace it.
I had to return mine twice before I got the one that I have now.
Two others had bridge problems.

The one that I have now is a great guitar and worth going through the problems
that I had with the two other guitars.

Last edited by L20A; 04-24-2024 at 02:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion