The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

I recently went through the exact same situation about 5 months ago. Was looking for a $300 or so acoustic and researched a bunch of reviews from various websites, mainly users. I found a overwhelming positive response to the Yamaha FG series guitars. So, I went to my local GC to test drive. While I was there I also gave the Seagull S6 a shot. I first tried out an FG700S, but after playing the 730S, I liked the sound and styling better on the 730S. After playing the Seagull, I liked it but the sound was a little more mellow and although the nut was a bit wider, it didn't bother me. I liked the neck profile on the Yamaha better than the Seagull. So, I took home the 730S and have been playing it about 1-2 hours a day. Couldn't be more pleased with my decision.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

First, welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here.

Good options for your starter guitar. Yamaha is really well built, reliable (I've had an FG-180 since 1969), and probably has a slicker, more "finished" look than the Seagull. However, I think Seagull could be just a bit easier to learn on (don't discount the comfort of slightly wider spacing when learning how to form chords, fret without buzzing, etc.) and might be a guitar you'd be happier with later, for tone, depth and projection.

You don't mention your gender, age or build (except "average" hand size), but these things MIGHT factor into a good starter guitar choice for you. Small or slight build? Might want a smaller (000, OM or parlor size) rather than a dread. Even with average hands, a slightly wider nut/fretboard can be a good thing when you're just learning. Also...just a thought...

With $400 as your top end, you could add a couple of Recording King models to your short list (RD-10 or RO-10) and get all solid woods, bone nut and saddle...and possibly end up with a guitar that you'd be happier with long term. But at this price level, quality control for the RK can be somewhat more iffy than Yamaha or Seagull...so it would be something to consider IF you're picking things out in person OR if you're buying from a reliable seller who'll ship (I'm thinking some of our friendly sponsors here on the forum, who might be willing to vet the instrument and set up if necessary before they ship). RD is a dread shape, so large and with the 1-11/16" nut; RO is 000, so more curvaceous, not as large, easier to perch on the lap, and has a 1-3/4" nut.

Lots of modern guitars are easy to play "out of the box," but whatever you get, don't be surprised if it needs a little adjustment of saddle, nut slots, truss rod, to make it play with the ease you definitely want when just starting to learn. This is really why you normally want to buy from a store where you can check out the merchandise...and from someone who's willing to be patient and helpful. Tons of us old-timers started back in the '60s (or earlier) when we didn't know there was such a thing as a "set-up" and wound up tearing our fingers to shreds for no good reason. Don't make that mistake.

My thought: if you can make that 2-hour jaunt (and preferably in company with a friend who plays) to somewhere with real guitar stores, it can make a big difference. Otherwise, check out some of the guys who are forum sponsors here.

Best of luck in your hunt...and keep checking in.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

The Yamaha every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

An S6 was my first guitar when I started playing just under 3 yrs ago for the first time at age 41. I bought a Martin 3 mos into playing and eventually sold the Seagull.

My biggest complaint was that it was a neck heavy guitar. It didn't balance properly on its own when resting on my leg. And I found it to be a much better fingerstyle guitar than a strummer.

I recently took a friend on a search for his first guitar too and we tried both of these guitars. Lo and behold, I found the same issue with the S6 -- neck heavy.

He bought the FG-730S. Great guitar!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 AM

I had a teacher who told me that as a newbie to guitar, it'd be awhile before I would start to disern/appreciate/prefer one guitar's tone over another. He was right. What did not take any time to figure out, however, was what body size and neck profile/nut width I preferred. So, if you can, try out guitars of different nut widths at the very least. If you can choose different body styles (dreads, to me, are kind of like hugging a cow!), even better. And finally, how the neck feels (took me a bit to appreciate the difference on that one, interestingly enough). You can do this using pretty much any brand of guitar, not just Yammies and Seagulls. What you're wanting to pay attention to is how a particular style/size of guitar/neck/nut feels to you. Do you have friends nearby who have guitars that you can play, to "test drive" various options?

I have a Seagull S6 and while the dreads aren't my favorite body style (mooo!!!), it sure sounds sweet to me. I'm a fingerstyle player, so the cedar top is heaven to me. Worth hugging the cow every now and again.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the comments here that it is well worth the two hours drive to play them yourself. You are about to build a relationship with a guitar that you will likely have over the next few years so a few hours drive is well worth it. Once you play both guitars (and any others there that catch your fancy) you'll know which one is for you.

rob
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses / input already!

I'm going to try see this afternoon whether or not any of the local pawn shops have either guitar in stock.

I'll be sure to report back, but in the mean time any additional input is welcome!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM

I own a Yamaha fgs730. I havan't tried much seagulls, but I heard those are good budget guitars. I believe Seagull are made in Canada if memory serves well. From what I recall at guitar center seagulls have more solid wood. Yamaha fgs 730 areSolid Spruce. I like mine Yamaha Fgs 730. It rings well. I also have a Yamaha Fgs 700 and the 720 12 string. I'd say both are good budget guitars. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evader53 View Post
Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses / input already!

I'm going to try see this afternoon whether or not any of the local pawn shops have either guitar in stock.

I'll be sure to report back, but in the mean time any additional input is welcome!
If you are going to check out pawn shops, be open to what might be there. A local pawn shop recently had a Guild GAD 30 in pretty much mint condition - I was seeking a Guild GAD 30R at the time - but, if I had wanted a GAD 30, it was a nice price...
Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaro Ariņo View Post
Owned both, still own the Yamaha.

The Seagull was a great guitar, though.
My exact situation. Honestly you can't go wrong either way, but the Yammy is superior IMHO.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Honestly as others have pointed out, you cannot go wrong with either. Try them both. Try them both again. Choose one and don't second guess yourself after the fact. Either will get you a long way.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM

I started on a Seagull S6, but I would go with the Yamaha. While the Seagull is a great guitar, the Yamahas tend to have (in my opinion) a better sound. Also, I found the Seagull neck to be too wide and the Yamahas feel more comfortable. I think the Yamaha string-spacing creates better muscle-memory for when you eventually buy other guitars.

But! If you're into the Seagull sound and/or feel, that is reason to go with it! It's your journey!

Martin 000-15M, Cordoba Fusion 14 RS, Alvarez AD60CE, Ibanez M510 Mandolin, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Fender Hwy 1 Tele, Fender MIM Strat w/ Custom 54 pups, American Fender Pro Jr
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Default Very First guitar -- Seagull S6 vs. Yamaha FG730S -- HELP!

It depends on what country music you want to play. If it is like Hank Sr then get the Seagull. If it is more like Hank 3, then get the Yamaha.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 PM

If you cannot yet discern comfort, tone, width needs, etc. between these two guitars, I suggest it matters little which one you get. If you stick with playing, you'll be experimenting with different size guitars, different tone woods, string spacing, etc., and start to understand what you gravitate toward. That's where it gets fun! I started with a Yamaha but soon discovered wider strings, fingerstyle, and mahogany! But I didn't know any of that when looking for my first guitar.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM

I went out to purchase my 1st guitar a few months ago just like you I had never played and I also read a lot of reviews. I was trying to decide between the FG700S and the Seagull S6 being I couldn't play I got someone to play for me. I tried not only those 2 guitars but anything else I could find in my price range. I ended up with a FG740 only because I got it for the same price as the FG730. The Yamahas to me sounded a lot better I made my final succession with my eyes closed and picked the one that sounded best then made sure it felt good in my hands. My LGS gave me an awesome deal.

Welcome to the forum and have fun.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 PM

My vote's for the Yamaha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion