The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffenauger View Post
Living two hundred miles from the nearest Taylor Dealer I haven't yet seen or played one in person. However, I love my Natural Taylor 600ce Special, and having worked with wood for my entire life I love the look of Maple. So I'm unable to comprehend the confusion of ideas that would lead someone to stain or paint a Maple guitar. But that's just the geezer in me.
Maple is a beautiful wood that really makes any guitar stand out from the dark hog/rosewood crowd.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM

Sure seems like a steep price for a guitar that has laminated b&s.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 AM

Great comment, to be sure! And obviously an important consideration when spending a fair amount money on a good guitar.

But, consider that many fine instruments actually have laminated backs and sides - by design. Often times that helps with amplification by reducing feedback. The core wood used is solid Poplar. Not a plywood that might otherwise have voids or the like. To my way of thinking, "layered" is a better term to use. And, it's said that 90% of a guitar sound comes from the top, and this one does have a solid spruce top.

This guitar has very good sound played acoustically. Plug it in to a good acoustic amp, however, (I use an AER Compact 60) and it really shines.

This particular model has a number of upgrades over the standard 214ce and is actually quite a good value. In addition to the Expression System 2,it has a maple neck, full gloss, and a deluxe hardshell case. Not to mention the beautiful quilted maple - which is truly outstanding on these models.

Have you seen one in person and/or had the opportunity to play it? You just might be pleasantry impressed. I know I was...

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 10-20-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 AM

That does look really nice. I think the lighter back and sides really suit well the Taylor GA shape. Reminds of the Ovangkol 414ce which is probably my favourite Taylor.

I assume it is still laminate however, or has Taylor changed their 100 / 200 back and woods policy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 AM

I've had my 214CE Deluxe (black model) for about 3 months now. I absolutely love it! I was a bit reluctant to spend $1300 on a non-all solid guitar but so far no regrets. I really like that QM!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Great comment, to be sure! And obviously an important consideration when spending a fair amount money on a good guitar.

But, consider that many fine instruments actually have laminated backs and sides - by design. Often times that helps with amplification by reducing feedback. The core wood used is solid Poplar. Not a plywood that might otherwise have voids or the like. To my way of thinking, "layered" is a better term to use. And, it's said that 90% of a guitar sound comes from the top, and this one does have a solid spruce top.

This guitar has very good sound played acoustically. Plug it in to a good acoustic amp, however, (I use an AER Compact 60) and it really shines.

This particular model has a number of upgrades over the standard 214ce and is actually quite a good value. In addition to the Expression System 2,it has a maple neck, full gloss, and a deluxe hardshell case. Not to mention the beautiful quilted maple - which is truly outstanding on these models.

Have you seen one in person and/or had the opportunity to play it? You just might be pleasantry impressed. I know I was...

Oh. My. Goodness! Wowzers mines more curly but that is like my 97 615 long gone.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffenauger View Post
Living two hundred miles from the nearest Taylor Dealer I haven't yet seen or played one in person. However, I love my Natural Taylor 600ce Special, and having worked with wood for my entire life I love the look of Maple. So I'm unable to comprehend the confusion of ideas that would lead someone to stain or paint a Maple guitar. But that's just the geezer in me.
Oh, I like natural too, but in my eyes, that brown sugar finish looks delicious.

That QM Deluxe the OP got is a very nice looking guitar.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post

E

That is beautiful Will. Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks very much to all for the compliments.

We were away on a short vacation and I was driving right by a shop I had been to before. I actually wasn't in the market for a new guitar - which should always be the first clue that a GAS attack is about to hit - but I stopped into "just look around for a minute".

But, when I saw that one and recognized it, well let's just say it followed me home :-)

Will
Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Oh. My. Goodness! Wowzers mines more curly but that is like my 97 615 long gone.
Can't wait to see yours! I think you might've said it's on layaway? Even so I'm sure you could get a picture of it sent to you. One that you would then share with all of us of course :-)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Taylor has been pretty open about wanting to substitute maple as a more sustainable alternative to rosewood. As part of gaining acceptance, they stained the maple dark down to make it look like most people expect for an acoustic guitar, most of which are rosewood or dark brown mahogany.

I have two maple Taylors (not stained) but happen to like the brown sugar stain.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 PM

If they ever decide to produce a blonde maple 418e/458e (all-solid woods), I'm in...
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 PM

My apologies to the OP, as I wasn't trying to "hijack" his thread. I actually started out by trying to PM him, to avoid doing just that.

But, there is a certain irony here. In a year where I had not planned - nor thought possible - to get anything new, I have actually acquired 2 Taylors since June. A rare spurt of acquisition for me (as of late).

The 1st one was the 214ce QMDeluxe (shown in posts above) that I was extremely fortunate to get - through a very nice deal.

The 2nd one happens to be the other model discussed in this thread - that being one of the newer "Brown Sugar" stained maple guitars. That guitar (in like new condition) came to me via an "even-up" trade.

There's been a bit of "back & forth" about the dark coloration on the Brown Sugars. I happen to like it a lot. Here's a pic of the 614ce I received about a month ago:

So - 2 beautiful Maple Taylors - neither of which I had any idea I would be fortunate enough to own. And, I am completely happen with each of them - such a deal! I am a Blessed man, indeed.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Hey no worries! Gotta talk about something. May as well be bantering back n forth until I can show mine. Love the Dark stain. Local dealer has a 618 in dark stain. Super looking guitars. Im actually on a fall road trip vacation to Wyoming. My local shop isn't the take a pic type shop anyway. We have to live vicariously through you Taylorplayer! In the meantime how do you like the ES2? Longtime K&K guy here... I use Ultrasound amps.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 PM

Congratulations on your new purchase.
I really wanted to try one of the Maple 214's but none of the local stores had one. I ended up buying the Breedlove Studio Dread which is (laminated/layered?) Maple B&S. It was on sale for $500 so I thought I would give it a shot. I really could not afford much more now and my old Yamaha is just plain shot. I would be anxious to here your review of the Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion