The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Actually oil is at historical low prices, and we don't seem to be running out of it,either, that incorrect prediction has been around for over 50 years, they just keep finding more of it.

Oil and gas-generated electricity is still the cheapest to produce, too. However, I'm glad to see us moving to "renewables", even though it is more expensive to produce electricity.
I don't want to be taken as anti-car or anti-oil. I use plenty of both and don't know how my work or family life would continue without them. Especially being responsible for a large part of operations in an enterprise that never shuts down.

That said, I cannot stop thinking of renewables and different and very likely better ways. I'm 11 years into our making a move where we're less dependent on cars. One plus is a noticeable difference in health and fitness.

In that time a wind farm has been built that's visible from a lot of the city. A new large city garage has solar on the roof and so do some downtown buildings now.

We also garden and love our local food products.

The sum total is when I walk or bike for a work errand after a lunch at home and see the wind farm or solar panels it seems like the smart thing to do even if it's not yet the cheapest. When I read about a natural disaster, economic or political forces changing oil markets it seems more smart or right to see that wind farm and do the job bike/ped style.

Then we have just being selfish. My hybrid transportation model lets me get away with a nice treat or two each day. It was my wife's apple cake for lunch, and there's local ale in the fridge for tonight.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
If you want to be EMP proof , you will need to go DC and keep corruptible devices out of your circuitry . AC dies with an EMP .
Solar is fine until darkness renders it useless . The entire process of batteries from beginning to end is very non green .
The most reliable electricity sour in todays world remains the grid . Everything else in a partial option . Maybe someday .......
I don't know where you got your info Otter. I've spent my 30+ year career in power production. Electro-magnetic pulses and interference mainly impact instrumentation and control systems. These are low-volt DC circuits. The actual 500, 230 and 115 kVAC transmission lines making up the bulk of the Western US grid are not affected by EMP/EMI. Certainly the DC control systems regulating the grid can be. Don't forget there is at least one major DC transmission line connecting the power-hungry California customers with our surplus green power from the Pac NW. The control circuitry for this also can be knocked out by EMP/EMI. Like so many technically complex subjects, searching the internet will reveal a lot more fiction, folklore and fantasy than actual fact on this.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
...When I read about a natural disaster, economic or political forces changing oil markets it seems more smart or right to see that wind farm and do the job bike/ped style....
About the only power sources that remained on-line following hurricane Harvey were the South Texas Project's nuclear plants.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
About the only power sources that remained on-line following hurricane Harvey were the South Texas Project's nuclear plants.
I was aware of that, and some fellow nerd/techies were pursuing news on how data centers and newer fiber construction did with the recent storms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic