The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynne View Post
Took it to a respected local place for guitar repair after owning the guitar for less than two weeks . . . . turns out the bridge had to be re-glued and a couple other issues.
Yes, buying any used item can be a challenge when you are not familiar with the items you are buying. That's when a the higher price from a trusted dealer can actually save you a lot of money.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 AM

I really have never understood the offense people seem to take at so called lowball offers.

It's just an offer. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay ultimately. You never know someone's situation. If I have a set amount I can pay I won't hesitate to make a specific lower offer with the caveat that is all the cash I can part with. The person is free to accept or decline. It's not a personal insult to receive a lower offer.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM

CL is a mixed bag. I've gotten some deals, and given some. You just have to patient, ignore the low-ballers, the no-shows, the bottom feeders, the nuts. But an old fashioned face-to-face transaction eliminates a world of woe ... bad checks, phony accounts, scammers, shipping problems, dissatisfied buyers, etc, etc. It's the ONLY way I sell gear now. My most memorable deal was buying a pair of Mackie SRM450's from a guy in MA ... had the PA all set up, and we jammed for an hour. Then he showed me his music room ... a Steinway grand piano, a minty Hammond B-3, a fine set of drums, and two walls covered with VERY upscale acoustic guitars (which he offered me to play!). It was an afternoon well spent.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 07-26-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 AM

I sold two cars and a trailer on CL this year, tried listing a few guitars with no responses so far. I have sold at least a dozen guitars on eBay.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman9270 View Post
That's just stupid and I have no problem calling people and telling them that.
I've experienced both ends of the spectrum....more than once....and while the "low" enders seem to outnumber the highs, sinking to their level is something I won't do.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM

I bought a used Fender Bass for my wife's Birthday a few months ago. Typical Craiglist experience. Seller was a complete flake who couldn't figure out how to actually meet up.

I have a Guild and a Larrivee 12-string listed but so far all I have received are tire kickers, spam, and flakes who claim they are going to meet and never show up.

I've sold a few used cars on CL and it's the same thing.

I'd much prefer to sell here. Much lower chance of having to shoot a violent meth-head that way as well.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM

craigslist does turn up some amazing deals sometimes, in the USA that is.

where i live the ads are generally for " lovable south american /russian hot young thing would like to meet rich swiss guy with a view to a meaningful relationship"

there are several other swiss and european small ad alternatives to ebay etc so i submit this ongoing conflict of opinions for your consideration and comment:

http://www.englishforum.ch/items-sal...ml#post2206228

yes i am the original poster of the ad.

and i don't really have a lot of time or sympathy for bull****ters.

i did sell a sax on there to a nice american guy who understands how to send me a message and then call me.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I've bought a few and sold a few. In general, have had good luck with Craigslist. I've been the victim of a couple of time wasters, but that's par for the course with a free market forum such as CL.

When buying, or selling, just exercise common sense. Recently, I emailed a seller about an early 60's Martin 000-16C that he had listed for a very low price, though it was in rough cosmetic shape. After one email exchange where I had let him know I would pass, he had dropped the price a couple of hundred and offered to meet. Here's the redacted email:
From 3:30 til 6:30 I at a place on hull street road near warwick blvd called Hideaway drinking beer with friends I bring the guitar with me
I'm already out at this point, but a quick Google of the location he'd sent revealed that it was a local biker gang hangout where four folks were stabbed over the last couple of months, and the old adage was affirmed. If it's too good to be true...
Old 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM

I've always had a lot of trouble selling instruments on CL in my area because there just isn't much of a guitar market where I live. I've sold a couple, though, and they have been good experiences.

Some of my best guitars I've bought on CL - I bought a mint Fender Splattercaster, worth $500-$800 for $200 on CL - guy knew he had a MIM strat, but he didn't know it was worth more than your average MIM. Also bought a neat little 50th anniversary squier for like $30 bucks. I've found that if I search for 'guitar' rather than more specific listings, I can always find people who are selling guitars that they don't understand or know the worth of. Guitars have a tendency to linger in closets and attics until some fool sells them for next to nothing because he has no idea what a guitar is worth. I've had the good fortune of buying two or three guitars from those fools.

I also bought a fun little telecaster on Craigslist - got a great deal on it.

My friend bought a custom American made tele on CL as well, paid about $500 and it was a beautiful guitar.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Rivers, I live in the same market you do and I'd agree it is a buyer's market generally, but I've had decent luck selling. It just takes a whole lot of patience. I like the fact that I can watch a guitar go unsold for a month or two, and when I call they are desperate to sell.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
Rivers, I live in the same market you do and I'd agree it is a buyer's market generally, but I've had decent luck selling. It just takes a whole lot of patience. I like the fact that I can watch a guitar go unsold for a month or two, and when I call they are desperate to sell.

That is very true, a buyers market is more of what it is. I've tried to sell a couple guitars ranging from custom Epiphones to a Smartwood American made Les Paul, and never really got much distance with it. At the end of the day, I end up trading in any guitars worth less than $400-500 and eBay the ones worth more.

I had a Fender strat awhile ago I was able to sell on Craigslist here fairly quick, and I sold an old Estaban classical guitar. Basically everything else I've tried to sell, I haven't. I know it isn't my pricing or listings, because I always write very detailed listings, use lots of good pics, and generally price it 20-40 percent less than your average eBay listings.

I think the market is more inclined to buy than sell, you're right.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 PM

I've sold lots of guitars and related gear on CL with complete success. Like kyDave, I keep my ads LOCAL and absolutely will not ship an instrument.

I deal only in cash and all sales are final. For big money deals, I usually reserve a meeting room at my bank (free). As a backup, I've done deals at my local Police Station.

Never had a problem.

Bill
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I've sold lots of guitars and related gear on CL with complete success. Like kyDave, I keep my ads LOCAL and absolutely will not ship an instrument.

I deal only in cash and all sales are final. For big money deals, I usually reserve a meeting room at my bank (free). As a backup, I've done deals at my local Police Station.

Never had a problem.

Bill

Those are smart meetups. One of the problems I've always had with meeting up for a guitar is testing it, because I normally buy electric guitars on Craigslist. You can't just plug in an amp at your local McDonalds. I have a headphone amp, though, I bring now.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Old 07-26-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Use PayPal

Within the last week I concluded a very successful transaction on a fairly expensive guitar via Craigslist HOWEVER I conduct all transactions using PayPal as purchase protection

Jack Snodgrass
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747crew View Post
Within the last week I concluded a very successful transaction on a fairly expensive guitar via Craigslist HOWEVER I conduct all transactions using PayPal as purchase protection
I'm curious, what purchase protection does that give? It seems like all that would allow you to do would be to pay with a credit card, rather than paying cash. It's not like using Paypal insures the purchase at all - all you'd have is the person's email if something went wrong. And more sellers would likely prefer cash as well.
MIJ Vintage Squier

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion