The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2017, 12:51 AM

Default Big guitar manufacturers and carbon fiber

Looking at rainsong guitars today and I was wondering, why haven't any of the big guitar manufacturers (Martin, Taylor, Gibson) begun producing carbon fiber guitars?

Or even a company like Fender buying one of the current carbon fiber guitar makers, adding it to their list of sub brands and expanding it through access to their overseas manufacturing and distribution networks.

I'm not saying this should or shouldn't happen, just wondering why it hasn't. The big guys always seem to be trying to find the next niche in the overcrowded guitar market and cheaper carbon fiber guitars would be something I would think somebody would pursue.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Excellent question.

As traditional tonewoods become more and more scarce, and the carbon fiber manufacturing process becomes more and more refined and perfected; one would think this will be an area of potential growth in an otherwise saturated market.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I would think they would be concerned with "legitimizing" the concept of non-wood guitars. As a result more people might try a carbon fiber guitar and realize how good these guitars are...and so further threaten the wood guitar industry. The short answer is that they don't want to eat their young.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjansen View Post
The big guys always seem to be trying to find the next niche in the overcrowded guitar market and cheaper carbon fiber guitars would be something I would think somebody would pursue.
CF guitars are not "cheaper" than cheaper wood guitars.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I believe I read here that Taylor makes more guitars in a week than the largest CF manufacturer makes in a year. Pretty much a niche market. The big manufacturers are geared up for production; with CF guitars being made in a mold, the tooling costs for mass production would be huge, with no guarantee of a return on investment.

Other than the final result is a guitar, the production process of wood and carbon fiber are vastly different.

I appreciate the fact that our carbon fiber guitars are not mass produced, but, like a small wood shop using jigs, are carefully made one at a time. For my choice, it isn't about how many guitars any particular builder makes, but how the guitar I choose sounds, plays, looks, and fits me.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Martin made an X series guitar with HPL sides/back and a graphite top. It had a shorter production run than the aluminum topped versions.

There is a lot of hand work very specific to CF construction which has no analog in wood guitar manufacture. The barrier to entry is high.

Also, there are three "architectures" of CF guitar construction; Emerald makes essentially an unbraced archtop, RainSong makes an unbraced flattop, and CA makes a braced flattop. There is no Martin D-28 to copy.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Guest 928

Peavey purchased Composite Acoustics and refined the CA guitars. I have no idea how the purchase has worked out for Peavey.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Peavey purchased Composite Acoustics and refined the CA guitars. I have no idea how the purchase has worked out for Peavey.
I was just going to mention that, Peavey that is.

I had expected new models, budget models to come out. It seems that Peavey left CA quite autonomous from themselves. I was expecting a foreign factory that would drop costs for a budget line.

Journey is turning heads with all their features at a low price point (overseas production). When Don Ross does an 8 minute video of your product, it really says something. I haven't seen him jump on the endorsement bandwagon, so I think it is quite authentic. If you don't know what I mean, here it is.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Not that McPherson is a big player, but they are very well regarded and have ventured into the CF market with the Sable and smaller travel guitar (formerly branded as "Kevin Michael' guitars, until recently).
Old 09-16-2017, 11:10 AM

It really is a niche product. The market is very small, and is considerably more expensive to produce than a wood instrument the big players are already geared up to make. Not at all surprising they have stayed out. The staticness of CA after Peavey took them over says something about their enthusiasm?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Its a completely different manufacturing process. Their current tooling and processes aren't set up for an all CF instrument..... As such - there is quite a bit of R&D involved with bringing an idea to market..

Honestly - there is a reason that companies like Fender are buying CF Acoustic guitar makers. Its just so much less expensive to buy somebody who has already worked out the bugs and did all the hard work getting a product to market rather than doing all the R&D, pilot production, warranty testing, and the rest on their own....
Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I understand why any of the CF builders might welcome a take-over by a major tradional guitar builder. Lots of money to be made, I s'pose. If the opportunity were to come along, personally I hope none of them would actually go for it. As a customer, I very much like the way things are right now. Great products, personalized service, even participation here. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I understand why any of the CF builders might welcome a take-over by a major tradional guitar builder. Lots of money to be made, I s'pose. If the opportunity were to come along, personally I hope none of them would actually go for it. As a customer, I very much like the way things are right now. Great products, personalized service, even participation here. It doesn't get any better than that.
Yes , I was sorry to hear about Gibson buying Emerald. Let's hope There will be no change to their famous customer service.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Guest 928

Peavey spent a lot of time and money in refining its CA line. One of the problems of such a takeover is that CF instruments are still in the development stage and while Peavey was busy reworking an old line of instruments the other CF makers were plowing ahead with innovations in materials and shapes. If this forum is any indication, the new materials and shapes are leading the CF market.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Yes , I was sorry to hear about Gibson buying Emerald. Let's hope There will be no change to their famous customer service.
Where did your hear that? Did I miss that news while I've been under a rock?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber