The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Default Godin multiac or Micheal Kelly N6

Trying to decide on which one of these might be the better choice in terms of tone, playability and quality. Or is there some thing else worth exploring?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Godin, every time...if money is no object, Kirk Sand!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:49 PM

What do you mean? Can you pls elaborate?

Money is an object.

Have you tried both the Godin and Micheal Kelly and can offer a more in depth reason how/why you came to this conclusion?

The two models I’m trying to decide over are

Godin Multics nylon AS

And

Micheal Kelly Rick Turner N6

Or for around $1000 can you recommend anything else similar to those?

I have two top end nylon string acoustics but would like a slim line ‘electric’ nylon to add a different flavour. I don’t play classical but finger style.

Ta

Last edited by dweezil; 12-19-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Godin is known for making excellent, professional quality guitars in North America for decades. The Multiac is a well known instrument and has a definite following. The Kelly N6 is made off-shore, probably Korea, is designed by Rick Turner (a well known and highly respected luthier) and has quite an interesting look to it, very modern. My suggestion is that each will be a very good instrument, but I would go with the Godin if ordering on-line for known quality and consistency. If you can try both instruments, just get the one you like best. The biggest issue with buying on-line with this kind of instrument is less the quality and playability but more the tone - electric nylon string guitars tend to have a tone you like or you don't like. Godin in particular spends a lot of effort designing their electronics - not an off-the-shelf package and one reason their version has lasted on the market for so long.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil View Post
What do you mean? Can you pls elaborate?

Money is an object.

Have you tried both the Godin and Micheal Kelly and can offer a more in depth reason how/why you came to this conclusion?

The two models I’m trying to decide over are

Godin Multics nylon AS

And

Micheal Kelly Rick Turner N6

Or for around $1000 can you recommend anything else similar to those?

I have two top end nylon string acoustics but would like a slim line ‘electric’ nylon to add a different flavour. I don’t play classical but finger style.

Ta
Are you looking for synth access? The Godin synth access guitars don't have a great plugged in tone, imho--they're really made for the synth.

The Godin Duet Ambiance models, on the other hand, have possibly the best acoustic pickup system I've ever used...if you're looking to plug straight in, I'd check out those models over the SA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-30-2017, 08:36 AM

I opted for a Dual Ambiance and boy it's fantastic! The synth side of things seemed a bit gimmicky/cheesey. The Duet produces some really lovely amp'd tones. Thanks all. :-)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 PM

And if I may ask, what amp are you using with this guitar?
Thanks, Ce.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil View Post
I opted for a Dual Ambiance and boy it's fantastic! The synth side of things seemed a bit gimmicky/cheesey. The Duet produces some really lovely amp'd tones. Thanks all. :-)
Did you get the nylon or the steel?

Last edited by Song Writer; 01-09-2018 at 02:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical