The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Mystery guitar

I just came across this interesting little beauty on the website of one of our new sponsors. Anyone know what it is? Reminds me of a vintage bowling alley for some reason but I still think it's cool...

Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 PM

Late-50's Hagstrom, not too easy to come by here in the US but TMK not terribly valuable either. Cool period looks (I could see one of these being played through a Magnatone amp at an oldies show) but nothing to write home about in the tone department from what I've read (I played a few Hagstroms back in the '60s with the same pickups and I'd tend to agree), and that dual-screw/individual-saddle arrangement is a royal pain in the keister to set up (they used that same design on the '70s Swedes - it was very easy to lose/break/strip those tiny screws if you weren't careful); makes a nice addition to a Euro collection but IMO not much more - if it's as minty-clean as it looks in the photos, worth about $800-900 in my book...
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I could see one of these being played through a Magnatone amp at an oldies show...
I've seen (but not played) this guitar at HCG and it is indeed very minty. Funny you should mention Magnatone amps. HCG is also a Magnatone dealer.

-- Steve

“You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts”
(attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynihan)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM

J.R., you come across the most interesting electric guitars. I have no idea what it is.

Is the "grid" between the pickups just for cosmetics or does it have an application?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks for info, Steve and Steve! Interesting guitar. Dru, there may be some kind of resonance going on there under the grid between the two pickups. Maybe kind of like a soundhole if the guitar is semi-hollow. It looks like that assembly is all one piece. It looks like there are individual rotary dials, presumably for individual volume control of each of the pickups. Those vintage "radio" buttons are great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars