The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Double OO Humidifier Case

Been looking for a way to keep two of my guitars a H&D OO-SP Custom and a Bourgeois OO Custom safely displayed and humidified during the winter months without having to keep them in their cases. I found there are quite a few wood gun cases on Craigslist for very reasonable prices and decided to seek one out that I could use for this project.

I bought this case from the original owner who had it custom built by a well known local cabinetmaker out of solid cherry 34 years ago and the finish has taken on a pleasant rich patina. It's a simple design but very well made with through pegged tenons on the doors.

I installed two String Swings to hang the guitars from and will next work on installing weatherstripping and a simple humidifier along with a hygrometer to monitor the humidity.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, I just try to do the best I can with them.

Bourgeois on left H&D on right.

This picture has a Reso on the right, but it won't live there, just visiting.

One with the doors open.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I wan (am) wanting to do something just like that.

That looks great

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Ragtime, I suggest you contact Betz at http://www.acousticsaver.com. Maintaining humidity at the desired level actually is more difficult than you would expect. The cabinet looks great and should work well.

I would hold off on sealing the doors until you figure out what type of humidifier you are going to use. I was shocked by how difficult it is to keep humidity at 45% in a display case.

Last edited by StringMeUp; 08-05-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Correct typographical error
Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Ragtime, I suggest you contact Betz at http://www.acousticsaver.com. Maintaining humidity at the desired level actually is more difficult than you would expect. The cabinet look great and should work well.

I would hold off on sealing the doors until you figure out what type of humidifier you are going to use. I was shocked by how difficult it is to keep humidity at 45% in a display case.
Thanks for the link, I was planning to use open tupperware containers with sponges recessed into the bottom of the case but really had no idea if that would work well enough. Humidity levels are so high here in SE VA right now that it might be a few months to even be able to tell how it would work. I'll contact the guys at acousticsaver this week.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:37 AM

First off... those are two awesome guitars. I think you reached into my dreams and stole the designs for my ideal guitars.

Second, the cabinet looks great. I hope you find a way to keep humidity stable in there because those guitars deserve that sort of display.

Keep us posted when the dry winter months come around.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtime View Post
Thanks for the link, I was planning to use open tupperware containers with sponges recessed into the bottom of the case but really had no idea if that would work well enough. Humidity levels are so high here in SE VA right now that it might be a few months to even be able to tell how it would work. I'll contact the guys at acousticsaver this week.
I look forward to hearing what you decide to do and how it works. You may want to get an OnSet HOBO logger and run tests at different locations in the cabinet -- most importantly at the sound holes. I think you will be surprised how much the humidity will vary in the cabinet.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Ragtime, I suggest you contact Betz at http://www.acousticsaver.com. Maintaining humidity at the desired level actually is more difficult than you would expect. The cabinet look great and should work well.

Nice cabinet by the OP.

As a recent owner of an Acoustic Saver unit, I wholeheartedly endorse them. My unit has stabilized at 72 degrees and 45 percent humidity.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferganzo View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
That is beautiful!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferganzo View Post
Nice cabinet by the OP.

As a recent owner of an Acoustic Saver unit, I wholeheartedly endorse them. My unit has stabilized at 72 degrees and 45 percent humidity.

[IMG][/IMG]
Are you kidding me with that?

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

You make me want to build on an additionional room so that I can do the same thing - unfortunately I live in a tiny, rented, NYC apartment. My bedroom is only a tad larger than your cabinet.

I'll be very interested to see if the humidity in Ragtime's cabinet stabilizes.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I look forward to hearing what you decide to do and how it works. You may want to get an OnSet HOBO logger and run tests at different locations in the cabinet -- most importantly at the sound holes. I think you will be surprised how much the humidity will vary in the cabinet.
Looking at their website I think that they might be a bit more than I was expecting...unless I overlooked something.

I currently have a Oregon Scientific wireless unit along with a Planet Waves Hygrometer that I have set up to monitor how well my humidifier system works. Just getting it all set up so it will be a while to determine what modifications I'll need to make.

Living in SE VA summertime interior humidity runs around 40% while winters drop to around 25% with short excursions down into the mid teens. Manageable I hope.

Thanks for the link!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion