The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 PM

Default GS mini pickup question

I know it’s been covered in numerous topics. I’ve won a GS Mini Hog on eBay and want to put a soundhole pickup in it. I’ve heard numerous bad tales about him associated with the ES GO.

I’m probably going to go with a Baggs M1a or Fishman Rare Earth but May push the boat out for a M80 or RE Blend.

My question is can I cut off the end pins on these pickups and install this end pin in its place to allow for a proper fit on the GS Minis endpin..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F281723950097

Has anyone done this?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I know it’s been covered in numerous topics. I’ve won a GS Mini Hog on eBay and want to put a soundhole pickup in it. I’ve heard numerous bad tales about him associated with the ES GO.

I’m probably going to go with a Baggs M1a or Fishman Rare Earth but May push the boat out for a M80 or RE Blend.

My question is can I cut off the end pins on these pickups and install this end pin in its place to allow for a proper fit on the GS Minis endpin..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F281723950097

Has anyone done this?
I wouldn't think there would be any problem at all with doing that.

I've always been comfortable with using the Fishman jacks and I went to the hardware store and found a thin stainless steel washer that completely covered the area where the Taylor end pin was screwed in place. I had to file the washer center hole a bit to fit the standard Fishman jack, but I felt much more comfortable with that as opposed to the Ebay offerings.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Timely question. I've been messing with my Taylor GS Mini with ES Go pickup today. The pickup and jack are connected together by a 1/8" jack and cable that runs from the output jack. With an adapter, you could plug something else into that 1/8" jack.

The ES Go makes my Taylor sound like an electric guitar. On a whim, I tried the guitar plugged into a Zoom G1Xon effects pedal and selected the acoustic sim setting. It sounds very good! I may keep the ES Go.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1953 View Post
Timely question. I've been messing with my Taylor GS Mini with ES Go pickup today. The pickup and jack are connected together by a 1/8" jack and cable that runs from the output jack. With an adapter, you could plug something else into that 1/8" jack.

The ES Go makes my Taylor sound like an electric guitar. On a whim, I tried the guitar plugged into a Zoom G1Xon effects pedal and selected the acoustic sim setting. It sounds very good! I may keep the ES Go.
I use a Baggs Session DI and it makes a world of difference to my DiMarzio Angel pickup in my Martin D Jr. If it wasn’t for all the reports of hums and buzzes I’d probaby just go the easy route and get the ES GO.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification