The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Okay have you started playing with it and gonna give us your impression???? Yeah I don't know what your room mates guitar is either <ginz>!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Treat your guitar well and it will love you back!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have never owned or played a Seagull, but I've heard a lot of great things about them on this board. I was in my local GC yesterday and held one in my hands, but I got out of there fast before I bought it -- I already own too many guitars.

About ten years ago I bought a very clean used Yammy off CL. They are built like brick battleships. It's frickin' heavier than my Martin HD-28! There's a reason Yamaha is one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world: quality. The same reason Honda automobiles sell year after year. To take nothing away from Seagull, I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Yammy.

Find a good teacher. Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM

I don't own a Yamaha but a good friend of mine does and it is indeed a very nice sounding guitar. I love Seagulls mostly because of the combination of tone woods they use which cherry, cedar, and whatever else they use, I find, creates just a beautiful sound pallet.

That said, the very best sounding Seagull I've played was comparatively easy to overdrive, as they say, making all of its beautiful sounds bleed into each other, resulting in a muddy sonic mess when I strummed it with a medium-heavy to heavy attack. Just not suited for heavy strumming, those Seagulls, in my limited opinion; but absolutely beautiful for a lighter attack, and comfortable to play.

It is difficult to ignore just how overwhelmingly people seem to give their sincerest and hearty endorsements to nearly every model of dread that Yamaha turns out. For you I recommend the Yamaha, but I will probably get myself an S6 some day, because it's such an iconic guitar and I'm an infrequent strummer who plays mostly with bare fingers. But you want something whose sound will hold together when you're strumming forcefully, and that's likely going to be the Yamaha not the Seagull.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 AM

Congrats on the Yamaha! That top looks nice.

Looks like your roommate has a Taylor 814ce....
Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 AM

Congrats on your new acquisition!

Me, too. NGD! Yay! I love new guitar days, always will.

I have a friend who had a FG730S for sale on Craig's List, and I did a straight swap with him yesterday morning for a pantry cabinet that I had for sale. His wife is pleased, he is out of her virtual dog house (being married is a compromise ), and I am pleased. A nice trade, and everybody is happy. Works for me.

The Yamaha is a few years old, nearly immaculate, light as feather, and has barely been played. I'll have to adjust the truss rod, nut slots, and saddle tomorrow, as it still has the factory action, and perhaps had the original strings, as well! Looks like light D'Addario strings, to me, with the colored ball ends.

At this price range, it may be considered entry level, but honestly, the sound coming out of the guitar, even with those vastly dead strings, is far better than what I recall hearing when I first began playing, all those years ago. I wish that this had been my first guitar - I might have been much more interested at the time.

I worked on the guitar yesterday morning, checking and polishing frets, oiling the fretboard and bridge, tightening down tuner bushings, adjusting the tuner buttons (not too easy, not too tight - medium resistance is my preference with these types of tuners). Gave it a good cleaning. Installed JP phosphor-bronze mediums, took a few burrs out of the nut slots and off the saddle. Put some powdered graphite in the slots, stretched it out, tuned up, and took off.

It's got a good, open, airy sound with nice depth and bass, bright trebles, and a sweet, exceptionally playable neck. But it needs the tarnation played out of it ... I swear, I'd be willing to bet that it was only used for a few months, and then cased up; it's probably been under a bed, or stuck in a closet, gathering dust for quite a while.

I have three other guitars, and one was in the $5000.00 + bracket when new. It is the only guitar I own that I would designate as "great", with the others being good to very, very good. But IMHO, this Yamaha is a steal, and I'm looking forward to really putting it through the paces and working it out. I've a student who saw it in the afternoon, and he is already industriously thinking about how to take it off my hands.

Nah, he can just use it when he comes over. This one is a beaut and a keeper, despite being the cheapest one in the rack.

You may upgrade one day, but hang on to the Yamaha now that you have it; you'll be glad that you had the foresight.

Cool beans, eh? I hope you really enjoy yours!

... JT
Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Good luck with your new Yamaha. As a big Yammie fan I am sure you will not regret your purchase. This morning I picked up a Yamaha CG150S for peanuts. Last week I bought a LJ6 ARE which I have not been able to put down since. I have a FG110 which is amazing too. I always found the FG730S a very comfortable guitar on the knee but never got around to buying one. Need to put that right maybe. Had the same experience with the S6 but actually bought the Mini-Jumbo. Either way I don't think you would have been disappointed. Enjoy.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Good luck with your new Yamaha. As a big Yammie fan I am sure you will not regret your purchase. This morning I picked up a Yamaha CG150S for peanuts. Last week I bought a LJ6 ARE which I have not been able to put down since. I have a FG110 which is amazing too. I always found the FG730S a very comfortable guitar on the knee but never got around to buying one. Need to put that right maybe. Had the same experience with the S6 but actually bought the Mini-Jumbo. Either way I don't think you would have been disappointed. Enjoy.
Another one Bunny? Good Gosh! I'd best get crackin!

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Welcome Evader!

I am an avid fan of both these guitars, Yammys are built well and they have been in the music business for many years. Seagulls are built by Godin who are in Canada and they have access to much better quality woods, and they are so easy to deal with. They use Tusq nut and saddle which make sustain better and help with intonation. The Yahama sounds great out of the box and plugs in to an amp or PA. The Yahama to me has a bit more highs but lack in the low end. One thing you may want to know for future issues is go with the one that has a better low end and compensate with brighter strings such as 80/20 bronze, you can still get the low end rumble and depending on the strings you buy can acheive a well rounded sound.

I would go with the Seagull either the S6 cedar top or the S6 spruce for about the same price. I bought my first guitar 4 years ago and it is a Seagul with a spruce top and a pickup. It is an easy guitar to learn on and will give you many years of enjoyment.

Warranty issues are a big deal and Yamaha is located all over the world but not here in America so you have to deal with shipping costs. Seagull is near by and have a better warranty if you ever need it. I have never needed anything but a good setup and a minor adjustment to the neck after 3 1/2 years of everyday play.

Buy the Seagull as it is more versatile and later on get a sound hole pickup installed when you get to where you want to plug in.

Good luck and Happy hunting!

Here is their phone number! Call them just to ask questions, they speak english ya know! 514-457-7977

Sorry for not reading the entire thread before posting my huge response, congrats on the Yammy they do sound great.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts

Last edited by pfflyer55; 08-10-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Another one Bunny? Good Gosh! I'd best get crackin!
Been in denial for too long Kip. Two new Yamaha's in the space of ten days. Seriously I am bowled over by the LJ6. That ARE system really works. One of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned. The CG150SA was local and I have never owned a classical guitar so good result. Just don't know what strings to put on it. Classical Gas here I come or maybe some Bach?!?! Waddya think?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Congrats on the guitar. Happy Jammin.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Happy NGD!
I hope she gives you many good years.

Btw, your friend's guitar appears to be a Tsylor 314ce.
Don't hold me to that, as in pics the 3 and 4 series are quite similar.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 08-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Been in denial for too long Kip. Two new Yamaha's in the space of ten days. Seriously I am bowled over by the LJ6. That ARE system really works. One of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned. The CG150SA was local and I have never owned a classical guitar so good result. Just don't know what strings to put on it. Classical Gas here I come or maybe some Bach?!?! Waddya think?
What ever your lil heart desires! (Okay maybe ears would be a better choice)... Happy for ya! (and still envious)

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion