The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 PM

If you're thinking of a 00-size guitar, then I'd try a Goodall Parlor. They're the loudest 00 I've played, with the most projection and presence. He makes both a 12 and 14-fret. They can be had used in the $2800 to $4000 range, depending on age and woods.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 PM

play a Martin CEO 7 and you will never understAnd how they can make this guitar almost as loud as a DREAD ! ;-)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Cool They Are THAT Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
That Breedlove Moon Light that RossM mentions sure is the direction I'd like to see more builders go. Three and a half pounds! That takes some guts to put that out there. I wish there was one close to me to try out as I really like light guitars. All the ones I've ever encountered, no matter the builder, have impressed me. There's a fourteen fretter for you rokdog49.
I was just playing one of those Moon Light guitars at my local shop here in Corvallis, Bullfrog Music... they've had 3 come and go since they were offered, and this one is the nicest of the lot... incredibly light and responsive for a brand-new guitar, very nice volume and tone. I was a bit put-off by the look of it at first, but I have to say that the fact that it's a GREAT sounding guitar for $1499, made in Oregon, has gone a long way towards increasing the thing's appearance!

If you have the dough, I have to second (or third?) the nomination for a Goodall Parlor. The ones I've played have all been very loud, far beyond their size. I believe that James' Parlors are actually OO size.

But then, I AM a Goodall fan-boy!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossM View Post
First off I am completely unqualified to answer this question...
I was in the local Git Shop and they had one of these:
USA Concert Moon Light Sitka-Mahogany
I know it is a Concert and not a Parlor, but it was about the loudest little thing I've ever heard.
Anyway....
Thank you, though, for commenting about this guitar because I have been very interested in it since the day it arrived on Breedlove's landing page. My question, though, is about the burst. It's subdued on the Breedlove site and in a few of the pictures I've seen elsewhere, but there are also pictures--are the dealers overdoing the color/exposure adjustment--that get that finish closer to a clown-ish burst. Your observation/opinion re: the Moon Light's burst?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM

I think there's a lot of great thoughts on parlors already posted. From a historical perspective, I'd personally consider anything below a Martin Style 2 (12" lower bout) to be a parlor guitar. As parlor guitars were originally designed for ladies in the 19th century to play in the parlor. Sure beats "the vapors" and it's a lot cheaper than a fainting couch.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/wp-content...e-1024x274.jpg

As previously mentioned, Martin's were always very specific regarding their model's intended use and marketed them as such in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but I surmise the blues guitarists of the 30's, folk movement of the 60's and the Eric Clapton unplugged session pretty much blew the premise that a narrower necked 14 fret guitar could only be used as a rhythm guitar out of the water. I don't think any of the CF's have minded:

0000, M, and F - Grand Auditorium

000 and C - Auditorium

00 and R - Grand Concert

0 - Concert

1 - Standard

2 - Ladies

2 1/2 - Child's

5 - Junior

Identifying Martin Guitar Sizes by Lower Bout Width

12 Fret

Dreadnaught - 15 5/8"

000 - 15"

00 - 14 1/8"

0 - 13 1/2

1 - 12 3/4"

2 - 12"

2 1/2 - 11 5/8"

3 - 1 1/4"

3 1/2 - 10 11/16"

5 - 11 1/4"

14 Fret

Dreadnaught - 15 5/8"

000 - 15"

00 - 14 5/16"

0 - 13 1/2

5 - 11 1/4"

Instead of pretending I know what I'm talking about, I'll just pop a link in here where I'm lifting most of my material from. It's a pretty fascinating read for "woodlies", as my ex referred to us guitar geeks:

http://www.vintagemartin.com/sizes.html

Outside of the Martin universe, traditional parlors were usually ladder braced, giving them quite a bit of pop in the mid-range and trebles. In my experience the well built ones project extremely well, but often have difficulty competing in a jam involving a banjo or mandolin. My Fraulini Erma is modeled after a parlor sized Oscar Schmidt and is a very loud guitar. Perfect for fingerstyle blues, but it strums pretty well too. The ladder bracing and oak/sitka combination gives it a very aggressive sound with a lot of earthy overtones.

Julius Borges OM-18 (Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany)
Bob Altman OM-2D (Adirondack/Brazilian Rosewood)
John Greven 00-12 (Lutz/Brazilian Rosewood)
Fraulini Erma (Sitka/White Oak)
Harmony H162 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Franklin Jumbo (Engleman/EIR)
Ken Hooper 12 Fret D28 (Carpathian/Honduran Rosewood)

Last edited by Gallopinghost; 10-25-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 AM

Default Larrivee P-03 or P-05

I love my Larrivee Parlor, which is the 12-fret P-05, basically the same as a P-03, but it's gloss (not satin) and the rosette is abalone and not herringbone. Maybe some other minor cosmetic differences, such as prettier spruce and mahogany and flame maple body binding rather than just regular maple binding, which is still mighty nice.

Measurements
Scale Length: 24"
Upper Bout: 9.5"
Waist: 7.75"
Lower Bout: 13.25"
Body Depth: 4.5"
Nut Width: 1-3/4"
Saddle Spacing: 2-7/32"

With a body 4.5" deep, either of these babies can really project and the tone is mighty fine. They can also be had for a much more reasonable price than, say, a somewhat comparable Martin 0-18VS model, and you get a lot more for your money. Also made in USA.

Here is a fine example of a Larrivee P-03, played by the Danish guitarist Søren Sebber Larsen.

Larrivée P-03

My P-05 is the best parlor I've played but, as others have mentioned, the definition of "parlor guitar" can be quite vague. It is certainly not a toy guitar and is wonderful whether played fingerstyle or flat-picked. Again, with a body 4.5" deep it is a full sounding guitar IMO, although it will never be quite as powerful as a dread.

Hope this helps.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 10-26-2016, 05:13 AM

The loudest and best I have played was a dave king parlour. Brook also makes some powerful parlour guitars as do collings. My Eastman e20p is a fantastic parlour that punches well above it's weight if your looking in the lower end budget range.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 AM

Not sure I understand why, if volume is a concern, there would be interest in a parlor size. I'm sure some are louder than others but at the end of the day, there ain't no replacement for displacement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion